Note to New Members ×

When do you put away the rock boards?

Keenan

So I keep seeing pictures of the Coloradans riding this season on newer gear (go ahead, rub it in). I'm interested to hear how much of a snow base most people need in order to put away the rock boards and break out the good stuff. For me, it's 40" lower mountain.

Most of CO is rockin' an 18" base. For the most part that is "tougher" manmade snow with some of mother natures own sweetness thrown into the mix. Last weekend there was a small (12'x12') section at the rollover of one run that had signs of being thin. We kept to the other side of the run and had no issues, only fun.

These days the LCI doesn't seem to grab rock boards. We usually use smaller SCR in the early season while there is little terrain to be shared by too many. Once more terrain opens up the larger SCR come out.

Actually last season both D.T. and Big Mario purchased "rock" boards and I haven't seen them out since last season right after purchase.

Ink

All board are potentially a rock board.......:)

+1

I always say I'll use an old board early season but 9 times out of 10 I break out the new stick/s on 2' of cover and go mining.

I've hit rocks with new boards in february so its really a crap shoot even with good coverage.

to quote Warren Miller talking about early season cover at alpental; 6" of new over 7" inch rocks:freak3: