Note to New Members ×

carving board in trees....?

canuckcarver

How many of you naysayers can actually plane a sl board in the pow?

How many of you have tried?

100% I'd say; most people here aren't going to post about things they have no direct experience of.

I did half a day's heli vert on a SL board a few years ago as a bet. I will not do it again. I certainly can do it, but it's stupid.

Personally I ride my boards centered, but powder boards have set back stances anyway, so that boils down to what is said here. You weight both legs same as you do on the piste. Some people do use softies in the trees, but I've never been passed by a softie rider in the trees, so I'll stick with my "race" stance until that happens.

I rock a ride timeless 164 with snopro's in the trees. Its a sweet board for all around. I used to ride my old factory prime on everything. but the freestyle, all mountain, or of course phish boards are the poop in powder.

It's just alot to deal with when you are swingin around a 170 sized board in trees. toolin around in powder is alot of fun, and totally different than carving. I think when u do both in the same day, it is pretty fulfilling:)

I rock a ride timeless 164 with snopro's in the trees. Its a sweet board for all around. I used to ride my old factory prime on everything. but the freestyle, all mountain, or of course phish boards are the poop in powder.

It's just alot to deal with when you are swingin around a 170 sized board in trees. toolin around in powder is alot of fun, and totally different than carving. I think when u do both in the same day, it is pretty fulfilling:)

It's all relative. I don't think I have been on shorter than a 173 in six or seven years. And I have done some very, very tight trees on those boards. After you ride a 185 to 197 everyday and almost everywhere, a 173 feels small.

Since Big White is my home mountain i know exactly what type of terrain and conditions canuckcarver was riding in. Do to poor visibility conditions and 17 busload of asians ( this weekend)from Vancouver you are forced into trees just to stay alive.

I love the tight trees but also want something to carve on that is compatible with my splitboard.The gear that i use lets me do it all , most of its homemade to suit my style and preferences for backcountry or just experimental but all of it carves and has done steep tight trees on 50 degree incline with style.

Backcountry board 161arbor element with dynafit boot lowershells and raichlecuffs with homemade bts.

Resort board 158 radair LSD with a subplate similar to a vist plate and mount the same bindings on sliders and plate that are pictured here.

My backcountry board as well as my resort board is set up stance wise for carving open bowls and groomers with about a 48 front 40 rear keeping it similar on both setups. That said you have to learn trees in the backcountry and use as short a board as possible that still keeps me afloat.

Was out in the heavier cascade pow today. Had my choice between an O'Sin 168, Fish 160?, and my Burton 156 coil. Today the coil won, and was the perfect tool for the job. 12" of higher density powder. Lower elevations were heavier yet and getting to be those ugly bumps that start to compress and then just stop. Wider boards would have sucked.

Up to a foot I use a Coil. Over a foot, I use the O'sin. Not sure where the Fish fits in, but I'll try it when it gets a little deeper.

I like the old Coils because they are stiff enough to lay out an OK carve on Hero snow and turn on a dime in the trees. The O'sin doesn't want to perform when the trees get tracked out, and I've only used the Fish for about 1/2 a day total, so I can't really give you a heads up except that the thing doesn't like heavy tracked up snow.

Tried the shorter Fish 155 (I think), and it wouldn't hold me up all that well when the slope lessens. I weigh 150.

My son uses a Burton Asym M and loves it in the deep. Floats and carves.

Dream board someday will be a medium stiff, powder nose, 20 waist with 2cm of taper, reverse camber "Parver". No need for Titanal.

+1 on the asym.

The first HB board I learned to tree ride was an 1988 Kemper Apex 170.

The radical tail cut might function as a ST? Never moved the bindings, never got back leg burn. As a bonus it was much easier to get going after a fall- you could kinda roll or swing forward and the tail would just slip into place.

It was a softer ride. For me a little softness is important, my stiffies are no fun in the pow, regardless of length or width.

Fish

those who have not tried a super taper in trees have no idea...it's life changing, really. The sick stick from Salomon or the current taper offerings from Rome and Stepchild are fine too. I really want to try a Nitro slash or the new Prior Khyber. I have sold both my Salomon Fastback 74s and my old supermodel 81(?). I do still ride my Canyon(wide custom like) 73, but mostly to go fast on groomers and do soft boot eurocarves.

Of the 3 sizes of fish offered the size goes by weight, I have a 60 and its great but the 56 that I tried is an amazing carver for me on Eastcoast ice(for a 56). But it did not float me enough, I would prefer its smaller size to get thru the tight bushwhacks but the float of the 60 has been good for my west coast pow trips

6'2" 205lb (plenty of float at 225 a few years ago too)

The now deceased Brent Tilden, 13 year Tremblant Ski Patrol veteran and one time chief, rode my old Fastback 74 in the trees on plates till his last season. He more than anyone showed me the way around the trees. I tried to mount his 4X4 plates on the 3D Burton of the fish but he never tasted such a sweet setup...all I feel is regret

100th post goes out to Brent and his son Jared who still rides that fastback