Note to New Members ×

Anyone unicycle out there?

jonbass

I just saw someone mention unicycling as a way to cross train on another thread and I was wondering how many unicyclists we have in this comunity. Anyone ride a unicycle out there? What type of uni and what type of riding?

I have 2 unis, a Kris Holm KH 29 with a Magura brake and a Nimbus 19" trials uni. I mostly ride trails but work on some trials stuff every once in a while.

Unicycling is a lot of fun. It doesn't really have the speed factor that some carvers and mountain bikers may be looking for but it makes up for it with focus and balance.

Any unicyclists out there?

that's three people on this forum that I know of, creepy, weird people.

do you LARP too?

just ribbing you, sometimes I feel like I am this guy when posting on BOL though <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350" data="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf"/><param name="FlashVars" value="id=d920516b180819d626000a96913a7109" /><embed src="http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" FlashVars="id=d920516b180819d626000a96913a7109" allowFullScreen="true" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Never tried LARPing. I actually had to look it up. Really!!:D

Couldn't view the vid because I'm not in the states.

My wife is usually pretty embarrassed to go mountain biking with me. i thought it was just me...hmmm

Here a good trials video. No clowns, juggling or elves! :D

Nice pics! Are you using studded tires or just running normal ones?

We are using regular knobby BMX tires that have been "siped". It provides pretty good traction on low angle descents. We are going to stud our tires with 3/8 sheet metal screws as soon as they start grooming and we can start riding higher angle runs. we have looked but cannot find any commercially produced studded 24 inch tires.:biggthump

• 2 months later...

I just bought a new 36" Kris Holm road unicycle. Can't wait to ride it! I will deck it out with a hydraulic brake and touring handle for spring training! :D

I'm a little nervous to be that high off the ground.

I now have more unicycles than snowboards. My wife is not impressed! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on a unicycle for a few years. Sold mine around 2004. Wasn't using it much living downtown. Now that I live in CO, and trails out the back door, you've got me jonesin' for the offroad type:1luvu:. I'm thinking a great way to walk the dogs.

Something for me to think about for summer. Although, I also see some of you are pushing the seasonal envelope for these.

you pretty much have all the bases covered now. my friend bought a Surly Uni with the 26" tire with the two speed hub. pretty incredible ride. if it wasn't for the price, ($2600.00) i would sell my unis and buy one. We studded our tires with 3/8 sheet metal screws. worked pretty well on hardpack and ice, but on steep groomers of Snow King they were no help at all. they also increase rolling resistance to a point where the uni is only ride-able downhill. i had a sheet metal screw in every lug, around three hundred. this photo is my tire i finished last night. one inch sheet metal screws, put in from the inside out. as soon as it stops snowing and we have some solid groomers will try it out. :biggthump

post-3662-141842303107_thumb.jpg

Nice.

I can imagine how hard that would be to ride. Have you tried to use shorter screws? Try not to have any collisions with that bad boy. It reminds me of the times my dog used to get into porcupines when I was a kid! :p

I found that on relatively flat hardpack the traction is pretty good because all your weight is on one wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice video Pat. I want to get on my trials uni more. I like the skinny riding around 6:00. I wish I had the balance! Last year I fell in love with my 29er on the trails and never really got back into trials. I haven't had much chance to take out my touring uni yet but it looks like it will be a fun summer!

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought an inexpensive uni off of ebay to get started with! :eek: Very sad that snow season is ending, just as my carving is coming together and my legs are starting to feel like they have at least slightly more strength than soggy kleenex. :rolleyes: Uni seems like a good way to work on strength and balance at the same time, and (like carving) will probably be another great humbling experience...! :)

p.s. Pat, thanks for the fun article! Very nice!

Just bought an inexpensive uni off of ebay to get started with! :eek: Very sad that snow season is ending, just as my carving is coming together and my legs are starting to feel like they have at least slightly more strength than soggy kleenex. :rolleyes: Uni seems like a good way to work on strength and balance at the same time, and (like carving) will probably be another great humbling experience...! :)

p.s. Pat, thanks for the fun article! Very nice!

Awesome. You will have a lot of fun. it takes a bit to start but keep with it. Start by a railing or something you can use ONE HAND to hold yourself up with. Pedal along the railing a bit to get a feel of the way the wheel moves under you. Start pedalling away from the railing as soon as you can. Think of it like you are falling forward and then pedal the wheel under you.

unicyclist.com is a great source of info.

Have fun!