Note to New Members ×

topsheet show case

pow4ever

Hope every one is doing well in the summer.

I am usualy more a funtion over form kinda of guy but I will be getting my first custom coiler and are looking for some idea for top sheet. I guess the the kid in me that like cool sticker on my big wheel is still alive and kicking.

Is there a topsheet material that's more durable?

I don't mind going with a flat black topsheet if it's super durable.

If all the topsheet are pretty much the same in term of durability then I am thinking to get something more aesthetic pleasing.

Please indicated if you don't mind other borrowing/sharing your design or you perfer to remain uniqe. :) some said Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery.

We had couple nice threads on the same topic however due to forum issue that's not dispaly file attachment properly it render them much harder to show off. If you want send me the image via email. I will upload them and attach in the thread via img tag.

I guess I am not the only one; first google hit:

http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/1203083/

Seems like a cool website you can farm out your design.

I think there are couple people on bomber that also design topsheet.

I got couple questions for all those with custom topsheet:

Any thing you would done differently? ex graphic placment as part of the design might be hidden under the binding? attract too much attention?

How do you come up with a theme? I see the top sheet as an expression of one's hobby/passions/personal statement. I am having a tought time to come up with an idea. There are so many to choose from. How do you limitd to one?

Thanks

--

David

Going thru the same gyrations right now myself for my coiler being built. Couple links I found were originalsnowboardart.com, faceliftconcepts.com,H&H sign and supply for different color scheme/vinyls, etc...think I finally found my design. Simple but still have time to change my mind 10 more times

David,

I highly recommend going with a local BOL artist like Steve Fleck He has done boards for a lot of BOLer's. Here is my recent board he did last season

Topsheet designs can be sent to www.snowboardmaterials.com

You have to incorporate excess bleeding into the design image as well as a specific template size. Steve has epxerience with all this.

Here's a link to custom boards he's done

23uwjlv.jpg

Thanks all. Glad to see I am not the only one.

What are the spec of your coiler on order?

I am torn between the

Stubby/Chubbie/VSR

GeoffV's got the M-spec

I am suprise Jack's safari didn't show up yet :)

I meet you guys at the ECES 2008. You guys rip!!!

The alice top sheet have been save to my HD for a long time. Steve does amazing job.

One of my biggest problem is to come up with a theme.

I am thinking something from futurma: It's got metal in it :)

FM289~Bender-Posters.jpg

Greg:

I am with you man... that thought have cross my mind many time. Keep it simple. I am afraid what I would do if a brand new custom top sheet got nick at the lift line. I know it's just a snowboard; I probably won't result in physical violence however I think my day will be ruied when it does happen.

powdahbonz:

Good find man!!! Thanks for sharing. Please do keep us in the loop on what you decided.

Keep it coming guys!!!

David

VSR 173

13.5 average radius (Bruce's "medium" blend... I like the idea of ~15 but seemed overkill for east coast)

20cm wide

Built for 175lbs

Still debating if I want a regular or severely stubbed-off nose. :)

My other topsheet thoughts besides the black was Bruce's blue flame - which looked really cool in one picture I saw on here, although I couldn't find it last time I checked - or just black, but with a classic black-and-white shot of a beautiful, beautiful woman in a seductive post for between the bindings and tail. Which I think could be done very well and look gorgeous, not to mention appropriate. But of course if you steal my idea I will hunt you down and .... well, steal your board, actually. Beware! ;)

greg

Greg:

Soung like a great choice!! Any reason for going 173? The default is 168 I think. Bruce suggest me going to 173 cause I weight 220+lb.

Ace:

Did u ever tried the X4 in deep powder? I know you love that pointy thing :) I wonder how it perform in the deep stuff. It's not like we have to worry much about that :)

www.oldsnowboards.com:

thx for the link!!!

Steve is the man :biggthump

This topsheet has warped my fragile little mind. :1luvu:

101x660.jpeg

The GOODS

http://stephenfleck.carbonmade.com/

The MAN

http://stephenfleck.carbonmade.com/about/

Dude, my sites need your skill !!

Ha Brian you always find good info. Cool Steve finally has a site up and can show case his outstanding work.

I don't want anyone using my Suomi Helmet design, it's based on my helmet and I'll be using it for my next Coiler.

Greg:

Soung like a great choice!! Any reason for going 173? The default is 168 I think. Bruce suggest me going to 173 cause I weight 220+lb.

I think the default is whatever you want it to be; there's not really a "weight board size" with boarding, unless you're doing something genre-specific like BX courses or racing. It's all about the stiffness and flex. Bruce can make a 158 or 188 for you no matter if you're 160lbs or 250lbs. That's the beauty of Coiler! :)

My current ride is a 180 Virus WCR and I love it. Before that my favourites were some Prior 183/7s. Great when I was out West, but I've found even the Virus to be slightly largish for some of those narrower trails you accidentally run into on east coast mountains.

This 173 is just a little step down size-wise, but the sidecut radius is about the same as the Virus (which also has a blended radius). Hopefully that means I'll still be able to really open it up on big steep runs, but be a little more maneuverable when I hit the narrow stuff.

:cool:

greg

Last season I had a picture of the Husky Tower (or Calgary tower to the heathens) done for my topsheet. I chose it because it is a little piece of home that I get to look at any time I am out riding. It had the flame at the top which was introduced for the Olympics in '88, it burned while the games were on and now for things like Canada day. The shape of it works with the shape of the board and the bindings don't really block anything. There are pictures on the thread mentioned previously in this thread, once the picture issue gets sorted out you can check it out.

I have another Coiler on the way, I will keep the topsheet secret for now just to keep things interesting.

BTW, Sean Martin (Donek) offered to print topsheets last year, not sure if the offer still stands. My topsheet from snowboardmaterials.com took forever to be delivered and Lindsay is near impossible to get in touch with if you have any problems.

I designed this last year and got the topsheet through snowboardmaterials and got Bruce to make me a Coiler:

02Topsheet.jpg

Everything worked well and the board itself looks great. Well, it's scratched to hell now, but whatever - in the end it's just sporting equipment!

The deepest POW I have been in period has been 6" and I hadn't had my alpine revelation yet.

I will let you know.

It kills it in the slop.

Its just made for the east coast, period.

+1 for the diamond plate topsheet.

Thanks Ace!!!

Always stoke to hear how everyone love their board.

All I know is that 18cm waist suck in 7 feet of powder. Probably just because my own ability....

--

David

I think the default is whatever you want it to be; there's not really a "weight board size" with boarding, unless you're doing something genre-specific like BX courses or racing. It's all about the stiffness and flex. Bruce can make a 158 or 188 for you no matter if you're 160lbs or 250lbs. That's the beauty of Coiler! :)

My current ride is a 180 Virus WCR and I love it. Before that my favourites were some Prior 183/7s. Great when I was out West, but I've found even the Virus to be slightly largish for some of those narrower trails you accidentally run into on east coast mountains.

This 173 is just a little step down size-wise, but the sidecut radius is about the same as the Virus (which also has a blended radius). Hopefully that means I'll still be able to really open it up on big steep runs, but be a little more maneuverable when I hit the narrow stuff.

:cool:

greg

Thank you for the explaintion!!!

I went from Madd 168 BX to Donek 180 GS and the shorter length is much better for me on the East coast. It's crazy what 12 cm difference make...

on the other hand

On my soft setup I go between 169 and 161 and I don't feel as much differnce overall. There are definately differnence

shorter length: I can survie the bumps/tree better.

Longer length: a bit more stable at speed; more work to swing it around in bump/tree.

--

David

Last season I had a picture of the Husky Tower (or Calgary tower to the heathens) done for my topsheet. I chose it because it is a little piece of home that I get to look at any time I am out riding. It had the flame at the top which was introduced for the Olympics in '88, it burned while the games were on and now for things like Canada day. The shape of it works with the shape of the board and the bindings don't really block anything. There are pictures on the thread mentioned previously in this thread, once the picture issue gets sorted out you can check it out.

I have another Coiler on the way, I will keep the topsheet secret for now just to keep things interesting.

BTW, Sean Martin (Donek) offered to print topsheets last year, not sure if the offer still stands. My topsheet from snowboardmaterials.com took forever to be delivered and Lindsay is near impossible to get in touch with if you have any problems.

That's an excellent idea!!! Something from the home town.

Please do keep us posted on the secret topsheet when it's all said and done.

Thank you for the infomation on donek as a source of top sheet supplier.

--

David

I designed this last year and got the topsheet through snowboardmaterials and got Bruce to make me a Coiler:

02Topsheet.jpg

Everything worked well and the board itself looks great. Well, it's scratched to hell now, but whatever - in the end it's just sporting equipment!

Ken:

Nice design!!! That's my fear/concern. If it's just a snowboard then I won't give it a custom topsheet :) It meant a little bit more than just a piece of sporting equipment to me. I almost treat it like a sport car with custom paint job. A nice paint job is cool but is it worth the hassel to deal with parking lot ding. or lift line scratchs.

All my boards are all scratch to hell and back. Thank you for the reality check those are the type of feed back I am looking for. Positive or negative.

Thanks

--

David

How about for the graphics doing something totally untouched... like using architectural artwork from the art deco period or Frank Lloyd Wright's art glass windows. In art deco there are plenty of powerfull highly stylized images and statues of men, women. Lots of geometric patterns, etc. Wright's art glass has so many themes and variations. I see so much board art that is cool for about 15 minutes and then it blends into the memories of all the other boards. How about an Escher-esque scene of carving a slope that leads into itself, so lifts would never be required?

I'm just blabbering. I'm at home killing time on a 'do it yourself' stakeout. Sheriff's dispatch # on speed-dial.

Ken:

Nice design!!! That's my fear/concern. If it's just a snowboard then I won't give it a custom topsheet :) It meant a little bit more than just a piece of sporting equipment to me. I almost treat it like a sport car with custom paint job. A nice paint job is cool but is it worth the hassel to deal with parking lot ding. or lift line scratchs.

All my boards are all scratch to hell and back. Thank you for the reality check those are the type of feed back I am looking for. Positive or negative.

Thanks

--

David

You just have to able to let it go :) Snowboards are meant to be used, and when they get used they get scratched and dinged from rocks and torn up by your own foot if you kick snow off of it or while you're skating with a foot out or whatever, and it's happier being used than it is being perfectly preserved on the wall somewhere.

At least that's what Toy Story 2 taught me :D

In any case, you're going to ride the board for a while, and if you're like me, eventually decide you want a different board, or it gets worn out, and it'll go into semi-retirement, at which point you can use that Billy Mays scratch filler on it and frame it and put it on the wall and put a new design on a new board :)

had a friend draw up a sketch and i scanned it and colored it in.

might get someone to detail it and make it look SPIFFY! :biggthump

going on my christmas-present-to-myself,

Coiler Schtubby X2 171 x 21.5 13.2m

Already talked to Bruce and the snowboardmaterials.com person for the future events.

post-7736-141842283858_thumb.jpg