Note to New Members ×

waterproof pants

ak_rider

I'm trying to find some snowboard, or ski, pants that are super waterproof. As much snow as we get up here, we also get a lot of rain, especially towards the bottom of the mountains. i'm looking for a pair of pants to keep me dry. price isn't too big of an issue, although if i'm dropping several hundred bucks, i would like a lifetime warranty. i'm not too picky, color is the last thing i'm concerned about. i would like vents, preferably mesh lined, i tend to get snow accumulating in my pants when i ride with non-lined vents open. also non-insulated, layering is much more practical up here. i've looked at some arcteryx stuff, i love the jacket i have by them, but have no experience with their pants, and don't want to drop $300 on something that doesn't meet my needs. any info, advice would be greatly appreciated. but no burton, even their AK stuff falls short in the conditions up here.

The Arcteryx goretex is on the money in terms of value- for snowboarding make sure you get the models with the SV or AR suffixes on them.

SV stands for "Severe" , and I think AR stands for "All round", these are the designations that Arcteryx puts on garments that expect to see a lot of abrasion and weathering.

The LT (lightweight) and MX (mixed use) garments are lighter and breathe more easily, but pants made with this designation won't stand up to extended wear and tear as an outer layer.

I have used Alpha SV and Theta SV pants for over 15 years- they stand up to 75-100 days of riding per season.

I worked several years as a fulltime snowboard supervisor/instructor at ski areas near Seattle, and I can honestly say I never got wet in Burton AK 3 layer pants even after being out for six hours in the rain and sitting in the puddles on the chair lift seats. Plus, the're designed to breathe from the inside to the outside, so if you're riding hard you won't get soaking wet from sweat as long as you have the appropriate layers underneath.

I whish I could say the same about the ski school's Gore-Tex jackets, which proves that some Gore-Tex products are better than others.

Boris is correct in his statement about ocean sailing foul weather gear.

Here in Vancouver the local ski hills can be maddeningly damp- like limited visibility, wet snow, high winds damp....no Gortex that I own can stand up to these types of conditions for 3-4 hours of continuous riding.

When it gets like that, I go straight to the foul weather gear in my closet, which in this case is a Patagonia Skanorak sea-kayaking jacket that is designed like a stripped down version of ocean sailing gear.

Another key to good moisture management in these damp environments is to make sure that your next to skin layer is GTG- I use everything from Patagonia Capilene to Icebreaker merino to make sure that what's next to my skin is wicking away to the outer layer of my clothing system.

Geo

Plus 1 on the Arcteryx, I have a few jackets and one set of the sidewinder pants. Work great, could use bigger pockets if you are a packrat like myself, on the upper end of the abrasion resistance for ski gear ( although they do and will wear if dragging knees/hips etc), I have yet to get wet via jacket or pants by Arcteryx in the same climate as Crucible and BlueB.

The past couple of seasons abrasion resistance has been my holy grail in gloves and pants,( I save my Arcteryx stuff for the nasty wet.)

A shooting buddy has steered me to this local company to look into

http://www.rubbersidedown.ca/inc/sdetail/569

for pants that might hold up for a much lower price, ( they also make a winter glove similar to my beloved and no longer made Icon Patrols)

havent made it out there to look at in real life but its on my to do list

D*

thanks for all the info. i think i might look into arcteryx a bit more. didn't know what the sv and all that stood for. i tend to be weary about general gore-tex labeling, since i too have been victim to the old ski school goretex jacket that does little more than filter the rain before it hits you. i'd be willing to go with sailing gear, but just from my experience with my kayaking stuff, after about a week of sweaty activity, i can be smelled before i can be seen. that stuff seems to hold odors pretty well.

the pants i end up buying will be put to the waterproofness test more than usual this season. damn el nino

I formerly lived in a (wet) resort for six years, and all my outerwear is goretex 3 layer, and I have NEVER been wet on the inside or too hot from sweating in all that time (100 days per year on the mountain)

When you're talking about Gore-tex, there's two distinct types, two layer and three layer.

Generally speaking, two layer is for the weekender, three layer is for the hardcore / resort resident. Two layer has a mesh liner, three layer is just a shell with a (usually) silver color on the inside.

I had / still have a set of of burton AK 3L bib pants that have well over 300 days on them, and I have to say they are an excellent product and have stood up very well. I have since replaced them with a pair of taiga 3L gore-tex XCR bibs that I'm very happy with so far.

What no one has mentioned yet is that regardless of what waterproof / breathable garment you choose, the big trick to keeping it waterproof and breathable is keeping it CLEAN. Use Nikwax detergent and wash in waterproofing solutions twice a season and you will be laughing.

Arctery'x is owned by salomon so as long as you don't mind giving them your money, go for it. There are tons of really good outerwear manufacturers out there that have 3L gore tex stuff at a very good value.

Sierra designs (my fave)

Marmot

Mountain equipment co-op

Farwest

Taiga works

later,

Dave R.