Note to New Members ×

Just wondering, has there been any Madd updates

Bobby Buggs

Originally posted by Helmut Karvlow

Bobby, what I get from Shred is by Oct. for sure. there have been alot of (issues) ie, no one liked the top sheet, ect. thats all I know. Shred knows, ask him. I will just wait because we will not see snow for some time.

If that's the case, then no worries about waiting just a little bit longer...

Originally posted by lonerider

too bad Mike for mike though as he is already seeing snow.

No worries... there is rarely good enough coverage at the Hood to ride new boards until at least Thanksgiving, if not the middle of December. I'll be riding my Axis on-psite and my old Incline on days w/ fresh snow until then. Was just up hiking near Mt Hood and while it looks *great* for September, there will be plenty of lava rocks to run over.

I'm thinking of gettin some turns in next weekend (or possibly Friday), anyone else interested?

Originally posted by Mike T

The optimist in me says I am going to have my Madd on my wall rack before Halloween.

I can't wait to see what a really good base grind and structure from Precision Tune looks like :)

$55 bucks for a stucture and edge hmmm they should of just charged another 50 in the first place because you know somebody is gonna get their deck without the tune option

and if you have ever ridden a board with no structure it sucks when its above 30 degrees

I guess what I am saying is I dont mind paying it but some will and may not ever realize the full potential of the board

do these boards get a grind at the factory to at least make sure they are flat?

Originally posted by bobdea

$55 bucks for a stucture and edge hmmm they should of just charged another 50 in the first place because you know somebody is gonna get their deck without the tune option

and if you have ever ridden a board with no structure it sucks when its above 30 degrees

I guess what I am saying is I dont mind paying it but some will and may not ever realize the full potential of the board

do these boards get a grind at the factory to at least make sure they are flat?

I think the point was that if you didn't trust "Madd" to do the structure and edge and wanted to have your own trusted tuner to do it instead, you could (and not pay for it twice).

I doubt someone would be that dumb to pay $500 on a board and then not bother to pay $50 it get it "ready" to ride. If they are, well they get what's coming to them... sometimes people way overboard in their efforts to save a buck and often end up wasting money in their pursuit of the thifty starving-artist-cool image (I think you know what I mean). Heh... $200 for bindings, $500 for a board, $200 for boots... it's hard to convince me that snowboarding isn't a luxury :)

Originally posted by D-Sub

again this comes up...my question is why would a company sell a board that wasnt "ready" to ride?

doesnt make sense!

Well from my past experience at working at snowboard factory, all boards are out ready to ride to the -MINIMUM-. As in thin wax, etc.

Originally posted by D-Sub

again this comes up...my question is why would a company sell a board that wasnt "ready" to ride?

doesnt make sense!

This at least make sense to me. The idea is that by "default" they sell it "VERY ready" to ride. However, there are severl people here who are tuning freaks and they might not be satisfied with the job that Madd might do and might do it themselves anyway (or have a trusted shop do it). If so, the $50 spent in the "default" option would be wasted because they have to pay to have it done again.

So... they provide the option of giving the boards "raw" and letting the owner choose what he/she wants to do with his board (tune it himself or give it to a favorite tuning guru) and letting the person spend $50 on the "tuner" of their choice (and not one Madd forces upon them).

It's like the difference between buying a stock Dell computer with the basic fixins or buying a cheaper no-frills Dell and adding in the "essentials" yourself.

I should clarify when I said "ready to ride"... I'm sure it comes with like a base grind and a wax. But alpine boarders being the crazy tune freaks that they are... there are higher standards to be met (base structure, progressive diamond edged bevel, high FC wax, etc).

On the flip side, my friend Blake has had the same board for the past 6 years and has never had it waxed or the edges sharpened (guess he's too used to getting free boards to borrow and ride). I guess you don't really need edges or a waxed base to ride backcountry power (which is pretty much all he does anymore). He actually rode down a few places on a snowskates he won in a halfpipe contest - he wasn't able to sell it on Ebay, so added straps made out of bungie cords and uses it in the backcountry. One of the best non-pro riders I know... but has his own "style" :D

Originally posted by lonerider

This at least make sense to me. The idea is that by "default" they sell it "VERY ready" to ride. However, there are severl people here who are tuning freaks and they might not be satisfied with the job that Madd might do and might do it themselves anyway (or have a trusted shop do it). If so, the $50 spent in the "default" option would be wasted because they have to pay to have it done again.

So... they provide the option of giving the boards "raw" and letting the owner choose what he/she wants to do with his board (tune it himself or give it to a favorite tuning guru) and letting the person spend $50 on the "tuner" of their choice (and not one Madd forces upon them).

It's like the difference between buying a stock Dell computer with the basic fixins or buying a cheaper no-frills Dell and adding in the "essentials" yourself.

I should clarify when I said "ready to ride"... I'm sure it comes with like a base grind and a wax. But alpine boarders being the crazy tune freaks that they are... there are higher standards to be met (base structure, progressive diamond edged bevel, high FC wax, etc).

On the flip side, my friend Blake has had the same board for the past 6 years and has never had it waxed or the edges sharpened (guess he's too used to getting free boards to borrow and ride). I guess you don't really need edges or a waxed base to ride backcountry power (which is pretty much all he does anymore). He actually rode down a few places on a snowskates he won in a halfpipe contest - he wasn't able to sell it on Ebay, so added straps made out of bungie cords and uses it in the backcountry. One of the best non-pro riders I know... but has his own "style" :D

I second that. I'm one of those riders who rides 5-7 days a year and I have my wax and edges done once (maybe twice) a year (and I only have one board). And with what I've read here, some people are tuning freaks who like a certain structure on their base, a certain angle to their edges and a certain wax applied a certain way, and they tune or have their board tuned every other day. So I think when a board comes out of the factory, it is good for a rider like myself, but it maybe not enough for someone else.

I know a Madd, with it's price and "character", is an advanced rider's board, some riders want a specific tune, other's think it's ok with just a plain wax after it's out of the factory.

Derf

The info I got from talking to Cheri last week is that they WILL come ready to ride - your basic factory tune.

I demand high performance out of my gear too, but I also think you can over-tune! I'm pretty amazed at the frequency some folks have base grinds done, change edge angles, etc. I'm all about maintaining a good tune without going overboard. Quality decks cost too much (at least for us family-guy types) - keep the material on 'em and enjoy 'em for as long as you can!

One of my favorite signatures from a BOL member is: "It's not the tune, your riding sucks" or something like that ;)

that most people unless they put allot of time and thought into the sport they have no clue who does a good or bad tune for example I used to tune at a shop and we did "race" tunes for actual racers

we used belts that were worn out and had no reason to touch anything but a rental ski

some of the racers would bring their own wax and thats what we would use but some of the guys in the shop would skip steps that these people were were paying for such as a hot scrape and so on

I have seen people crank the heat on the iron all the way up and fry the wax and probably the base as well

basicly what I am saying is the Madd people know their stuff and they should at least on this one aspect of the boards just take the initiative and just do it since it is such a important part of the final product

but I do like the idea of being given the option

its just that its like selling a new corvette with no tires and the guy who buys it puts the cheapest tires on it that walmart has on special guess what happens his ride is not what it could be

and with those boards if I produced them I would want only the best for the end user since so much work went into them in the first place

I for one will pay the $50 bucks its a good price for a premium tune

and I cant wait till I get on snow with my little beast