Note to New Members ×

Has anyone ridden a Donek saber yet?

MUD

no, my point was the price point and making it clear there's existing options just that they are more expensive.

what BX boards do you own? I suspect they are not anything with the newer shapes unless it's one of the above I mentioned.

based on you saying you want a all mountain carver and not a race deck you's be a wantin' the razor not the saber if I read the donek website correctly.

since you want me to troll, here goes. unless you have a size 16 foot, a 31 CM waisted board would be next to impossible to ride on anything but pow.

in a size smaller boot than you I have a hard time with a 28 CM board if it's torsionally stiff, even with cateks and drivers. some overhang on softies is essential to maintain leverage. 28 or 29 I can see but 31 is out there and would require serious boots, bindings, rider and fine tuned flex unless you had gigantic feet and anything under a 14 I don't consider gigantic. that's where elan did something cool and eliminated some of that by having the sidecut straighten out near the tips. it supposedly makes the wide boards much more manageable.

there's a reason that the 29 cm width elan is widest stock board available, but seriously, get it built if it's possible and post about the ride.

Seriously, can anyone tell me how the ride of the Saber and Razor differ?

Check the third post. I'm going to hazard a guess that Sean Martin, Zoe Gillings, Mark Harris, and Mick Dierdorff are the only people that have ridden these boards. Sean's the only regular on this board.

They sound really interesting, they'll be a nice step between alpine and freestyle equipment. I certainly would have bought one when I was regularly riding soft boots.

Seriously, can anyone tell me how the ride of the Saber and Razor differ?

There are 3 major differences to the Saber BX shapes when compared to the Razor.

1. Decambering will make the board easier to manuever at low speeds or in a croud, smooth out the bumbs in rought terrain, reduce the tendancy to overload the nose, and feel less stable between the turns at higher speeds.

2. Large amounts of rubber in the board will make uneven choppy terrain easier to manage, but reduce the energy returned out of the turn.

3. Increased taper will increase the likelyhood that the board will easily exit the turn or want to end the turn as it crosses the fall line.

Other variations such as tail shape will affect the boards function when riding faky. The BX shapes also have a slightly softer waist compared to the overall flex than the razor does.

Hopefully this helps.

Sean, I'm SOLD.

I will be in contact in the next 2 weeks. I want.. wait... NEED a saber.

I thought it was a swoard, but I really think it will be the SABER that will suit my prowess best, and don't want to wait 3 months for SES to demo it, I want to be ripping on one @ ses and know it like the back of my hand.

oh and almost definately a 31 weist. :biggthump

Sean, I'm SOLD.

I will be in contact in the next 2 weeks. I want.. wait... NEED a saber.

I thought it was a swoard, but I really think it will be the SABER that will suit my prowess best, and don't want to wait 3 months for SES to demo it, I want to be ripping on one @ ses and know it like the back of my hand.

oh and almost definately a 31 weist. :biggthump

That 31 waist is the absolute limit. It will be, in large part, defined by the sidecut and length of the board. We'll have to see exactly how wide we can go once we begin looking at the rest of the specs.

That 31 waist is the absolute limit. It will be, in large part, defined by the sidecut and length of the board. We'll have to see exactly how wide we can go once we begin looking at the rest of the specs.

Sorry Sean,

My "possibly 31" got turned into the spec.... I should have been more clear and explained it would be more complicated than that.

I have faith in Donnek to make the first and the best ultrawide board possible :)

I stood on the floor and had a few boards and boots out. Something between 29.5 and 31 would work just fine. Its an extreme sport, so, go for it!

As the song says... "Take it; to the limit... one more timmmmeeeee" :biggthump

I will send you my rider specs and make adjustments :)

EDIT: If it can be done on a 31 I would perfer it, but we are limited by the machines we have and ofcourse width of materials.

I believe that Coiler and Prior, both, have similar product in metal technology. Coiler might be more hard boot orientated, but Prior's is definitelly geared towards soft boots.

I spoke to Bruce about making something like this on the chair last winter and he said he could do it, just not wide enough for my liking (i was looking for a 28cm waist). Palmer Crown is too narrow... Kessler's are like Colnagos - i'm too afraid of breaking it to really ride it...

BlueB - Which Prior board are you referring to? When I spoke to them last spring it was yeah we could build it, but we wont warranty it (i was asking for a metal core though) and the price was a touch dear for my cash flow...

Sean... let me see how the xmas bonus goes... two new boards already this year, a third one might find me divorced. Thanks for putting the effort into designing such deadly board. If you ever figure out how to make it metal for the EC ice, or have done enough modelling to explain why its a bad idea, let me know. (still - not stopping me from getting one at this point though.

I spoke to Bruce about making something like this on the chair last winter and he said he could do it, just not wide enough for my liking (i was looking for a 28cm waist). Palmer Crown is too narrow... Kessler's are like Colnagos - i'm too afraid of breaking it to really ride it...

BlueB - Which Prior board are you referring to? When I spoke to them last spring it was yeah we could build it, but we wont warranty it (i was asking for a metal core though) and the price was a touch dear for my cash flow...

Sean... let me see how the xmas bonus goes... two new boards already this year, a third one might find me divorced. Thanks for putting the effort into designing such deadly board. If you ever figure out how to make it metal for the EC ice, or have done enough modelling to explain why its a bad idea, let me know. (still - not stopping me from getting one at this point though.

The problem really comes down to a very large check I'd have to write in order to get thinner wider metal. Until I've run through most of the material I have in stock, I won't be making that purchase.

The problem really comes down to a very large check I'd have to write in order to get thinner wider metal. Until I've run through most of the material I have in stock, I won't be making that purchase.

Understood. And as noted - let me see what bike parts i've got in the garage for craigslist, what boards I can part with and how the xmas bonus goes...

That said - can we safely assume a metal version could be in the works once the old inventory runs out, or is it so specific or cost prohibitive that its out of the question?

I'm in line too!

I'd LOVE something like a kessler BX from north america

Understood. And as noted - let me see what bike parts i've got in the garage for craigslist, what boards I can part with and how the xmas bonus goes...

That said - can we safely assume a metal version could be in the works once the old inventory runs out, or is it so specific or cost prohibitive that its out of the question?

Amag's minimum orders are substantial. It could be a year or two before I run through all of the metal I have. I certainly hope it will be sooner.

Sean just for "conversation purposes", how would this board compare to the Donek sasquatch ?>

I had an old 1990 K2 "FAT BOB" and loved it to death in 2 seasons. THere was not much I couldnt do on it and I'm really chasing that board again for rideability and stability with a big weist on it, but want the technology of 2010 not 1990. I'm sure with all the new materials and changes and decambering and flattened leading edges, it would ride very powerfully and with ease. The fat bob was a bit too soft and noodle-ish for really laying it down on edge as it didnt hold as well as some the other Rossignols I had, so I switched my primary love of rides. K2 fell by the way side when I opted for a Burton Cannyon (and hated that board and promptly sold it for a K2 Nemesis) but rapidly realised I disliked Burton a lot more. The widest board I have is my K2 Nemesis right now, and its a sweet ride, but I need a bit more flex in the middle as its designed for a guy who weighs 100+ pounds more than me.

THis is my line of thinking if it clears any up a bit as to comparison.

Are you in need of wider metal for the Razor/Saber to make a 31? or were you referring to another board in said materials question?

Sean just for "conversation purposes", how would this board compare to the Donek sasquatch ?>

I had an old 1990 K2 "FAT BOB" and loved it to death in 2 seasons. THere was not much I couldnt do on it and I'm really chasing that board again for rideability and stability with a big weist on it, but want the technology of 2010 not 1990. I'm sure with all the new materials and changes and decambering and flattened leading edges, it would ride very powerfully and with ease. The fat bob was a bit too soft and noodle-ish for really laying it down on edge as it didnt hold as well as some the other Rossignols I had, so I switched my primary love of rides. K2 fell by the way side when I opted for a Burton Cannyon (and hated that board and promptly sold it for a K2 Nemesis) but rapidly realised I disliked Burton a lot more. The widest board I have is my K2 Nemesis right now, and its a sweet ride, but I need a bit more flex in the middle as its designed for a guy who weighs 100+ pounds more than me.

Are you in need of wider metal for the Razor/Saber to make a 31? or were you referring to another board in said materials question?

he specifically said the saber is not metal in a above post.

The sasquatch is quite a bit stiffer than the Fatbob was. I'm not sure what the sidecut was on the Fatbob either, but I have had a lot of customers go to a Sasquatch from the Fatbob.

I would need wider thinner metal to make a freeride board, unless I was to use partial width metal laminates. I have tried this a couple times with good results, but I have not pursued it in some time.

he specifically said the saber is not metal in a above post.

It was also brought up as a possible design by eajracing in a previous post. I was just looking for clarification as a metal version would be sweet!

Seriously, you are getting ANNOYING with your endless need to nit-pick all my posted replies. This sandbox is plenty big enough for all us to play nice as we are all on the same bandwagon trying to find what will work and there is no harm in asking questions.

These are not cups of coffee, its a half months salary purchase for us "poor peoplez" :freak3:.

Donek, thanks for reply. good to know :)

Sean:

Thank you for telling us the difference from designer's perspective.

I understand both board is design with softboot in mind.

However; do you see any disadventage riding them with hardboot?

Any pro/con is greatly apprecaited!!!

Thanks

David

I guess not. Insert retention on this construction is 20% less than a typical alpine construction. It could be even less depending on overall stiffness/core thickness. For a little extra I could probably swap an alpine core into it if you warn me when ordering.