Note to New Members ×

How much is a day of carving worth?

Fastskiguy

How much money is a day of snowboarding worth?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How much money is a day of snowboarding worth?

• $100
    • $250
    • $500
    • $1000
    • $2000
    • No amount of money is worth trading for a day of snowboarding

How much money would you have to make in a day before you'd rather go to work than go snowboarding? Just for the discussion, let's say it's a nice day...not super epic great but pretty dang good. Think sunny, mid 20's, nice groom, and a few friends. Figure an hour of driving time and an apres beer or two. Light crowds, high speed lift, 80$ lift ticket, 20$ for lunch and such. And figure the day of work is a real solid day, pretty much working for 9-10 hours with a little break for lunch.

So...how much does it take to make you go to work before going snowboarding?

if its a vaction day and I get paid. I am there.

if its day without pay then it would have to be the best day ever.

overwhelming desire to eat keeps my at work.

Let's say it's not a vacation day so that if you get paid $100/day (or whatever) and you work you get the $100, if you snowboard you don't. How much does it take to get you to come to work?

I've never left the hill or the lineup to go into work. I work my butt off to make sure that does not happen. I have given up at most~45 minutes in the car to fix a problem via remote connection or over the phone (I'm a SysAdmin.) but I've never had to leave. But again this takes a lot of planning and effort on my part to see that it doesn't happen.

Young guy, needs the money, has a lot of years in front of him, 100$ would be totally worth it to go to work. Older guy, enough money to be comfy, figures....might as well take it when I can take it, $2K to work wouldn't be enough. Trust fund kid.....well, you get the idea, it totally depends on our situations, not as much our passion for the sport. I hate the idea of putting a price tag on my fun too but we all have our price and our responsibilities I guess.

After answering the question, try this mental exercise:

How much money do you spend on gear and lift tickets in an average year?

Any how many days per year do you ride?

Do you get the same number?

10 days at $80, 5 days at $40, plus a used board, new jacket, fancy steel intec receivers, let's just say around $1500-1600. It gets a lot higher when you factor in a couple of trips via air, lodging, rental car, resort food....Anything more than 15 days this year will be pure gravy so they're not exactly the same LOL! Hell it probably costs $20-30 per run if you add in the lost earnings from work.

Damn good question!

Season pass (early bird) = $1050

Accomodation fee (45 * 24) = $1080

Monies spent on equipment = $750

Fuel cost = $650

Trip to other ski fields = $2500 (incl. accomodation, airfare, food, pass)

Total cost = $6030

Divide by the number of days I ride per season (~30)

= $200 per day (yeah, it IS an expensive sport)

So, for me, $500 ;)

But in reality I've gone snowboarding even though I could make more than $800 on that day.... :smashfrea Pulling sickie to go snowboarding anyone? :eplus2:

If I go on a weekend (which is usually the case), I don't have to consider lost income. If I consider just lift tickets, gas & a bit of food, maybe $50. If I amortize my equipment, maybe double that.

it's a healthier way to look at it but if you could get a job on a Saturday that would pay you 100$ vs. go snowboarding for the day that would cost $50 then would you work or go snowboarding? How about 250? 500? I mean....$500 in pay plus the $50 you save by not going is $550 difference, is $550 worth giving up a "pretty good" day of snowboarding?

After answering the question, try this mental exercise:

How much money do you spend on gear and lift tickets in an average year?

Any how many days per year do you ride?

Do you get the same number?

When you put it that way I guess my daughter's carving has priority when it comes to cost cause I've had to buy new boots/board/jacket/pants/gloves/goggles/etc. nearly every year. And the past 2 years her tickets have been full price so for my daughter that'd be about $300 and for myself (no new gear for myself this year) about half that so $150. Now we usually go together so one day between the 2 of us would be $450. (That includes 2 stops at BK/McD's/TB 1 there and 1 back, plus gas)

I can pretty much "play hookie" on a moment's notice. However, I'm not taking a sick day because all of our time off work is paid personal leave (vacation & sick are treated the same). So, if I decide not to go to work, it would have to be big powder day - and then I wouldn't be carving. Most of my snowboarding buddies can't be so opportunistic - so I would likely going by myself.

The reason I have taken up carving was so that I would go without having a debate with myself if the snow conditions were "worth it". When I viewed it strictly from a good new snow perspective, I didn't go a lot of days because there wasn't any new. Many seasons would be nearly over & I hadn't gone much at all.

Within reason, I can depend that if I wake early, catch the 1st chair and ride until the slopes get crowded, the snow gets worn out or my legs begin to give out (whichever happens first), I can do this most any Saturday all season. The only reason to go mid-week would be to have less crowded slopes.