Note to New Members ×

How to get new people into carving?

newcarver

Have had several people say they are interested in trying carving, but have no way to get them on alpine gear. I have several older boards sitting around, but none of them have had the same boot size as me. Even rode with a 17 yr old and he was very impressed with it and wanted to try. Wonder if it would be worth trying to get them in some rental ski boots in walk mode? On another note, how can I get my wife to want to try it? She hates riding groomers so I always end up on my AM board and carve on the way back down to the village only, when I ride with her. I told her next time that I wanted to carve on a race board for the 1st couple of hours, then I would switch to the AM board. She could do trees or bump runs that go to the same lift. That ought to work right :confused:

Last year I wanted to try hard booting and a friend had an old board and spare bindings for me. All I needed was boots - so I rented ski boots. Not the most comfy ride in the world, but it did the trick. A hint - don't do the calf up super tight and realise that you might have light bruising on the shins.

I now own a Coiler and my own boots and am totally hooked. So encourage people to rent boots for half a day; gives them a great feel for carving.

Yeah I think that's quite common: many people I ride with seem inclined to try, both boarders and skiers, but there is a huge barrier to it.

I think that's just the way it is at the moment. It reminds of trying to buy proper (four clip) ski boots in the UK in the early 1980s: most shops had none at all, as rear entry was very much the thing. It was difficult for those living here to ignore the fashion, the sales people, the marketing, and choose something that worked. In the end it flipped completely around.

I'm not holding my breath, but I have been surprised at the number of people recently asking WTF those Oxcess and Kessler boards are...

Yeah I think that's quite common: many people I ride with seem inclined to try, both boarders and skiers, but there is a huge barrier to it.

Yep.

I have been asked numerous times this year about how to get into carving. Maybe some small percentage of them will figure out how to buy the gear, buy the gear, and work at it hard enough to actually be a carver.

Last year, one of them actually bought all the gear, but did not want to do the work to actually learn (harder than he thought) and just wanted to ride with his buds.

The reality is that it looks beautiful to many people on the hill, but the OCD aspects of it makes it less than a perfect fit for most.

OCD..

This is something I theororized a while ago. I think most hardbooters are in the top 10% at their own resorts, but it's not a result of hardboots.

I think it's more in the "natural selection" of acquiring gear. If you're obsessed enough to track down and buy gear, you're most likely the kind of person who is going to spend a lot of time daydreaming about hardbooting, reading about hardbooting, and talking about hardbooting.

We all scoff at the skier rear entries skiing like he belongs in WM's Many Moods, or the jibber pleased with skidding every turn. But such people are unrelatably nonchalant and casual in their snow sliding, and the prospect of hunting down expensive gear with a tricky learning curve couldn't be less appealing.

OCD..

This is something I theororized a while ago. I think most hardbooters are in the top 10% at their own resorts, but it's not a result of hardboots.

I think it's more in the "natural selection" of acquiring gear. If you're obsessed enough to track down and buy gear, you're most likely the kind of person who is going to spend a lot of time daydreaming about hardbooting, reading about hardbooting, and talking about hardbooting.

We all scoff at the skier rear entries skiing like he belongs in WM's Many Moods, or the jibber pleased with skidding every turn. But such people are unrelatably nonchalant and casual in their snow sliding, and the prospect of hunting down expensive gear with a tricky learning curve couldn't be less appealing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right on in what you said above.

Also Your writing is very mature , you are very articulate for 16.

Ok so the truth is, let me guess > your an eagle scout, member of Mensa, child prodigy or just a clean living kid with good parents ?

Inquiring minds want to know ?

Truth be known any kid who rides alpine is already mature and a cut above, ;)

OCD..

+1 on this as well.

I believe this is why there isn't a bunch of hardboot gear layin' around. Most people enjoy watching a good carver, but dont have the time, inclination or motivation to seek out "the goods". Once they find out the gear is hard to find, or find that the gear is hard to ride, they move on.

+1 on this as well.

I believe this is why there isn't a bunch of hardboot gear layin' around. Most people enjoy watching a good carver, but dont have the time, inclination or motivation to seek out "the goods". Once they find out the gear is hard to find, or find that the gear is hard to ride, they move on.

I had the pleasure of meeting and riding with King Crimson/Theo a couple weekends ago. You would never guess he was not an adult. Great fast carver. I had fun playing chase with him in my softies. I too have the crappy old hardboots because I cant afford $550 for a decent pair and mondo 25 does not grow on trees in the used marketplace. I guess I will slum it in softies until I can afford a decent pair of boots. BTW Flow boots and bindings rule:biggthump

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are right on in what you said above.

Also Your writing is very mature , you are very articulate for 16.

Ok so the truth is, let me guess > your an eagle scout, member of Mensa, child prodigy or just a clean living kid with good parents ?

Inquiring minds want to know ?

Truth be known any kid who rides alpine is already mature and a cut above, ;)

Thanks for the kind sentiments!

Quit cub scouts in 2nd grade, never bothered with Mensa, interested in WAY too many things to be a prodigy.

I just have a LOT of time on my hands.. :D

Lance, thanks as well. It was great to get thoroughly outcarved by a duck stanced knuckledragger!

I've bought some inexpensive standard bindings from the classifieds for just this reason. I use step-ins so none of my friends could try my boards even with ski boots.

One friend has never snowboarded but liked the various pictures and videos I've shown him. Hopefully next year I can get him on a board!

Show people HOW to carve with the gear they already have strapped on their feet.

We all get compliments and OHHs and AHHs when we are riding plates and hardboots, but showing someone how to change their own riding to emulate the motions and the sensation of carvers plants the seed in their mind to evolve to the gear we use.

Educate and teach others how (even in softboots), and the fans will seek us in droves.

* BOL cards help too ;)

Yup, carving is the new cool...to the masses. I love being different, but always try to answer questions and take people for a ride to teach them about our sport.

That, and I carry a spare set of 27 mondos and a 64 Factory Prime in my rig, just in case...got my bro from Hawaii hooked, it is alive and well.

I am glad that more people know I'm gonna hook it all the way across the run a few times :)

Show people HOW to carve with the gear they already have strapped on their feet.

We all get compliments and OHHs and AHHs when we are riding plates and hardboots, but showing someone how to change their own riding to emulate the motions and the sensation of carvers plants the seed in their mind to evolve to the gear we use.

Educate and teach others how (even in softboots), and the fans will seek us in droves.

* BOL cards help too ;)

If they are genuinely interested,and aren't already expert level with a duck stance I will usually suggest that they try angling the back foot forward bit and then both feet a little more forward after that.