Note to New Members ×

Need recommendations: thin socks.

Helvetico

All the stuff on REI looks the same to me: Thorlo, Smartwool, Euro-this-and-that. Which brand stands out? Is the only difference between light and ultra-light the lack of extra padding on the shin and heel?

I like polypro liner socks the best here's some in polyester not as good but the price is right http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1512M_Fox-River-Polyester-Liner-Socks-For-Men-and-Women.html

I don't like much padding, as it is I have so much volume I have to stretch my shells and compress spots on my liners to get a good fit so adding volume by means of a sock means more time tweaking my boots.

if your boot is fitted properly a very thin shock should work well. if you NEED a padded I'd probably see a new boot fitter.

not saying you have to wear a liner sock but some of the ski socks I see in shops if you can wear them in your boots it means your boot is too big.

+1, I gleamed these from Ray two years ago, I love the thundercloud gloves I gleamed from you three years ago:cool:

Small thread jack, were you wearing body Armour when you recently got hit?

glad those gloves worked for you. I got those from my buddy Ken Tower. On here as k_t I think. I am pretty hard on gear so I like to have the good stuff.

These socks rock like you can't believe.

When and where I got hit is ridiculous - I can't even believe it myself.

I was teaching beginner heelside straight run to heelside stop on the magic carpet area (people mover thing). I had my back foot out at the time and had just slid to stop on heels when BAM. No warning. No shout. Nothing. Just down.:mad:

A beginner skier had apparently started at the top, straitlined it into me and when he saw he couldn't stop laid down and took me out at the ankles. I landed on him and his gear. Took a binding to the thigh and maybe something to my left hip - the other end of the binding??

What really sucks now is my back. Might have a herniated disc. Shooting pain down my entire left leg to the ankle at times. Of course it started snowing the day after I got hit. :AR15firin

And no I was not wearing any kind of armor. I don't wear a helmet when I teach on this hill either as the speeds are so slow and I hardly ever have both feet in and I need the visibility to keep track of my students.

I like polypro liner socks the best here's some in polyester not as good but the price is right http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1512M_Fox-River-Polyester-Liner-Socks-For-Men-and-Women.html

+1

damn, $50 bucks for socks? granted, I have no experience with a sock of this caliber but it better massage my feet and make me coffee in the morning for that price.

I have like 6 pairs of polypro liner socks. For me they have never worn out and they hold their shape just fine.

My liner keeps me warm, not the sock.

+1

damn, $50 bucks for socks? granted, I have no experience with a sock of this caliber but it better massage my feet and make me coffee in the morning for that price.

I have like 6 pairs of polypro liner socks. For me they have never worn out and they hold their shape just fine.

I'd worked with some boot fitters that felt that any need for sock to do anything other than protect your foot from abrasion and to help your foot slide getting in and out of the boot indicates that they did not fit your boots well. I buy that argument, makes sense.

I'd worked with some boot fitters that felt that any need for sock to do anything other than protect your foot from abrasion and to help your foot slide getting in and out of the boot indicates that they did not fit your boots well. I buy that argument, makes sense.

Makes sense. I'd go barefoot if my boots didn't end up smelling like 2 dead wet cats in a suitcase.

+1

Its not about warmth at all for me. They just feel better. And yes my feet do feel better. I wore my other socks and got cramps in my feet that day. And they are thin too.

Maybe I just drank the koolaid but they feel great.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-x-socks-ski-carving-ultralight-1-pk-black-orange-p_id156344

I got these locally for around $40 to $45.

So glad I did. I won't go back to "regular" ski socks. Ever.

+2 for x-socks light weight carving socks. Very good - worth the money, but not necessary. Ice Breaker make very nice socks too.