Note to New Members ×

Soft Boot Carver

dafinga

Hi Folks,

I am a 42 yr old snowboarder with 25+ yrs of experience on soft boots. I want to stick to the soft boots and was looking for a board to dig some trenches. I can carve the hell out of my 170 Burton Omen but it does have its limits. I want to stick to soft boots for the time being. What should I be looking at? I am 6 feet tall and weigh in at 175lbs. I normally ride a 170 in pow and a 161 for my freestyle deck.

Hi Folks,

I am a 42 yr old snowboarder with 25+ yrs of experience on soft boots. I want to stick to the soft boots and was looking for a board to dig some trenches. I can carve the hell out of my 170 Burton Omen but it does have its limits. I want to stick to soft boots for the time being. What should I be looking at? I am 6 feet tall and weigh in at 175lbs. I normally ride a 170 in pow and a 161 for my freestyle deck.

I'm sure there will be more experienced people on here to tell you what to do, but in my 24 years experience on soft boots (I'm going to be 40 in April), and last year I tried hard boots (ancient gear, sold the plates and board already, getting ready to sell the boots too), I just bought a Madd 168 BX and taken it out twice (however I must be cursed because we've got knee deep pow-pow and I've been akin' to lay down some ruts in some groomers)... BUT, I must admit that the Madd suites my stance. Other companies makes soft boot carving boards like Donek (Incline, Razor, or Sabre), Kessler (if you got da mad cash), and Prior makes the ATV that is wide enough to support soft boots. It's out there. I think there might even be a Donek Razor in the classifieds still for sale that would suite you.:biggthump

I have been riding Burton Fusions for the past 6 years and have loved them but am recently looking to upgrade to a stiffer board. I would check out the Donek Razor. At $680 it is a very affordable board and from what I have seen it can carve like a mofo! Like someone already said, if you got the cash then check out a Kessel...I mean, 80% of those riding them at the world cup level can't be wrong.

2 Bx boards I did not like was the Vokel Cross and the F2 Eliminator, but everyone's style is different and you may like them. Either way they will likely carve better than what you are riding now. The Omen was designed to be an agressive big mountian board and not a soft boot carver. That nitch was given to the Fusion.

I have been riding Burton Fusions for the past 6 years and have loved them but am recently looking to upgrade to a stiffer board. I would check out the Donek Razor. At $680 it is a very affordable board and from what I have seen it can carve like a mofo! Like someone already said, if you got the cash then check out a Kessel...I mean, 80% of those riding them at the world cup level can't be wrong.

2 Bx boards I did not like was the Vokel Cross and the F2 Eliminator, but everyone's style is different and you may like them. Either way they will likely carve better than what you are riding now. The Omen was designed to be an agressive big mountian board and not a soft boot carver. That nitch was given to the Fusion.

sounds like you want the sabre, not the razor. the fusion was a BX board, the first ones actually were team boards and had yellow factory prime topsheets. only reason I know this is I talked to a rider on one the season before burton made a production run.

dafinga,

I have a Ride Timeless 168 cm. It is definately one of the best freeride boards I have ever ridden but I don't have much expeience with any bx boards. A matter of fact I recently ( about 5 years ago) dropped all my hard gear and now only ride freeride decks with soft boots. It sure looks like Kessler makes a good board. Many of the bx guys are using them in the olympics. My buddy from Vermont was on a Burton Custom 181 and another buddy on a Libtech Skunkape with magna traction. He swears by this board and believes hard deck companies should move towards this technology.

Good Luck

Thanks Bobdea, I was thinking about the Sabre but wasn't sure if it was too race oriented. I am looking for a new board I can race Bx with and still be able to go out and have fun on. I have been looking at the Kessel and Donek but unfortunately think the Kessel is out of my price range unless I can work some mad OT this summer.