Note to New Members ×

An open mind is a shame to waste.

Dave ESPI

When I was turned onto this site nearly 5 years ago, I read everything there was to possibly read.

I think this article was the single most influential and inspirational one that I really thought was the "spirit" of this forum and concept of an "alpine rider".

It is what drives me at the core level.

If some of us have not read it, please do and remind yourself what defines us.

http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/who_is_part1.cfm

Some times we all get wrapped up in situations, and comments and stuff, so I want to say I'm personaly sorry if I mislead anyone with crappy advice, or comments from my personal experiences. Anyone posting in a forum (myself included) opens themself up to criticizm, and scorn equaly as well as praise and applause. Hopefully I can rectify the negetivity and restore faith in short order as I realise there is some dissention and credibility damages having been done. So I will pipe down and not offer any "advice" for technique for carvers until I am envited to do such again.

Everyone here is passionate about snowboarding, so lets all just go out and enjoy it for all that it entails. :)

Thats all.

Cheers,

D.

See ya @ SES and ECES and on various other hills :)

but why is this is te OT forum? Dave I think this is a perfect On-Topic thread.

Good form.:biggthump

dan, I'm not sure if you saw it go down but in two threads Dave was spewing pure garbage and instead of it being just me riding him about it four others came out including people who have seen him ride and a second year riding 16 year old who even knew he was wrong. the big issue is the combination of his ego and bad advice one or the other and it's annoying but combined it's unreal.

it was not just those two threads it was very very often, it was just last night it came to a head and others came out of the woodwork saying what I do all the time. the biggest thing that got to me is he actively solicits on this site to give paid lessons to people for aggressive race technique.

that's the reason I'd spent so much time chasing him around and ripping apart every post admittedly even when he did not say all that much wrong in some cases but if I did push him for answers he'd keep digging a deeper hole.

yes, I looked like a complete ass hole but my point was/is that he claims all this cred and it's not there but yet he's willing to take people's money. I HATE seeing people that need help being given bad advice. it's really hard to even find other alpine riders in some places in north america that's part of why this forum is here. Now, we all pull a boner once and awhile but with him it's so often it's outside of normal.

He uses arguments in that there is no right or wrong but when I say he's misinformed about something he tries to say I'm wrong and he knows because he's a level 1 instructor or that I or anyone else does not know because he's a better rider.

the thing is, there IS a right and wrong when talking technique.

now he posts this, great, now, stay quiet and listen and learn. why not do this three years ago when I and a few others nicely told you. It took three or four years to get your ego in check.

when I was 19 I had a ego too, I get it. I was lucky enough to be a ski bum for 10 years at places that there were honest to goodness pros around some of which I had the pleasure to ride with fairly often. that is probably what kept me from becoming you or maybe it was sanity. Dave, if you're not tied down please please go work on hill somewhere like mammoth, or steamboat as a patroller, liftie or events staff. you will meet and learn from people that you'd never meet teaching. just because you're helping atheletes, coaches and even sometimes media big shots do their jobs you get to ride and learn from them, it's humbling quite often.

Being humbled is soooo good for most people, keeps them in reality. I thought I was hot **** on a race deck until I rode with some racers at a US open then later I thought I was getting good at riding plates and then spent some time working a FIS event when I was 19. after being humbled every couple of years I got it. I'll never be a great rider, when I was in shape I was a pretty decent one but never great, now that life, injury and too much eating got in the way I'm not where I used to be and I know it. it's okay.

go get humbled, it's good for you.

part of being humble would be revising or deleting your instructor search profile. it's just not right and seeing that awhile back was part of my motivation for being so relentless on you. you KNOW that instructors don't make anything substantial especially ones who can teach alpine are so rare that you having that ad is basically stealing business from guys that have real race and coaching experience and you'd be effectively ripping off any riders you took money from.

the fact that you even mention race in that ad is beyond belief because you posted on this very forum that you've only been on hard boots for four years part time and then you posted that the only true race board you've owned (rossi 190) you could not master. also, when I asked you about results last year you said they were a secret. but yet you advertise as being able to coach racing.

You don't need a whole lot of time racing to coach it at a low level if you've worked for good coaches and you are articulate and have a good eye, this is somewhat common in skiing but not so much in snowboarding just because of the sheer of numbers. you see it in other sports too, guys that were never great athlete that are good coaches. you're not there yet though but you think you are.

your above post is the start. keep it up and learn and you will eventually gain respect, even from me.

In your post I still detect some feeling that you feel like you're misunderstood or something or that we think less of you than is the whole picture but just come to grips with that you have a way to go and the sport changes faster than most of us can keep up anyway. I guess it's the title of the thread "a open mind is a terrible thing to waste" that's the problem though, you don't have a open mind and not listening to sense is your biggest problem.

I'm done if you are, get some hill time and learn learn learn. I could use it too but my hill time is spent mostly skiing with my partner and her 9 year old these days.

WOW,

Bobdea, you sound very pasionate in most of the posts I read from you. I don't keep a log on you but I bet I can tell you a few things about you just from reading your posts. I'm sure this is true for any of us. Our personalities come through in our posts but the fact of the matter is I don't know you just as you don't know me. If Dave feels the need to solicit students from this site, let him. Don't play the general public for fools, they know who is pretending to be a coach and who is not. If people who have read his posts feel that he is worhty to be a teacher than let him.

As I'm sure you know from your reply above, humbling experiences eventually come to all of us. I get mine alot and most recently from a 17 year old high school student. Yeah some people here on Bomber think they can carve through it all and that the lines they carve in snow are superb. Ofcourse this is true compared to the general public but when matched with other carvers or possibly even racers they find themselves to be just average or below. I don't know who has ridden with who or if some people here have ever even seen any other carvers. Those people probably think they are the best thing since sliced bread when compared to the non-carving public. My point Bob is who cares what Dave knows, does, or thinks about himself or others. If others want to listen to him they will, if not they won't. I would think of all people that peruse this site you (having a few thousand posts) would know who is full of s*&% and who is not. Don't let it bother you. For most of these posts I could care less what people know. I look at it as information I have to read carefully in order to get the truth out. I would hope others do the same.

yeah, the above post was laying it all out with as little FU tone as possible. I was sitting here with a glass of whiskey in hand and a cranky baby in the chest pack. that's what happen before I get sloppy and have to put baby down, you see those posts.

got a teething baby, crazy schedule, leads to cranking out long winded statements like that. if I'm typing she passes right out though, must like the sound so I do it a lot.

I probably look something like this while typing the_hangover_movie_poster_zack_galifianakis.jpg

Bobdea- Dude sounds like you need to get out on the hill more often. Or if that is not possible find an outlet to keep your sanity. When I went through a messy divorce a few years ago I took up running.

Find what works for you.

yeah, this is my outlet..... I'm not nearly as much of a dick in real life.

Get one of those vibrating baby chairs...I swore by them when my kids were babies...I'd even let them sit in it occasionally:biggthump

I have a hard time with people coming onto a site and actively soliciting business as well.....You have to pay sponsorship fees on epicski. With the false appearances of conviviality on a message board, people may not remember "caveat emptor" when they pick an instructor they feel they already know..and there's no upfront costs for the advertising, either...almost like an appearance of endorsement for the services offered...I'm just sayin'

yeah, the above post was laying it all out with as little FU tone as possible. I was sitting here with a glass of whiskey in hand and a cranky baby in the chest pack. that's what happen before I get sloppy and have to put baby down, you see those posts.

got a teething baby, crazy schedule, leads to cranking out long winded statements like that. if I'm typing she passes right out though, must like the sound so I do it a lot.

I probably look something like this while typing the_hangover_movie_poster_zack_galifianakis.jpg

You need a t-shirt that reads.... "Father of the Year! ....semi-finalist"

the biggest thing that got to me is he actively solicits on this site to give paid lessons to people for aggressive race technique.

"actively" ? dude, I'm just listed in the instructors section, and in all due respect, the racing is not just in hardboots. I don't see AASI or any sort of accreditations other than a TOP POST WHORE OF BOL status as your sole claim to fame, but I digress.

Perhaps you too should follow Jacks words and realise this is not just a place to "hang out and make post as there apparently is a "mission" and there is only one way to accomplish it? People can make their own decisions as to what is and isnt valuable. My experiences are vastly different than your or some others, and perhaps my style is indeed different, and my "suggestions" are not the status-quo, but taking it to this witch-hunt status is childish beyond that of the one you are presently "watching" while carving from a desktop in a lazy-boy recliner.

Atleast I dont "EDIT" and ghost my post or delete them. I post, I remain, I am.

Peace out, I'm on the hill, doin what I do, helping people be better boarders, putting smiles on faces and and making turns.

I guess I'm the luckiest unpopular person ever. :lurk:

Call me the Howard Stern of Bobs World :lol:..... cause he sure tunes in to hear what I say next! LOL.

the biggest thing that got to me is he actively solicits on this site to give paid lessons to people for aggressive race technique.

"actively" ? dude, I'm just listed in the instructors section, and in all due respect, the racing is not just in hardboots. I don't see AASI or any sort of accreditations other than a TOP POST WHORE OF BOL status as your sole claim to fame, but I digress.

Perhaps you too should follow Jacks words and realise this is not just a place to "hang out and make post as there apparently is a "mission" and there is only one way to accomplish it? People can make their own decisions as to what is and isnt valuable. My experiences are vastly different than your or some others, and perhaps my style is indeed different, and my "suggestions" are not the status-quo, but taking it to this witch-hunt status is childish beyond that of the one you are presently "watching" while carving from a desktop in a lazy-boy recliner.

Atleast I dont "EDIT" and ghost my post or delete them. I post, I remain, I am.

Peace out, I'm on the hill, doin what I do, helping people be better boarders, putting smiles on faces and and making turns.

I guess I'm the luckiest unpopular person ever. :lurk:

Call me the Howard Stern of Bobs World :lol:..... cause he sure tunes in to hear what I say next! LOL.

who ever said I post ghost? and now you're backpedaling and saying you did not post a ad as hard boot instructor on this site? it's specifically for hard boot instructors "advanced agressive carve "race" style" is what you have up there in the hard boot instructor search. I don't know what else you could imply with that?

the only reason I edit are so my posts make sense, often on the second reading I see grammatical errors and the like. I delete next to no posts. since starting posting on this forum when it was on the old software in 1999 or maybe 2000 at the very latest maybe early 2001 I've deleted about 20 to 25 posts.

in recent years it's been because I posted in the wrong forum only to re-post it in the correct one, save jack some time and makes me feel less stupid. I like feeling less stupid.

as far as you calling me a post whore goes, well, yup, does it make you feel better? Why would I pimp a AASI level 1 cert in the first place it would make absolutely no sense on this forum, just not relevant anything said here though I have done the job and took the level 1 training, it's not rocket science. I have yet to see any posts concerning how to get off a lift or how to stand up for the first time other than in a wise ass way. that's about what level 1 covers. you're very proud of it for some reason, I will be more impressed if you get a level 2 or 3. **** if you pass a level 2 on plates I'll buy you a case of beer.

I'll stand by that.

anyway, good luck with whatever you do. like I said, I'm done if you are.

Its all good Bob, I hold no grudges,and just a heads up, I'm taking my level 2 prereq stuff @ killington at the end of this season in hardboots and I'm 100% confident in both my ability and teaching skills to pass it. Perhaps my methods don't always mesh, and for such I'm being a bit over crucified, so I will again just simply say there is many ways to ride a snowboard and various techniques and disciplines as well as ways to teach it.

Oh, and I like Rolling Rock.... fresh from Latrobe PA. :biggthump

Its all good Bob, I hold no grudges,and just a heads up, I'm taking my level 2 prereq stuff @ killington at the end of this season in hardboots and I'm 100% confident in both my ability and teaching skills to pass it. Perhaps my methods don't always mesh, and for such I'm being a bit over crucified, so I will again just simply say there is many ways to ride a snowboard and various techniques and disciplines as well as ways to teach it.

Oh, and I like Rolling Rock.... fresh from Latrobe PA. :biggthump

on the beer, it's a deal.

don't think you're being over crucified, you open yourself up to it with a lot of your posts. aside from what I pick apart a lot of it is your bad ass tone. Jack pointed out the sig and some of the posts to you, he's not the only one that notices. that's a big part of it.

seriously though, level 2 should be fairly challenging on plates. lots of switch which is a pain.