Note to New Members ×

Comment if you have lower back issues

Bobby Buggs

It's an old farts organ recital ... he he. Good points in this thread. Core muscles are key and flexiblity helps, but only goes so far. I'm more flexible than most 8 year olds, but I still get back pain. I'm doing better this year because my mantra is SWEET SPOT. When I'm riding centered, I have less joint issues. It's even helped my knees. But all it takes is one good crash or landing a jump flat.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Core exercises twice a week. check
  2. Yoga. check
  3. Kayaking. check
  4. Hot tub after carving. check
  5. Good quality bed. check-we have Sleep Number

Buying your first used carving snowboard on BOL classifieds-$300

Never having back pain yet at age 46-priceless

Add to that

6 not letting your waist line increase :D

BobD

Hey Bobby - hope we get to ride again soon!

I was thinking about your situation and given your technique, especially that really pure heelside move you have, I bet you could set that Voelkl up the way a lot of euros used to - around 52 front and steeper - close to 60 - in back. Feels a little weird at first, and it's truly lousy for skidding, but I think it would fit on the board, since it's a bit wider up forward, and oddly enough it seems to take some load off the lower back and feet (might feel weird on your knees, however). Give it a try on the carpet at home before chancing it on the hill of course. Best, Jonny

Maybe that's why I have less knee pain. I caught the flu around New Year's and lost about 10 pounds. Less mass = less strain with each turn. I get cold easier when I weigh less, too.

That happened to me last year.

I caught a nasty stomach virus and lost 15lbs in a matter of a few days. :barf:

Unfortunately it didn't help my back pain but did make my knees feel better... robbed all the power out of my riding for quite some time. Weird thing is I never gained much of the weight back and that was a little over a year ago.

Are you gonna ride with us this year Snow Goddess or are you busy at the races?

check out kinesio tape and spider tech. great stuff for staving off the old man noises and for protecting weaknesses and old injuries etc. helps a lot with pain. I am currently researching applications specific to our rather lopsided sport. the assymetry in our stances etc should be able to be offset by the tape. I will let you all know what shakes out as the results come in

First of all, queequeg, you do NOT want to get what I had. It lasted for three weeks and compromised my lungs so bad that walking up a flight of stairs hurt. I had to go out on a 9-inch pow day at the Jane, but I was hugging trees during rests, heaving.

As for long term effects on carvers, heck, I'm already feeling them. Bad concussions have lasting side effects, and the neck does not recover well from whiplash (What will Shaun White's neck be like when he's my age? That fall in the pipe he took at X Games would have knocked me out cold! At least he'll have the money to deal with it). I am thinking about wearing a mouthguard for BX and freestyle. I want to eat food for a long time.

And I've found that a good quality inversion table can undo all kinds of lower back damage after a hard day on the slopes.

Oh, and Thor. I go to WP or MJ (on pow days) regularly, Tues and Thurs mornings. I do alot of laps on Prospector and Eskimo .. in the ehem ... parks. But I love doing Cranmer and the one next to Dark Territory. No speed enforcers there.

I'm taking my 163 up tomorrow to practice for GS and maybe do some Nastar. The Nastar National Championships are at Winter Park this year.

Oh, and Thor. I go to WP or MJ (on pow days) regularly, Tues and Thurs mornings. I do alot of laps on Prospector and Eskimo .. in the ehem ... parks. But I love doing Cranmer and the one next to Dark Territory. No speed enforcers there.

I'm taking my 163 up tomorrow to practice for GS and maybe do some Nastar. The Nastar National Championships are at Winter Park this year.

Total thread jack... but

next to Dark Territory... we call it The Tube (nice)

I've heard of several HBers coming in for the nat champ

I'm guessing WP will be littered with race courses then

Check the Colorado ride board CK... join us for some turns!

Back on topic now...

What's an inversion table?

A hang upside down thing?

Ya, we're total thread jackers.

An inversion table straps in your ankles and rotates to hang you almost or completely upside down. It stretches the lower back and helps with the asymetrical stress of snowboarding. Usually my lower spine just cracks back into place.

I also use my blow up ball while watching tv (lying on back with feet on ball, roll it forward and side to side).

I have lower back problems. Enough to take me totally out of action for a week or two if I "get it wrong". This can involve bad turning technique, or simply overdoing a "jump-turn" to start a run. Moving to alpine, and the corresponding change in technique, improved the situation no end, but I still have to be careful.

I probably shouldn't board or ski, but hell, a life with no risk is a life wasted.

I have never been flexible, even as a child. Could not touch my toes or cross my legs. Still can't, and the feet seem to get further away each year. BUT with core strengthening exercises I have no issues snowboarding. Oh - I am flexible enough even at this old age to clip in, no stepins for me.

How are we going to make that Happen??

Going to be a little tough, until the end of March. Meanwhile, I'll give you a call when I can sneak out for a little quiet poach during rehearsals midweek and mondays - weekends are out until we close. I might make the Monday of ECES but my show opens two days later so it's a little chancy...