Note to New Members ×

Dumb, Quick, Question

boarderboy

Is there a cheap, effective, easily obtainable lube and/or a clean & lube combination that 'those in the know' can recommend for ABEC board bearings?

Thanks

BB

The cheap cleaner is anhydrous isopropyl alcohol - If you don't already have some, you can buy much more than a lifetime's supply for a few bucks at a hardware/paint store.

Cheap lube is another matter - Depends on your definition of "cheap" and how often you grease your bearings. I use Bones Speed Cream, under $5 for a 1/2 ounce bottle. You only need 3 drops per bearing so that 1/2oz goes a pretty long way, but there are probably cheaper options.

...on jetkin's isopropyl alcohol reccomendation. I also keep some canned air handy to dry out the bearings especially inside the seals. It just makes the whole cleaning regimen go a little faster. Oh, and go easy on the Speed Cream. You only need a little bit. Otherwise, the excess attracts micro-dirt faster than Rosie O'Donnell going to a restaurant buffet.

Mark

Thanks, Mark.

Will do all the above.

Back to you quick on other topics.

A grand, spring Cold Front has given us weather t' die for' recently. Flip flops and a warm hoodie to bring in the morning paper.

Great Stuff!

BB

This is a routine for oiled race bearings:

1) Remove both seals, or if shielded permanently remove inside shield.

2) Blow off excess dirt on outside shield with compressed air.

3) Wash bearings in carb cleaner in a "shake bottle" (I use a Pace salsa jar with a 5/16 bolt thru the cap with o-ring seals and washers to keep it in place).

4) Clean out jar and dry

5) Wash bearings in 91% isopropyl alcohol in shake bottle - removes oils etc. from cleaning and prepares metal/ceramic to accept lube

6) Completely dry the bearings, and let cool if using a hair dryer

7) Lube with 2-3 drops "Met-Ol" ($7 at www.sk8kings.com). Sewing machine high-speed bearing oil works extremely well too!

WC - Will try to build the salsa cleaner this weekend. Since it's probably cheaper, will also look up the hi-speed sewing machine oil.

Good luck on 'the circuit' this year. You, or anyone else heard from the UNC-Greesnboro student (one of Gilmour's proteges, I think) who was gonna skate professionally this summer but hurt himself boarding @ Sunday River?

Tex, will definitely get some of the spray for quick lubes and for several bike chains that we seem to be accumulating. :):)

cheers

BB

This is a routine for oiled race bearings:

1) Remove both seals, or if shielded permanently remove inside shield.

2) Blow off excess dirt on outside shield with compressed air.

3) Wash bearings in carb cleaner in a "shake bottle" (I use a Pace salsa jar with a 5/16 bolt thru the cap with o-ring seals and washers to keep it in place).

4) Clean out jar and dry

5) Wash bearings in 91% isopropyl alcohol in shake bottle - removes oils etc. from cleaning and prepares metal/ceramic to accept lube

6) Completely dry the bearings, and let cool if using a hair dryer

7) Lube with 2-3 drops "Met-Ol" ($7 at www.sk8kings.com). Sewing machine high-speed bearing oil works extremely well too!

or you could do what I do

1) remove wheel from truck,

2) remove bearings from wheel, place in jar or isopropyl alcohol for rainy day, dead of winter and your ankle is broken so you can't go snowboarding time to do the above steps

3) Replace bearings with new ones (or bearings you have done above cleaning to)

4) Put wheel back on truck

5) repeat as necessary

for what its worth I buy bearings in Bulk from different places (MHS, VXB, Pleasure Tools etc) I have 11 sets (yes 88 bearings) of clean ready to go bearings in my toolbox. When I can hear or feel that a bearing is problem I follow the steps above...my quiver now stands at 8 boards but I am expecting the UPS man to arrive with a board (and a Split) shortly

I chatted with Karl a few days ago, I know he's coming how to Needham soon and he's planning on staging a race when he does....I am hoping I can attend

or you could do what I do

1) remove wheel from truck,

2) remove bearings from wheel, place in jar or isopropyl alcohol for rainy day, dead of winter and your ankle is broken so you can't go snowboarding time to do the above steps

3) Replace bearings with new ones (or bearings you have done above cleaning to)

4) Put wheel back on truck

5) repeat as necessary

for what its worth I buy bearings in Bulk from different places (MHS, VXB, Pleasure Tools etc) I have 11 sets (yes 88 bearings) of clean ready to go bearings in my toolbox. When I can hear or feel that a bearing is problem I follow the steps above...my quiver now stands at 8 boards but I am expecting the UPS man to arrive with a board (and a Split) shortly

I chatted with Karl a few days ago, I know he's coming how to Needham soon and he's planning on staging a race when he does....I am hoping I can attend

LOL, that's quite similar to what I do with bicycle chains.