Note to New Members ×

ohh ****!

bobdea

[quote name=Beckmann AG;304702

So realistically' date=' how many protos would you have to build to determine the 'correct' recipe?[/quote]

I am pretty good at getting things sorted out quick but this project has a lot of variables I have no info on. 3 or 4 boards should do it. The process normally takes less attempts but the butterfly and hi camber are new to me.

BV

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike T has the glass proto and I'll try to get him to write his findings on it. From my understanding, it needs to be more damp and a bit softer as you have to be right on it or it gets a little upset and lets you know

BV

OK, here goes. I've ridden it it on two separate days... the first, was firm but not icy but not terribly good grooming and softened from there. The second, conditions were all over the place but I only rode the Angrry on a run that started out frozen solid - barely left a mark on it - and softened slightly from there but still wasn't exactly what I'd call forgiving.

Angrry vs Madd, Day 1, variable hard to medium, poor grooming:

Initiation -> Angrry

Grippiness -> Madd

Ease of tightening turn -> Madd

Hard snow -> Madd

Soft snow -> Angrry

Ride centered -> Angrry

Move fore/aft -> Madd

Angrry vs VSR 170 metal, Day 2, really smooth ice and hardpack:

Initiation -> Angrry

Grippiness -> VSR

Ease of tightening turn -> VSR

Hard snow -> VSR

Not so hard snow -> tie

The Madd and Angrry are two similar but very different boards IMHO. I really like the way the Angrry initiates and it's ridiculously stable for a short board, even more so than the MAdd. It's also more predictable. Metal boards and the original Madd blow away the glass Angrry in terms of grippiness on hardpack and ice. It took a lot if work to bend the Angrry in the middle of a turn - ask noschoolrider, he saw me breathing heavy, often, on Sunday. I found if I wanted to tighted a turn on the Angrry the most efficient way to do so was get in the back seat. The initiation on the Angrry is just ridiculously good. Add some grippiness, soften the middle without sacrificing torsional stiffness, and we have a winner. As soon as the snow gets soft enough so that grippiness isn't of paramount concerns, the Anggry became more fun IMHO, due to the better initiation and increased stability. If the Angrry winds up being titanal, all the better b/c I would prefer it 19.5 or 20 wide.

In any case... I'm gonna be keeping in touch w. Bruce on how this develops.

Thanks for the review Mike. But I thought the orig 158 you have is pretty clapped out, no?

It is. I suspect my comparison would have been different on a newer one... but not *too* different. Something tells me a less-worn-out Madd would still be just as grippy, although perhaps springier and perhaps stiffer in the middle.

• 8 months later...