Note to New Members ×

2010 World Cup of Beer

Pat Donnelly

I'll be attempting to brew a pale ale... Cincinnati pale ale. the recipe from John palmer's book. it's pretty straight forward and very simple for begginers. No need for secondary.

Got all my stuff separately.. I didn't want to do a kit beer.

some of the kit beers are excellent and you usually get a a few bucks off, depends on the kit and what recipe but one of the big winners around here is a kit beer from the local store.

doing all grain? or extract?

if you like anything lighter than brown ales, make the jump to all grain right away, it's not hard at all and ignore all the uptight BS you see about it there's a ton of homebrew *******s that love to make things way over complicated.

if you plan on doing a lot of porters or stouts all grain has little advantage other than it tends to be cheaper and has more body but the body issue can be fixed with some maltodextrin.

good luck, just remember not to over think it.

My favorites beers right now are IPA's and Ipa's are pretty rare in Canada. Looks like us canadian don't really like hoppy beers. So this is where I want to go now. I will probably try to make different beers later but for now if I can do an IPA I like I'll be happy.

I'm going extract for the first few batches.. want to keep it simple. I have all my ingredient

1.5 kg ou amber dry

2.5 kg of pale ale extract (syrup)

hops: Cascade and northern brewers

I just realize that my cooking pot was a little small for 3 gallons. I need to find a bigger one if I want to avoid disaster !

thanks for the advice.

My favorites beers right now are IPA's and Ipa's are pretty rare in Canada. Looks like us canadian don't really like hoppy beers. So this is where I want to go now. I will probably try to make different beers later but for now if I can do an IPA I like I'll be happy.

I'm going extract for the first few batches.. want to keep it simple. I have all my ingredient

1.5 kg ou amber dry

2.5 kg of pale ale extract (syrup)

hops: Cascade and northern brewers

I just realize that my cooking pot was a little small for 3 gallons. I need to find a bigger one if I want to avoid disaster !

thanks for the advice.

in a pinch you can just use two pots to boil if need be. if you want a taste adventure with hops try dry hopping, this recipe is the best one I've found, I scale it down to 5 gal and simplify the hops a bit though http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/Mike_McDole_-_Pliny_The_Elder_NB_Kicker.html