Note to New Members ×

Can it be repaired (04-05 Tanker 192)?

Bullwings

So, I really don't know what happened since I can positively say I didn't crash other than skid/washing out type of stuff when getting too low and losing edge hold. I only ride the board when there's a nice base layer - I have a dedicated rock board. And, I always stay on the designated run only, no going off the side into the trees or random spots with un-tracked powder etc. etc.

I'd like to say that the board just gave out due to my awesome carving skills and I pushed the board too hard and it cracked hahaha. However, I don't think I'm anywhere near that good, that and I only weigh 145 lbs. (Oh yeah, and I was using TD2.5s - TD3 e-ring/base).

Anyway, here's some pictures of the damage (taken with a POS P&S SD300):

ohpleb.jpg

f2izqg.jpg

2rojeww.jpg

2afd9b9.jpg

30iyjc7.jpg

Some of them are blurry, I'll try to snap a few more and see if I can get a clearer shot of the damage. Anyway, is there anyway to just glue it back up, clamp, P-tex, sand it and maybe still ride it?

Is that crack directly underneath a binding insert?

No, it's actually right below where the E-ring on my TD3 base ends. So directly on the other side of the crack is boarder right where the heel of my binding is. ||O|| So if you can picture that circle as the TD3 outline, the crack is the bolded line (on the other side of the board) and the outer lines are the edge of the board, if that makes any sense.

i have done that to 4 tankers in the last 2 years. it is not the ptex that cracked, it is the core (I disected all of mine to check, and with a lever you can bend the board open all the way to the topsheet). repairing it is fine if you glue it all back together well, but never ride with hardboots again id leave it as a dedicated powder board for softies. i think i may have posted this before, but i will reiterate here, the boards cannot take the small footprint metal bindings, even with lift plates and elastomers. i hate to say it, but i blame the bindings. i have been riding my newest tanker 200 with f2s for the last season and so far so good. the f2 has a longer base and gets closer to the edge of the board so it stresses the tanker less laterally.

in my experience while rad-airs are great and i still ride them, they weren't meant for hardboots, and with the newer models i think it shows.

i have killed:

tanker 177 (same year as yours, cracked in the same exact place)

tanker 177 (white and blue)

tanker 200 (dark navy)

reto 164 (tore inserts clean off the board)

PM if you want any more info

Yeah, thanks for the info, and I agree with you. I did the same exact thing to an 182 Tanker '07-'08 model two seasons ago.

I actually did some repair work last night and it's definitely down to the core (I peeled up the p-tex with and oyster knife to really take a look at what's going on in there). It's now a full on dedicated powder board for use with soft boots only. It's a good thing Bruce just mailed out my Coiler yesterday.

It's too bad too, I was really ramping up my skills a lot more on that board this season and turning some really tight arcs on my heel that I haven't been able to do before.

And Chris to answer your question: No, I didn't stuff the nose or tail and I don't jump while on hardboots unless it's by accident, which I didn't have any of with this board.

Damn, with all the boards I've broken since 2006 I'd have enough to get me a really awesome coil over setup for my car... hehe. All good though, it's just gear, so long as i'm not broken it was a good day. :biggthump

Looks fatal. Bummer. Did you hear it crack?

The photos are a bit confusing due to the red background.

It was at first hard to determine where on the board I was looking.

Perhaps change to "Macro" on the camera and use a white background.

The lighter boards are , well, lighter.

One of the reasons I love the 02/03. Pure BEEF!!

Take it to a reputable repair shop.... Might be fixable with a deep injection of good epoxy. If it is near your bindings, I would be hessitant to ride it. If its got any movement that is not responsive to a binding over it saddly I'd say it has seen its last hard days ride... or you risk a complete delam or worse.... bodily harm :(

Its a bummer dude...... I know, I have 3 sitting on my wall rack right now as well. I'm a featherweight kind of a guy too, but that doesn't mean we dont have the strength or ride ability to bust boards like the heavyweights can ;)

Too bad, but that stick is done.

I heard there were a bunch of tankers out there that were not eligible for warranty for some reason. Maybe this was one of them?

I rail my tanker 192 hard with snowpros/nordica sbh's with no issues other than insert suck on the base...and I'm no lightwieght.

I did delam an Oxygen FR 168 with td1's/race boots though..but I was bouncing out after a death cookie hit in icy conditions. I've seen willywhit do the same to a sims soul carve with td1's.

I'd waste no money on it.

you now have a super cool bench though.

I have a few super cool benches now. A prototype Madd BX that I ripped the inserts out of, a Tanker 182 07/08, and now this. It's too bad I didn't get to keep the 4wd that I broke. And yeah, I'm not going to bother on the professional repair, it doesn't seem worth it.

As far as being a lightweight guy, i'm pretty sure I sit somewhere at the bottom 10% versus the rest of the bomber board at 145 lbs.

Where freeride boards and plate bindings are concerned, well, all I can say is that my 161 ATV (very first board truly designed for carving - even if for softies) has held up to around 45+ days of abuse and is still going strong. It's so durable that instead of IT breaking, I broke... Prior describes it as a uni-directional freeride board.

My first tanker only got 9 days of use. This 192 has about 20 days.

Hey my tanker 192 like that did that same thing right on the edge of the ering and cracked the core and dimpled the base . Another reason why the white 02-03 ones rule the world . There has been a few for sale recently and they can take the abuse of plates , jumping , and whatever . Just ask Bryan ....

Hey my tanker 192 like that did that same thing right on the edge of the ering and cracked the core and dimpled the base . Another reason why the white 02-03 ones rule the world . There has been a few for sale recently and they can take the abuse of plates , jumping , and whatever . Just ask Bryan ....

That's what I have.

As far as being a lightweight guy, i'm pretty sure I sit somewhere at the bottom 10% versus the rest of the bomber board at 145 lbs.

That would also be my percentile..... but at 6'2" its solid muscles and jawbone ;) I bulk up preseason to around 160 or so (and I have a very fast metabolizm so its extremely difficult for me to gain weight)

I'm 155#s presently, but by april I'm usualy down to around 146 @ around day # 50 on the snow for the season (plus gear weight; Im at 175)

Just besure to round out those edges before making a bench.... a friend of mine sliced his thigh rather cleanly while carying it on his bench when he forgot to grind the edges off the back of his...

EDIT: atleast I don't feel sooooo so bad anymore about my fave board getting toasted after 35 days or so on it... I guess for the way we ride, its the ultimate compliment?

Dang Albert!! If you ever ask to borrow one of my boards I am definitely saying no, that goes for skis too!! What is this?? number 3 on the broken boards??

I have never broken a board in my 13 years of carving. It must be my light weight of 190 lbs floating like a butterfly on my boards!:D:D

Glad to hear that you are getting the Coiler soon. There will be lots of pretty new boards to look at this year!!

how did the Monoski work out for you?

At least you have this to remember it by. :1luvu:

Guess who took that amazing photo? :biggthump

Albert, how about turning the back bench seat of your car into 3 boards?

one for the seat, the other two for back rests.

with some clear foam/cloth on top for comfort?

Is it on your heel side or toe side of the board Albert?

I know you showed me, but I don't remember.

I believe its from the hard pressure you exert on one edge, more than the other.

and since the base is different pieces of PTex, just jig-sawed together, the pressure of the plate popped the PTex out, and pushed the core into the weak spot, resulting in core damage.

does that sound right?

At least you have this to remember it by. :1luvu:
Yeah, it was working very well that day in 55F with all the slush. Awesome for everything except for full on boiler plate ice and moguls :freak3:
Guess who took that amazing photo? :biggthump

Thanks Andrea. Hehe

Dang Albert!! If you ever ask to borrow one of my boards I am definitely saying no, that goes for skis too!! What is this?? number 3 on the broken boards??

...how did the Monoski work out for you?

That's actually number 5 on the broken boards, 4 since I've known you. That's why I didn't want to try out Erwin's Coiler. However, this season, we can swap coilers and try each others out. That way, if I break his, he can have mine...

Monoski didn't work out, my hips are still all bruised and banged up. Although I'm willing to give it another shot on some softer conditions.

Is it on your heel side or toe side of the board Albert?

It's on my heel side. I think I've been turning some tighter arcs on my heel side lately.