Note to New Members ×

Taking Advil while riding= Bad

Bobby Buggs

I created problems for myself by popping Iboprofen prior to snowboarding each day. I tightened my hard-boots up so tight each day, I was able to rupture a tendon sheath in my ankle. It caused a good amount of fluid build-up in one area of my ankle, that minor surgery was needed. I didn't notice anything at the time, until I got back after a trip and noticed a difference in my ankle size. So, I only take them when needed now.

Trappe, T. A. et al. Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis. Am. J. Physiol Endocrinol. Metab 282, E551-E556 (2002).

The results of this study were that, in the untreated subjects, post-exercise muscle protein synthesis (24 hours post-workout) increased in upwards of 76%, while subjects that received either acetaminophen or ibuprofen saw no significant increase at all.

Rodemann, H. P. & Goldberg, A. L. Arachidonic acid, prostaglandin E2 and F2 alpha influence rates of protein turnover in skeletal and cardiac muscle. J. Biol. Chem. 257, 1632-1638 (1982)

This study showed that NSAIDs reduce prostaglandin synthesis by inhibiting the COX enzyme can reduce pain and inflammation, but at the same time reduction of the specific prostaglandin, PGF2-α has a dramatic effect on the ability of muscles to hypertrophy.

Trappe, T. A., Fluckey, J. D., White, F., Lambert, C. P. & Evans, W. J. Skeletal muscle PGF(2)(alpha) and PGE(2) in response to eccentric resistance exercise: influence of ibuprofen acetaminophen. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab 86, 5067-5070 (2001)

This study confirmed the earlier Rodemann study showing the adverse effects of NSAIDs on muscle mass/recovery using human subjects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This stuff isn't just my opinion. The potential adverse effects of NSAIDs have been known for years. The problem is not with taking NSAIDs for a short time for an acute problem (e.g. sprain or high fever ) or under the supervision of your doctor for a chronic problem. The problem is many people are popping them as preventative medicine prior to an activity, or taking too many, too long after an activity for some minor soreness. NSAIDs can have dangerous side effects if used for the wrong reasons.

Thank you! Great reply!

This is all I was looking for. Your first posts about this were a little too general.

This is an interesting topic as I just found some interesting facts about this last week. I'm an active runner that does quite a few races a year. I use to pop ibuprofen before races and for snowboarding to loosen my muscles up.

After a recent visit to my doctors after sever ankle sprain she informed me that there is recent research regarding the use of NSAIDs prior to high levels of exercise can make you more prone to ligament damage. I have not been able to find the research study on Google. If anyone knows what I"m referring to please post the link.

This is an interesting topic as I just found some interesting facts about this last week.

Dude!! I always post Thought provoking chit;)

Pat just ordered some Sportlegs for my Vail trip on the 13th, You think I should try to reach Uncle Smooth?? My cell is still the same 413-531-9734 if you wanna call

The amount and when used have major effects, from what I have been told from ortheos, and physios.

Using lets say Ibo, for pain releif in a lower dose vers using a higher dose to fight inflamation create totally differnt result. By hindering muslce repair you are of course creating long term issues . But according to the tosh medical center in Park City, there are uses for Ibo but not as a daily candy. And or as a "drug" to hid or reduce pain while condecting strenuious activity.

This is first hand knowledge and I have nothing but my memory, and a bunch of injuries, repairs and visits to some of the most up to date sport clinics in the country to back up these claims. Tosh is the ortho mecca they do all the testing on our national team ski and snowboard athlete which I think pertains to our sport. Also pretty much all the heavys from triathletes to tiger wood trust them and their ideas.

I grew up with a medical secretary as a mom,

As long as I can remember, I was told "If you can handle the pain, don't complain". "Stay off the meds and you will heal faster" as being 2 common sayings from her.

that was reinforced by Chris Rock later in life.....

:biggthump

I am dating an RN now and she also reads this forum and she said that IB is definately an Anti-Inflamitory but should not be used for more than 72 hours after an injury as it definatley can inhibit regeneration synthesis at the site of swelling.

I will request a MD report from her that I can PDF and post later this week. She has tons of good info @ her office in the ER on this subject.