Note to New Members ×

EuroCarving on Softies, Video

anke

Nothing personal, really, I mean it!

Just getting totally tired of this Eurocarve, Extremecarve, Lowcarve, Ultracarve, Megacarve style, posercarve or god knows what kinda carve talk… it’s simple, when you have speed, enough speed and make a turn and the speed /g-force actually forces you to get low so you can actually hold the turn with all the strength you have in your body and god forbid, your hands might even touch the snow, than you can call it what ever you want. For me, it’s a turn, A Carve, hopefully a good one… making it around the slope, from one side to the other, and all this without hopefully loosing the edge! Turn after turn. If someone makes nice turns in softboots, so be it, nothing wrong with it, as long as the equipment holds up to the task, good luck!!!

Cheers!

just came across this video, and was surprised to see what's possible with softies:

http://stevedold.com/snowboard/tahoecarvers/20011208/index.html (click on the "Peter eurocarving video" link)

can this be archived with most freeride boards?

or is that a swoard in the video?

Old 2001 video (not a Swoard at that time). Next one should be a lot smoother on the new Dual, hopefully with a goPro chase!

Just getting totally tired of this Eurocarve, Extremecarve, Lowcarve, Ultracarve, Megacarve style, posercarve or god knows what kinda carve talk… it’s simple ...

The guy's doing rather more than just carving turns: he's diving down to the snow. It's not at all news that you can carve boards on softies; the whole point of this is that the guy's Extreme Carving.

Thinking about it the EC (note to the obtuse: work it out from the context) style is probably more amenable to soft boots with the mellower angles and wider boards.

Why you'd want to do it is a different question.

My only point was that I have seen MUCH better carving done on softboots, so saying this is what softboots can do isn't accurate.

Yeah, I threw my stuff in the dump because it was 12 years old and clapped out. I didn't replace it because we don't get enough powder here to justify it, AND, my Coiler Schtubby does so well as an all-mtn board anyway.

An honest question, sailor... have you tried hardboots?

It is rather easy to throw a toe side EC on softies, providing that you don't have big boot overhang. Heel side is posible too, if you ride angles steep enough to allow the body and hips rotation into the direction of travel. I have never seen anyone doing a recovered heel side EC on duck stance or very low angles...

yeah... not my idea of good EC or good carving. also it looks like there's plenty of good snow to work with there, so i wouldn't call this "what is possible" on softies. i've seen a lot better (Vin Q).

To his defense, that video was his first few season (2 or 3) on carving gear and first season doing EC when EC was not even on the map.

I sure hope that since then (2001) both his carving and EC carving skills have improved;)

And yes they only have hero snow in Tahoe as far as I know.

Go ride with any national boardercross team then you will understand the limits of soft boots.

I have been railing turns to max angles since the early 90's in soft boots.

I ride 18-22 front and 9-(-9) rear. Sean had som pics of Gilmour and I playing on soft boots, I wonder were it went?

Go ride with any national boardercross team then you will understand the limits of soft boots.

I have been railing turns to max angles since the early 90's in soft boots.

I ride 18-22 front and 9-(-9) rear. Sean had som pics of Gilmour and I playing on soft boots, I wonder were it went?

Hi Bordy,

Just wondering what condition you ride the -9 in?

Also when kiting, what angles do you use (can anyboard do when kiting)? Hoping to get into it this winter.

I ride 18/-9 on almost all my boards for freeriding when rocking soft boots.

I will rock +9 when I ride boardercross sticks.

On my kite board I ride 21/-21, You can ride almost any board to kite with, last year I won nationals on a tanker 200.

For kiting it is best to ride a twin tip shape with a centered stance since you all mostly on your heel side tacking back and forth.

I ride for a company called twistedkiteboards, I helped design the current stick I ride it is a rockered banana shape.

http://www.flyozoneusa.com/products/twisted-velocity-kite-snowboard-164cm

If you are going to kite take a lesson it will make kiting easy to learn and safe. With out a lesson you get worked and can get hurt!

Good luck

Thanks for the info.

Cool shape for the board. Would it still work on ice as we tend to go on mix snow/ice around here on frozen lakes.

Sounds like if you use a VERY used board, although not the banana shape, it might be better than a fully cambered board for kiting??

guys, have some slack :smashfrea no matter how you call what he's doing, if he's good or not from your perspective, if you are tired of the whole eurocarving thing, i personally just haven't seen anybody ever doing this on softies, and i REALLY did not know you can get so low.

just a basic beginner question from me, keep that in mind...

thanks to those who answered objectively :biggthump

starting to like those smilies :lurk:

guys, have some slack :smashfrea no matter how you call what he's doing, if he's good or not from your perspective, if you are tired of the whole eurocarving thing, i personally just haven't seen anybody ever doing this on softies, and i REALLY did not know you can get so low.

just a basic beginner question from me, keep that in mind...

thanks to those who answered objectively :biggthump

starting to like those smilies :lurk:

Anke,

Remember, just becuase this is new to you , doesn't mean its new to others, I have seen a couple hundred people ride as such in soft boots, over the past 15 years so just as your opinion is valid based on your experance so are others with more experance, Its up to you to choose to respect the posters who have the experance in this sport......and are sharing info based on such.:)

Drzone,

A banana board works on Ice I have ridden mine on almost pure glaze, but in that case it really depends on which board has a sharper edge and how good the riders board feel is, The amount of life left in the board(camber) really will not effect a kite board as much becuase you are not loading and realeseing into each turn as you would on a hill, you set the edge and enjoy the ride!!!

dear bordy,

i must clarify:

i accept everybody's opinion, it's all good and valid. don't get me wrong. i highly respect all the pros and long-time members here. i check this forum every day because it's so interesting and i learn a lot.

i just asked "can this style be achieve with freeride boards, and is this a swoard?" i was also surprised to see this, because i have never seen anybody doing this on softies before.

this whole thread just went a bit off-topic in my opinion, when i just hoped for some education.

does that make sense?

dear bordy,

i must clarify:

i accept everybody's opinion, it's all good and valid. don't get me wrong. i highly respect all the pros and long-time members here. i check this forum every day because it's so interesting and i learn a lot.

i just asked "can this style be achieve with freeride boards, and is this a swoard?" i was also surprised to see this, because i have never seen anybody doing this on softies before.

this whole thread just went a bit off-topic in my opinion, when i just hoped for some education.

does that make sense?

No thread at this site ever stays on topic there are just to many cheifs for the soup online, I am stoked that you are inspired by the vids and hope you go out and ride harder!

I get where your coming from!