Note to New Members ×

Coiler VSR

D.T.

Here is a re-post of my VSR review from the LCI '09-'10 thread in the Video section

The flex index on my board is 6.8 + 6.

173cm VSR:

Likes to be ridden hard. Rides longer than it is. Never ran out of edge. Turn shapes are unlimited. Can ride race style or surf style with awesome performance or just tip it from edge-to-edge. Tail is significantly stiffer and more poppy than the Monster - my fat ass was catching air during transitions. My back leg got a lot more of a workout than it is used to because of the tail stiffness. pcdenver and I were killin' Richards & Switchback yesterday then Richards & Roulette today. :biggthump No issues with the the stair-steps or rollers. Conditions were decent with chunky spots,bullet proof spots, and man-made spots. Lay hard into a carve, go over a roller, apex in the crap, the board wouldn't even shudder. The VSR has the performance of a metal board with the snap of a glass board.

Even though the VSR is meant to be a freecarve board, it would run slalom gates with no issues. Not as stable at higher speeds as the Monster; well no sh!t, it has less taper. I'll have to check with the mad scientist and see what the sidecut radii are again (edit: SCR 9.9m/12.7m/12.0m). :o My 173 was turning significantly tighter than pc's 177 with me just tipping it and pc driving the piss out of his. PC will have to post his radii specs.

VSR and Monster are night-n-day different; a perfect balance for each other...

I think I have found my quiver in these two boards. :eek:

I can't believe I just said that...

Bruce - you are a f@#king genius.

pcdenver's review from the same thread

i'm on a 177 coiler VSR

11.5, 14.2, 13.2 made to spec: 6'2", 235 pounds

. . . wait a sec, that's 5'2", 135 pounds

i've also got joel p's old 177 classic, 13.2

both with 19 waists

so . . . both hold across the hill exceptionally well

the VSR hooks easily into turns, making a run where

i usually use 2/3 of the hill now i can use 1/2 (richards)

both are stable at speed, but i'm not as comfortable on the VSR

yet. i like the size of the 177, like having that much board beneath me

bottom line: quality products, super stable, no complaints

still getting used to the VSR

bruce: if you're reading this, charge at least $100 more. folks

will still buy them, and you can get in more golf time

• 3 weeks later...

Just got two days on my new VSR 177. Weekdays, so both where late afternoons, but good test conditions. Yesterday was a bit lumpy and soft, and today was icy and smooth. It was good both days, but really shined on the icy and smooth.

My other metal coiler is a 185 Monster. I didn't ride them back to back, but I'll draw some initial comparisons anyway. The VSR enjoys being ridden harder. It's like an NSR that's willing to be tamed, or a Monster with a gas pedal; rider's choice. What you do with the rear of the board makes a noticeable difference. Twist the tail in (back knee towards the snow) and you get a tight, speed scrubbing turn like a Monster, relax the tail a bit and your turn opens up and you accelerate out of the turn like there's a rocket booster back there.

It's stiffer over all, not just in the tail. Maybe a little more pop off the tail than the Monster, but still not much compared to the non-metals that I have. That's just fine though, because what you get in return from Bruce's metal boards is great edge control. When you finally do push the edge beyond traction limits (e.g. on ice), it slides predictably and hooks up smoothly when you get below the limits again. No painful board gymnastics. You can be laid out in a carve, slide a bald spot in the middle of your turn, and simply let it hook up and keep going. No chatter, just a little scrape and go. From last year's SES demos, this characteristic seems true of all of Bruce's metal boards; simply genius.

Sidewall code: T177 VSR M 0103G1 - 6.5 + 6

Rider: 180 lbs

Boots: UPZ RTR

Bindings: TD3, with 3 degree toe and heel lift.

Stance: Centered on inserts. ~19.5 inches

Conclusion: My new favorite, at least for smooth hardpack. I suspect the Monster may still be more forgiving when the going gets lumpy and soft, but will have to do some back to back tests.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Now I've got 9 days and 219,000 vertical feet on my VSR 177 and am still lovin' this board. It totally rocks on steep hardpack. We haven't had much fresh snow at the local hill (Whitefish Mountain Resort, MT) in the last 3 weeks. The grooming has been good, but mild temps have meant pretty fast firm hardpack each day, and this thing just eats that up.

You can turn it on a dime completing turns on the steeps, or you can open it up and slalom the cruisers, it's at home doing both. Oh, but it does like the steeps. Today I was able to carve on two winch groomed black diamonds (Big Face Chute and Heep Steep), and got a "That was amazing!" from a skier. If you've ever carved Big Mountain, think Ptarmigan Bowl and Larch, only steeper, narrower, and longer.

So, after an extended get acquainted period, it's still my new favorite. I highly recommend this board.

I recently picked up a Coiler VSR T 175 (177 template with 2cm taken off the nose) and now have a couple days on it.

So far, I couldn't be more impressed with two things:

One, the vast range of turn sizes and speeds the shape will handle without compromising edge hold like mentioned in the reviews above. It'll do little loopy carves like my 11.5 meter board that I'm 30 pounds over the top of the weight range on and also has a nice, solid under-foot feeling of a larger sidecut board when doing fall line carves at higher speeds.

The other is not so much the board, but the builder. I didn't pick the VSR shape or size. I just told Bruce what I wanted as far as ride characteristics along with my height, weight, and description of where I ride. He decided what would fit the bill. After placing the order, I read some of the reviews above and to be honest, thought I was getting the wrong board. I didn't want a board that popped, I didn't want a board that had a "gas pedal". What I asked for, is a board for a guy with a broken back that would ride really mellow and slow down the world around you. What showed up is a board that is exactly that. He nailed the ride and feel I was looking for with a couple of quick conversations.

I never liked the term "quiver killer". Still don't, but I certainly understand why people use it after experiencing the range of riding the VSR will comfortably handle in just two days of getting used to it. Getting used to it may not be the right term. Within a couple of hours I was riding to the level I was before getting this board and the other day and a half I've been progressing on terrain that had been out of my reach until now.

I couldn't be happier with this board.

The VSR is an awesome board, Bruce built me a 173 and after being on a nitro cam for almost 9 seasons this board just does everything for me. I ride with a very aggresive style and the harder i push this board the better it works. I have used it twice so far but can't get enough..i can't stop going its all i think about. Wheter you are ripping thru hard packed a bit of fresh stuff or ice this board sticks like glue, very smooth on transitions and even great on a few jumps. I can't wait to try out some of Bruces other boards and creations..go Coiler I'm happy i didn't go with the Swoard cause i can get two Coiler boards for the price of one swoard, and i'm extreme carving on the VSR no problem just check some pics in the photo section i recently added.

You can't go wrong with a Coiler if you're not happy with your board Bruce will do everything in his power til all is well, even if it means building another board.:eek: Great boards and even better customer service..:D

Great review!!! Anyone know if the VSR have decamber nose/tail?

Thank you in advance.

David

Indeed it does. It's my first new school board but I'm waiting until I have more than 5 days on it before I write a review. Definitely put in your order now though :eplus2:

This is a review of the VSR 177 M+ Turbo in the SES demo tent from W - F.

This particular board was built for 190 pounds, I am just a shade under 190. I have been bugging Bruce for a variable sidecut version of my 177 Classic / Utility Stick for some time now, that one has a 14.2 sidecut. For those who rode the yellow 177 VSR from last spring's demos in CA or OR, I believe this board is partially the result of feedback from that one... but don't quote me on that, always ask the Boardmaster such things.

In any case this 177 M+ rocks. As with all the Coiler VSR's it can comfortably make a wide variety of turn shapes. It definitely prefers harder snow but did just fine in the soft snow on Tiehack, Tuesday of SES late afternoon. This model is more relaxed than my 1709 "tight" of the same construction in soft snow for sure. On hard snow the nose bites in readily and positively. I took it out several times during SES including First Tracks at Ajax Friday morning when my legs were just decimated, it kept my misfiring body going all morning on Ruthies and for two trips down Cooper, first and last run of the morning.

Very sure-footed at higher speeds; can carve nicely at moderate speeds; will dump speed aggressively for a 177 when ridden on the nose.

Where it suffers in comparison to my Classic is when I try to dump speed by simply bending the board in the middle. The VSR flex pattern for the same rider weight as a radial board, is stiffer in the mid/back and softer up front. This gives it a more positive initiation but once you're in the middle of the turn

there is less flex to play with. This effect is more noticeable on the Mid+ than on my Tight sidecut 170. As such, I won't be selling my Classic just yet as sometimes I like trading initiation for mid-flex.

All in all this board was "love at first turns" and this feeling did not go away the 2nd and 3rd times I took it out. I will be getting one... although it will be the "non-turbo" layup which will add some more bend at the cost of some pop, making it less work on steeps and I am guessing a shade more like my Classic in terms of feel in the mid-section.

If you were having trouble deciding between an NSR and the VSR, consider the VSR Mid+ sidecut.

• 1 month later...