Note to New Members ×

Shaun White Gold, Video/Graphic Analysis How He Won

boarderboy

He went higher because he didn't scrub speed going into the pipe. It seemed like all the others inched down on the start ramp and scrubbed speed.

It was impressive. Not a fan of the pipe but he he spins and flips so many times I can't even follow what he is doing.

I thought the other US riders with their pants down at their knees showed a real lack of respect for representing the country.

He went higher because he didn't scrub speed going into the pipe. It seemed like all the others inched down on the start ramp and scrubbed speed.

It was impressive. Not a fan of the pipe but he he spins and flips so many times I can't even follow what he is doing.

I thought the other US riders with their pants down at their knees showed a real lack of respect for representing the country.

They're trying to be "core" and nonconformist-just like 99% of other riders....

yeah, does it make a difference since the americans already looked like idiots? I say that because of the retarded uniforms they wore. ****ing denim/flannel.

playing into a bad stereotype, next olympics we'll send them out in head to toe FUBU and doo rags on top.

yeah, does it make a difference since the americans already looked like idiots? I say that because of the retarded uniforms they wore. ****ing denim/flannel.

playing into a bad stereotype, next olympics we'll send them out in head to toe FUBU and doo rags on top.

Well, I don't know the details but I doubt the athletes had a choice in the uniform.

This is the LAST site that should even dare to talk about snowboard fashion. Being simple and non-flashy is one thing. Dressing like a skier is another.

Many, many skiers brave the cold in jeans.

Faded jeans.

Straight leg and boot cut.

And flannel shirts too.

(Incidentally, whenever I read your screen name, I think of pasta...)

I dunno. Somehow he boosted higher than anyone else.

BB

True. Also, for his entry he didn't just ride up the top deck of the wall and drop in, he actually rode up the face of the wall and did a small air before his real first air on the opposite wall, which was subsequently about 30 feet up, or so it seemed.

Spectacular, but I guess you can do these things when you have your own private halfpipe and foam pit.

Somebody is going to die trying to beat Shawn White. 3 inches the wrong way and that jaw hit he took on the lip of the pipe from 20 feet up would probably have been fatal.

Indy car hits wall, loses tire, spins, driver shaken but ok.

that jaw hit he took on the lip of the pipe

I looked at that for a bit, and drew the following conclusions.

1.Brim of helmet contacts edge.

2.Helmet pulls head back, providing clearance.

3. Departure of helmet dissipates just enough shock, and provides enough time delay, that face slaps vert, not edge. This is a bit like shock protection strips used for climbing anchors. In this case, the strap following the anterior contour of his melon slows the removal of the helmet just enough to reposition his head, but not enough to snap his neck.

4. Boo-boo is abrasion, rather than contusion.

5. Good thing he rides loose.

6. Good thing he wore his helmet loose.

The loose helmet is a bit like the notion that not wearing a seatbelt will allow one to be tossed clear of the car in the event of an impact. Sometimes yes, most times, no.

Which is not to say that the loose helmet thing is/was intentional. Just fortunate. In this case.

Instead of a medalist, he could have been a turnip.

Many, many skiers brave the cold in jeans.

Faded jeans.

Straight leg and boot cut.

And flannel shirts too.

(Incidentally, whenever I read your screen name, I think of pasta...)

right, if anything the uniform made me think of a joey bagadonuts skiing in carharts.

Well, I don't know the details but I doubt the athletes had a choice in the uniform.

Uniforms were designed by Burton for the team.

Frankly, I think it probably didn't help them in scoring ... halfpipe is subjective and the cleaner you look, the cleaner your lines look ... granted Torah Bright was gonna take it based on her second run anyway, but her outfit made her look better doing her tricks than Hanah Teter ...