Note to New Members ×

Broken tibia

crote123

You would be the expert wouldn't you Buell!! :smashfrea

The red circle area? Damn, hate to see this happen.

Welcome to the "Broken Leg Club". :barf:

It looks like the knee is either bent to 90 degrees for the xray (but where is the patella) or we are looking at the back of the knee. I think you circled the bottom of the femur. Those knobs are the femoral condyles. I broke the left one (lateral condyle) off 4 years ago tomorrow from a hard compression.

Yes, unfortunately I know something about breaking the knee joint.

I think the break is on the upper right corner of the lower bone.

Every thing I am saying could be wrong though. :cool:

It looks like the knee is either bent to 90 degrees for the xray (but where is the patella) or we are looking at the back of the knee. I think you circled the bottom of the femur. Those knobs are the femoral condyles. I broke the left one (lateral condyle) off 4 years ago tomorrow from a hard compression.

Yes, unfortunately I know something about breaking the knee joint.

I think the break is on the upper right corner of the lower bone.

Every thing I am saying could be wrong though. :cool:

The fracture is obvious-the area circled in red is actually the femur. The technique is a CT scan and you are looking at an coronal slice through the bone....

the fracture is on the tibial plateau (if that's what it is called in english, in french the diagnostic is "fracture communituve du plateau tibial externe") and it's right behind the fibula (had to search for the english word as it's called perone in french).

So far, no screws. Orthopedist decided to wait a week to determine if it heals properly, he'll leave it alone and I'm sure he's hoping for that as I didn't like his comment "humm, I can't see how I can put screws in there". The reason, because the fracture is hiding behind the fibula, it seems much tougher to find a proper location to put screws in. I'll try to find an image where it shows the fracture in respect to the fibula.

How this all happened? Not sure, All I remember was that I was finishing a toeside carve and and that point it's not clear, either I lost the tail or I caught an edge in the transition. I know that the nose dug in the snow (very hardpack) and then the tail caught too and then got flipped around.

anyways, yes, season is over, not even sure about ligament damage yet...

fun, fun, fun... well, maybe not

Doc looked at the X-ray and mentionned that the bone is healing at the proper height such that for now he doesn't need to put a screw(s) in to push the broken pieces back up to level them off with the rest of the bone.

Another X-ray next week and if all is well then it'll be another one in 4 weeks and probably cast off too... and then physiotherapy. No more carving this season :mad:

wow dude, sorry to hear about your injury, or should I say, welcome to the club. I did my tibial plateau plus an acl tear march 29, 2009. luckily didn't need screws for the tibia, the weight bearing part healed level. seeing your pics i feel kinda lucky that i did my acl too-no cast, just crazy robo-knee for 12 weeks, so atleast i could take it off to shower. the balancing on one leg was a different story :)

all i can say is speedy recovery to you, and netflix is awesome :biggthump

I just had a acromio-clavicular joint separation. I had just finished a run and as I was on the flats coming into the lift area, some little kids came from behind me to cut right in front of me. I tried to twist my hips hard to avoid the kids and as I did, the nose got buried under about 20 inches of powder cause me to fall on my shoulder. I thought nothing of it at the time, no pain,and made a few more runs, drove 1.5 hours home, ate dinner, sat down and then WOW! Blinding white pain when I raised it to take off my shirt! That was on the 11th. I still cant raise my arm above my shoulder without that blinding pain. I feel your pain man, I feel your pain.