Note to New Members ×

getting faster edge to edge...

Call me jack

Okay, so i think i have a problem get edge with my whole get quickly from edge to edge. i've noticed it's a particular problem on the steeps.

What change can i made to my set up to help speed up my transitions?

*last year i was riding on ski boots, and i didn't feel like i was having as much trouble getting from heel to toe, like i am this year on my deeluxe t700s and it just feels like i need a adjustment to my set up to get some of leverage back... i have catek bingings btw.

What change can i made to my set up to help speed up my transitions?

Don't wanna be a smartass, but a narrower board will usually do the trick.

Some members may frown upon this, but...... since males carry a higher percentage of their weight in the upper body, the closer you can keep this weight to the snow, the more quickly you will be able to "swing" your upper body over your board to make the next turn. This involves bending your knees more, not standing up so straight.

later,

Dave R.

How are your legs at the end of your turn? Straight and stiff or crouched and low? To make fast transitions, you need stored energy to push into your next turn and if you're standing up you have none. IMO: I enjoy watching carvers who make fast edge transitions more than anything else. Low turns are great and all but anyone can lay 'em down if they're lollygagging between each turn. It's the fast transitions that make a rider's style look hot. I'm working on this myself. I still get stiff legged and lollygag fairly often but I'm working on it actively.

steeps:

To be really helpful, I think some video would help. I'm not the best on super steep terrain but I've been working on it. For me what helps is using a push-pull technique on steep stuff, where you get your board pointing across the fall line and with your body in a fairly compact position, push the board uphill to initiate the turn. The board will come around and catch you, at which point you should be coming around to the point where it is pointing downhill. At this point you start gathering the board back under you to get back into that compressed position while pointing downhill. Repeat.

Another way of thinking of it is not so much pushing the board uphill, but rather letting your body roll over the board and fall somewhat downhill as your board comes around to catch you.

It can be a bit unsettling to tip your body downhill as your board is pointing across the fall line, but it works, and it feels kind of magic when you link your first few turns this way. The key to the transitions is to remember to suck the board back up beneath you at the end of your turns. If your legs are extended when your board is pointing across the fall line you will not be able to get your body to push the board uphill - because you can't push with straight legs. It's a slow firm consistent push, not a heroic shove ... that will have you sliding face-first downhill. think of rolling your body over the edge and applying uphill pressure to your downhill edge as you look into your turn ...

I find riding steep terrain actually helps me enforce better technique sometimes: it forces you to really concentrate on what you are doing.

start your new turns before you are even headded downhill.... Its a bit of a leap of faith, but once you learn to trust your gear and know your body positioning, you can anticipate the point where your edges will engage and then bow the board underyou to slice it around and "catch" you on the fall line.

then again.... if you don't do it right... you get this gem :)

:biggthump

hmmm.... thanks guys. it sound, to me, like i just need to have some one watch me more than any thing; i already fallow a lot of what your guys are saying, and i'm wondering if i'm just being my own worst critic. (now that i think about it i'm basing all of this off of when i was fallowing my ski racer friends line, in soft boots)

Regardless, i'm still going to practice and write down all of this (i take notes to read on the chair lift)

Thanks guys!

Edit: i'm riding a Donek Axxess so my wider waste may be part of the cause of my slower transitions..

And whats the t32 video? i looked it up but i can't find any thing on it