Note to New Members ×

DIY question: OK to sheetrock over unused phone jack?

Dan

My house is an 1913 Craftsman. It's great, but a lot of people over the years have had their own -- not always good -- ideas about how things should be laid out.

I have a room that has a coax cable coming out of a hole in the floor, with a coax jack on the wall 4 feet away from that. On the facing wall, there's an unused junction box (probably 50 years old) covered with a plate, and an unused phone jack. I was tempted to drywall over the junction box, but Google says that's not up to code.

How about the phone jack? Can I take off the faceplate and just drywall over it, or is there a reason not to do that?

My house is an 1913 Craftsman. It's great, but a lot of people over the years have had their own -- not always good -- ideas about how things should be laid out.

I have a room that has a coax cable coming out of a hole in the floor, with a coax jack on the wall 4 feet away from that. On the facing wall, there's an unused junction box (probably 50 years old) covered with a plate, and an unused phone jack. I was tempted to drywall over the junction box, but Google says that's not up to code.

How about the phone jack? Can I take off the faceplate and just drywall over it, or is there a reason not to do that?

take the actual jack out and then put caps or some sort of insulators on the wires and proceed.

it's what I'd do, no idea if it's the right thing though.

Dan,

Are there any wires in the j-box? If not pull it and be done with it

If there are, are they live? if yes, leave it, if no find a way to pull 'em back and see above.

Pull the old phonejack and wires out and be done with them

mario

Hi Dan.

Give me a call , I can help you sort it out.

Briefly , if the wire can be used (as in hooked up and made "Live") you should not cover it up. If it is dead, and can not be hooked up at the other end some where. Feel free to abandon it and "Cover".

Definitely NOT ok if it is a "J-box" or a branch circuit of any kind.

Couple other common issues with DIY electrical outlets. If you raise the wall surface you need to "Extend" the outlet box.

Always leave the wires from the outlet ciruit long enough to extend at least 6" past the wall, floor or ceiling surface for make up.

If the phone and cable are old, and not part of the new system, do as SBS says, tape it up,plaster over,and forget about it. In a lot of years of dealing with electrical inspectors, I haven't met one who cares about redundant low voltage cables, and boxes.

BobD