Note to New Members ×

What is carving? I dont get it

jtslalom

JT, I went to a local HEAD dealer and asked for their bootfitter to get some replacement hardware for me. They said "HEAD does not make any snowboard specific boots".

I blinked.

I stared,

I blinked again.

Dumbfounded by his reply, I just simply gestured with my index finger to my other hand and the boots that were in them and said nothing except

"you really need to bone up on your HEAD product line....."

I'm looking forward to this comming weeekend and seeing all the "newhires" for the snowboard staff @ my mountain. It never ceases to draw the "drop-jaw" when I rip past one of the training groups about 5 inches off the deck in a tucked turn down a side slope and then stand it back up and go the other way to later have them all come up and say "WTF .... how do you ride like that!"

:biggthump

You might want to consider that tanker that Bob is trying to sell. Otherwise why don't you consider buying a board from Donek? The razor is made for softboot carving and all mountain riding as well. Or you could have Sean make you something else if you need a wider waist width for bigger feet.American made and it will carve.He also has the Saber which is a new design. Support a company that makes boards for carving for both types of boots!

JT, I went to a local HEAD dealer and asked for their bootfitter to get some replacement hardware for me. They said "HEAD does not make any snowboard specific boots".

I blinked.

I stared,

I blinked again.

Dumbfounded by his reply, I just simply gestured with my index finger to my other hand and the boots that were in them and said nothing except

"you really need to bone up on your HEAD product line....."

I'm looking forward to this comming weeekend and seeing all the "newhires" for the snowboard staff @ my mountain. It never ceases to draw the "drop-jaw" when I rip past one of the training groups about 5 inches off the deck in a tucked turn down a side slope and then stand it back up and go the other way to later have them all come up and say "WTF .... how do you ride like that!"

:biggthump

LOL, get over yourself. lame.

We've got a couple instructors at Schwietzer that can rail trenches duckfoot in good snow.

The perpetuation of board pivoting as carving is a shame, but I guess that's what happens when they choose to learn snowsports from utoob instead of taking a lesson:smashfrea

yeah there is a guy on my local hill who does that as well, really a nice thing to watch and he does it like its no big deal. None of the other park monkeys have a clue about turning sadly.

Last year at Cypress Mountain (2010 Olympic snowboarding venue), the World Cup pipe riders took a public run from the top of the chair to the top of the pipe.

They were all carving cleanly on soft gear and duck stance. It was a green run (equivalent to blue or black on some smaller hills out East).

Good riders can carve, no news there, really. So can good skiers (see other thread). I don't ride with anyone who can't, yet they all ride soft boots except for the skiers. Soft boots don't make you forget how to turn.

I think the separation hard/ soft is artificial and there are better ways to group people. I'm 100% at home riding with good soft booters; I'm probably further from the stylistic "extreme carve" people than I am from competent soft booters. I've ridden with people who alternate soft and hard boots, and I can't really tell which they're riding from a distance.

Good riders can carve, no news there, really. So can good skiers (see other thread). I don't ride with anyone who can't, yet they all ride soft boots except for the skiers. Soft boots don't make you forget how to turn.

I think the separation hard/ soft is artificial and there are better ways to group people. I'm 100% at home riding with good soft booters; I'm probably further from the stylistic "extreme carve" people than I am from competent soft booters. I've ridden with people who alternate soft and hard boots, and I can't really tell which they're riding from a distance.

yeah, my feelings are similar. some of the best riders I know rail carves getting too and from whatever they are jibbing