Note to New Members ×

Look what came out of my leg!!

Bullwings

So I finally got the hardware taken out of my leg.

A little bit of bragging and slightly informative at the same time too.

Since tib/fib fractures seem like a rather common place "serious" fracture for us, I figure I'd share a little bit with those of you who are currious. There's definitely been quite a few of this specific type of injury here at BOL since I've joined, and I'm sure countless more even before my joining, but I've only seen pictures right after the injury/surgery with x-rays etc. etc.

Anyway, after two years of having my hardware, I finally got it removed. A little hint for you future snappers, don't leave it in for so long - bone grew and fused into all the un-used screw holes, thus making it very difficult to remove. A 40 minute scheduled surgery turned into 2.5 hours. Anyway, enough talk, here's some photos.

2s1rrwy.jpg

Two of the four screws securing the rod in place.

1582vck.jpg

Rod and my leg.

17akc5.jpg

Another rod and leg picture.

2q3xi4m.jpg

One of the ends of the rod infused with my bone that had grown into it, making for a nice anchor and securing it in place - almost permanently.

So, that's that, i hope to never do this again. Removal was 4 weeks ago. I'm going through physical therapy again - I should make it in time for the '09-'10 season. Hopefully, the pics show up, otherwise, this thread is worthless, hehe. Anyway, everyone be careful out there, or you could find yourself with one of these in you, hehe.

Hey bullwings,

I have had a similar a similar break and am currently making appointments with the Doc. to have a plate taken off of my Fibular. ( because of pain) I was thinking about leaving the rod in the Tib. because it does not seam to bother me . What is you projected rehab? Crutches? snowboarding this December?

Thanks for the thread . Love to hear what your thoughts are.

I have two plates and nine screws in my left arm just above the wrist, totaled both bones and did nothing to the wrist, go figure. that was in '91 and it was suggested I not take them out. I am too busy to have my arm in a cast for 8 weeks again so I have never had them removed.

Did you experience any discomfort with changing barometric pressure? I always know when rain is coming. I have some discomfort when I am skinnier because there is less meat between the screws and my skin. It hurts like all h-e-double hockey sticks when I bang it so if you had any similar problems I can understand having it removed.

It looks like it would make a nice bottle opener or key rack. Is it stainless or Ti? Maybe Fin could make it into one of those HFP tie rods for you.....

6 screws and a plate in my ankle....the doctor told me 1 year was the earliest it could come out but unless it's really bothering me I should leave it in....since I can walk, swim, skate, ride a bike and even snowboard (though my legs were weak as noodles last year) I'm inclined to just leave it my only real pain is my new found weather sense and some occasional annoyance to cold

I have two plates and nine screws in my left arm just above the wrist, totaled both bones and did nothing to the wrist, go figure. that was in '91 and it was suggested I not take them out. I am too busy to have my arm in a cast for 8 weeks again so I have never had them removed.

Did you experience any discomfort with changing barometric pressure? I always know when rain is coming. I have some discomfort when I am skinnier because there is less meat between the screws and my skin. It hurts like all h-e-double hockey sticks when I bang it so if you had any similar problems I can understand having it removed.

I'm curious about this too - I have a titanium rod binding my clavicle together from a carving incident two seasons ago, and my doctor told me to just keep it in there. I'm not inclined to go under the knife to remove it for any reason, but It freaks me out to have this hunk of metal permanently built into my shoulder. Are there no dangers at all with having a pice of metal in your body for the duration of your lifetime?

I can't predict the weather or anything neat like that (bummer). That said, it should make for an interesting looking skeleton, should inter-galactic alien archeologists discover my remains in a heap of nuclear fallout in some distant post apocalyptic future.

S.S Dad - I had it removed because my doctor recommended it as a pre-caution. They're designed to stay in, and if they're not bothering you, you can keep it in there. The pre-caution part is that you don't want to break your leg (again) with hardware in it like that - major complications (it's not so bad with external hardware/plate that run along the surface of the bone, but this rod is encased in bone all around, essentially replacing the bone marrow)... I'm on crutches right now, expected recovery is 10-12 weeks. I'm on disability sucking up tax payer dollars (mine and the rest of the bankrupt state of California) - I'm a Lab tech so, I need my legs to do my job, not a desk jocky fortunately and unfortunately. The main problem is in my knee (they move your patela off to the side and re-drill a hole into your tibia and pull the rod out through your knee), i've lost a lot of range of motion and lots of muscle mass from not using the leg - my ankle is a bit tight too. Definitely snowboarding in December of '09, and probably skateboarding before that.

Terry - I'll be seeing you and the rest of the crew in December/January (bought my season pass in April while it was still cheap). I should have a Coiler ready to go by then too - can't wait to try out all this tit-anal stuff everyone has been talking about.

bjvircks - crappy 6+ year old camera, and shaky hands...

bigdyno - It's titanium. As for the hardware, not too much discomfort other than the screws sometimes when they hit tables or other stuff. Discomfort/pain was always kind of random. Running on asphalt, concrete side walks hurts. I also wasn't very good at sensing the rain like so many other people with hardware have said. I'll probably turn the screws into a key chain of some sort, or not - I'm lazy like that.

Bullwings,

Good call getting it removed. I broke my Femur snowboarding back in 92. Full rod and screws holding it together. Then about two years later I had a small crash that just irritated it and nothing else. But is scared the hell out of me as the doctor always warned me to take the rod out soon. Had it removed at the end of that season.

You are correct, the issue is not long term effects of material in the body but rather should you (god forbid) break the same leg you know have a bent piece of steel in it. Cannot be a good place to be.

FYI: never been an issue since and in no way has affected my carving. I still skid a heel side just the same ;) So you'll be back next season with no worries.

From the same accident (roadracing motorcycles) I blew my Aortic tricuspid valve in my heart and they had to go in and fix it. I would have asked for a five angle grind but the coma sort of prevented that. Because they worked on my heart, they had to wire my sternum back together. There are two loops of wire in my sternum, one broken, one intact. I only know this from some x-rays my chiropractor did a few years back.

These wires have never given me the hassles the plates in my arm have. I think because the wire is completely encased in bone now, I don't even know it's there. I can see why you would want the rod out of your leg (all of you poor, titanium hogging souls).

Bullwings,

Thanks for the reply, I'm seeing the Dr. next Monday to discuss all this . My problem is Fibula pain when running of an unexpected stomp (plate and 4 screws). i don't believe the Tibia is any source of the pain (I have the same rod setup), but your comment on rebreak scares the hell out of me. I just can't seem to act my age and get away from snowboarding or dirtbikes or just plain old stress relieving activities. My wife is horrified , and my son is faster than me.

Don't care for either scenarios. Hope you don't mind but I'll probably be asking more questions.

Thanks Again:cool:

After snapping my Tib/Fib in Jan. '06, I had a rod and 5 screws put in my left leg... After rehabbing it and getting back on my feet, I was told that my hardware was staying put since it doesn't bother me (except for that "just right" movement while playing sports or something once in a great while)... Since that's the case, I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie with this one... The doctor that oversaw my rehab is also one of the team Orthopedics for the Chicago Bears, so I'm inclined to trust his judgment on the subject :freak3:

I have wondered about what would happen if I went over the handlebars again though :eek:

I can't believe they let you keep the rod and screws!!! Hell Yeah!!

I had a plate and six screws and some wire in a semi shattered clavicle from a BMX incident... had it taken out cos' it hurt like all buggery..

(One screw was threaded into soft tissue so when I got a slap on the back it would basically stab the screw into my shoulder)

I never got to see the plate and hardware except through the x-rays...

Hope you heal up strong!!

Steve

I can't believe they let you keep the rod and screws!!! Hell Yeah!!

I think it's a law or something, otherwise you have to send it in for histopathology. Maybe it's just a rumor I heard.

But...it's pretty cool to be living now, they can put you back together again. Cyborgs!

After snapping my Tib/Fib in Jan. '06, I had a rod and 5 screws put in my left leg... After rehabbing it and getting back on my feet, I was told that my hardware was staying put since it doesn't bother me (except for that "just right" movement while playing sports or something once in a great while)... Since that's the case, I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie with this one... The doctor that oversaw my rehab is also one of the team Orthopedics for the Chicago Bears, so I'm inclined to trust his judgment on the subject :freak3:

I have wondered about what would happen if I went over the handlebars again though :eek:

I was told it would stay in unless there was complications. I am not anxious to have another surgery.

Unfortunately I may have to have the plate in my arm removed , it has caused increasing issues.

They removed a couple screws out of my leg to improve heeling a month into recovery, they gave me those

in a "Bio" bag. Cool hardware, self drilling, self threading screws with star heads.

I will definitely save it , maybe make a bola tie out of it? It is a "T" plate with seven screws.

I was told it would stay in unless there was complications. I am not anxious to have another surgery.

Unfortunately I may have to have the plate in my arm removed , it has caused increasing issues.

They removed a couple screws out of my leg to improve heeling a month into recovery, they gave me those

in a "Bio" bag. Cool hardware, self drilling, self threading screws with star heads.

I will definitely save it , maybe make a bola tie out of it? It is a "T" plate with seven screws.

Did they remove the lower screws? I had the exact same thing. They removed two screws from my ankle about a month and a half after the break. They also said it promotes better healing and allows the bone to slide with the rod and compress more, thus allowing the bone to fuse more readily at the fracture sites.

Sounds like we have the same set of screws too. I'm actually doing quite well now. I'm still going through PT, but it's a lot better. No more crutches, very slight limp, range of motion is about 85% or so. Muscle mass is still lacking though, and I'm working on a lot of agility and balancing exercises too. I'd say, around 8 week recovery easily for going back to work (except for the most physically demanding jobs). That said, i'm still enjoying disability. I'll probably be back to work in another 4 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Broke tib/fib of both legs at different times. Plate and screws for both. If you can, definitely have them taken out after a year. If not, you will have a super stiff plate connected to a much softer bone. Guess where your bone will break again if stressed just wrong? That's right, just above/below the plate. In my case the plates were both just below the boot cuff. They didn't bother me, but I did not want to risk it. I also got to keep the shiny hardware. I loved going under. It's the best sleep you'll ever have. Totally dead to the world no dreams, no nothing.

Bob K.

Broke tib/fib of both legs at different times. Plate and screws for both. If you can, definitely have them taken out after a year. If not, you will have a super stiff plate connected to a much softer bone. Guess where your bone will break again if stressed just wrong? That's right, just above/below the plate. In my case the plates were both just below the boot cuff. They didn't bother me, but I did not want to risk it. I also got to keep the shiny hardware. I loved going under. It's the best sleep you'll ever have. Totally dead to the world no dreams, no nothing.

Bob K.

I think the difference between removing a plate and a nail is substantially different. I may have the plate removed from my wrist if it continues to bother me, however, the 15 inche nail in my tib is quite another matter.

Neither fun. Like Bullwings, I have one of these.

post-198-141842284362_thumb.jpg