Note to New Members ×

Intuition Liner

Keyser Soze

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer despite searching older posts.

Yesterday, my Dalbello Il Moro's arrived in the mail, and I took them to a couple of ski shops to have the liners cooked. I've never done this before, because I've never had liners that COULD be cooked.

The boots come with the Silver I.D. thermo-liner. The first place I went to didn't have the appropriate oven. The second place said they did, but recommended I ride them a few times before even considering having them heated, as they said I "don't need to have them heated at all unless the pain is unbearable".

Is this normal???

post-2456-141842304646_thumb.jpg

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer despite searching older posts.

Yesterday, my Dalbello Il Moro's arrived in the mail, and I took them to a couple of ski shops to have the liners cooked. I've never done this before, because I've never had liners that COULD be cooked.

The boots come with the Silver I.D. thermo-liner. The first place I went to didn't have the appropriate oven. The second place said they did, but recommended I ride them a few times before even considering having them heated, as they said I "don't need to have them heated at all unless the pain is unbearable".

Is this normal???

not really, they probably just did not want to do the work.

The foam in Intuition liners will compress and conform to the soles of your feet without cooking, but so will other foam based products. Heating and thermomolding the liner will allow it to mold around the entire volume of your foot, which can be critical if you suffer from shin bang, heel lift, or arch related issues.

Make sure that you're wearing the liner and sock combo that you will use on the hill while getting your liners molded.

If you're going to spend the extra cash for Intuition liners, then you owe it to yourself to get them cooked properly....

Geo

The guy at the first shop dealt with Tecnica exclusively and didn't have the oven, as he has some sort of different heating device that you put in the boot. He said that what he used wouldn't get hot enough for the Intuition liner to be molded. That place specializes in ski gear and bootfitting.

The second place is a sports store that sells a bit of everything but happens to carry some Dalbello boots, which leads me to believe the guy that I spoke with didn't actually know all that much about it.

So... I should definitely get them cooked?

Yes......it is worth it as someone mentioned it forms the whole and not just footbed area......made a big difference when I got them and had a local ski boot doctor do them for me......should be no excuse from a ski shop that does these that they cannot.....

Crucible:

Re liner compression when worn without heating...

Is this reversible once cooked?

I've worn my my new scarpa TX2 tele boots half a dozen times out of the box without cooking; still looking for a neighbor with a suitable oven since ours doesn't have a fan/control temps well (at least that's the wifes excuse!).

Keyser:

Are those really hardbooting board boots?

They look interestingly ski compatible (my dream-one pair to take on the plane for ski and board).

No, dont cook them yet, you cant undo it once its done.

My liners were fine once fitted, (tightened up the rear heel), But since everyone said "yes mold them" finally I did, and THEN it sucked, I used to be able to wear my boots ALL day with no problem, then AFTER molding they start to hurt my feet, and I have to unbuckle on the lift etc etc... which sucks. In a way molding kinda sorta pre packs out your boots, so you have less padding in the "conformed" spots.

now the ones that get filled with foam like surefoot are a different story.....for $500!

should be no excuse from a ski shop that does these that they cannot.....

For this reason, I'm very much under the impression that this place shouldn't be doing any bootfitting for me.

Keyser:

Are those really hardbooting board boots?

They look interestingly ski compatible (my dream-one pair to take on the plane for ski and board).

They are actually jibber ski boots. Quite flexy actually, after riding them, I'll see if I need the stiffer tongues. I am a bit concerned about lateral flex though, with my Cateks on them, the slightest movement left or right with either foot seems to really twist the board. I'll see how it is, but I might want to snatch some F2s for next season.

eajracing: Thanks for the link!

DiveBomber: I think I'll go and ride them a couple of times first. If I really can't stand it, I'll get them cooked. Just sitting around in them with the buckles on tight is kind of painful though, I've dropped a half size on these ones to try and eliminate any heel lift.

For this reason, I'm very much under the impression that this place shouldn't be doing any bootfitting for me.

They are actually jibber ski boots. Quite flexy actually, after riding them, I'll see if I need the stiffer tongues. I am a bit concerned about lateral flex though, with my Cateks on them, the slightest movement left or right with either foot seems to really twist the board. I'll see how it is, but I might want to snatch some F2s for next season.

eajracing: Thanks for the link!

DiveBomber: I think I'll go and ride them a couple of times first. If I really can't stand it, I'll get them cooked. Just sitting around in them with the buckles on tight is kind of painful though, I've dropped a half size on these ones to try and eliminate any heel lift.

Ooh I dont know if id do that, you may really need them fitted, but not molded, for the heel issue I had a wedge put in and the heel wrap. I tried boots a half a size smaller, all it did was make it painfull! both the top of my foot and the rear of my heel were really in pain after only 2 runs. id rather just be able to make them tighter, with the buckles and fitting rather than using just the tighter size.

BTW did you try on any other kryptons?? I tried on the grey ones and the yellow jamaica ones, I dont know how those could be ridden, they seemed way too stiff.

Ooh I dont know if id do that, you may really need them fitted, but not molded, for the heel issue I had a wedge put in and the heel wrap. I tried boots a half a size smaller, all it did was make it painfull! both the top of my foot and the rear of my heel were really in pain after only 2 runs. id rather just be able to make them tighter, with the buckles and fitting rather than using just the tighter size.

BTW did you try on any other kryptons?? I tried on the grey ones and the yellow jamaica ones, I dont know how those could be ridden, they seemed way too stiff.

My 27 Raichles were definitely too big, but I was coming off a pair of 26.5 Oxygens that I had to ride with my toes curled. These ones seem snug, but a little bit of wearing them should definitely help.

I haven't tried any other Kryptons, but these ones are very soft from what I was told, and now having tried them on, I can definitely confirm that. However, that may change once I actually ride them.

My liners were fine once fitted, (tightened up the rear heel), But since everyone said "yes mold them" finally I did, and THEN it sucked, I used to be able to wear my boots ALL day with no problem, then AFTER molding they start to hurt my feet, and I have to unbuckle on the lift etc etc... which sucks. In a way molding kinda sorta pre packs out your boots, so you have less padding in the "conformed" spots.

now the ones that get filled with foam like surefoot are a different story.....for $500!

Was it Dalbello Id Thermo Silver or Gold?

I'm expecting to receive my Id Goldies:) within a week or two and will face same dilemma...

thanks

It sounds like maybe your boots are too big, and the unmolded liner was masking that.

Yeah, I have the green/black Krypton Pros and there's no way I'd enjoy riding them with Cateks. Even TD2s would be too stiff I think. But the F2Ts seem to be the sweet spot so far.

F2 Titanium? I see some F2 Freecarves available for cheap in the Classifieds, I'm just worried that they may not hold up when squashed between a ski boot and a SG with Lexan plates on it. Phiokas could be an option too methinks.