Note to New Members ×

My Home Skatepark

utahcarver

I wanted to show the community what I get to ride during the off-season. I live .25 miles from this sanctuary and I ride my bike to it. It is a flow-park with 'forever' lines in it. There are some street elements but, the focus is on carving and linking lines. It requires new and frequently cleaned bearings and hard wheels (101a or SPF).

(EDIT: I forgot to add that this is a Site Design Group park http://www.sitedesigngroup.com; the park will be 8 years old this August. Oh, and no bikes allowed, though it gets poached from time to time. This park has a sister park in Oakley, Utah, just outside of Park City.)

Mark

post-101-141842281571_thumb.jpg

post-101-141842281574_thumb.jpg

post-101-141842281576_thumb.jpg

I just got back from hitting this park in Cairns.

It has the one main bowl shown in the vid, a smaller bowl and is surrounded by a big street plaza. This was a very nice park for KarverKai and I to ride. Especially since he is only six and I am just relearning to skate. I started getting a pretty good carving lines in the big bowl near the end of the trip.

Ink

Dave Smellie at the Logan skatepark!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHWkzxs3ew&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHWkzxs3ew&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

what exactly is there to do in K town? that's the kind of park a have dreams of....on a positive note I hit my first frontside grinds since I broke my ankle 7 months ago....I've been doing backsides for nearly 2 months but for some reason I haven't been able to grind frontside until today, must have been because I was all alone in the park with no one to see it but it did feel nice to get that monkey off my back

I live .25 miles from this sanctuary and I ride my bike to it. It is a flow-park with 'forever' lines in it. Mark

That first pic with the snow peaks in the background is pure minimalist sculpture!

'Nuf to make a po boy cry in his grits n gravy!

'Frog Strangler' storms in the 'Pouch last night with 'twisters just to the south and east. Another Tornado Watch here til 4 AM tomorrow morning.

"Hot time, Summer in the City!!"

BB

Grits every morning, my man! Southern born and bred, mountain west live to shred! I love hash browns and I love a good Denver omelette. But, there is no substitute for strong coffee, country sausage, grits and eggs for breakfast.

That said, that range is called the Wellsvilles. Tallest mountains in the world (height in relation to base). Plenty of rattlesnakes in them spires, too. I once was taken to an old silver mine in them. Elk, deer, moose, all are hunted in those majestic peaks. The Spanish knew of the wealth in them (Wellsvilles) when they were mining gold in the Uintah Range to the southeast in the 1500's.

Oh, and the skatepark ain't half bad either. Just wait until I show you the picture of the back bowl!

Mark

there is no substitute for strong coffee, country sausage, grits and eggs for breakfast.

Send another breathtaking shot back-dropped by the Wellsvilles, that is??!!

As for the menu - good sir - and believe me I mean this in the most positive of ways - based on your obvious grits obsession, and on your "breakthrough" carving year, this 'city hick' could never hope to be half the 'Rippin Redneck' you are today!

(Apologies to MelloYello for the "Ripppin" rip-off, but he seems to disappear from the Forum when the last White Ribbon of Death melts its way into the nearest trout stream. We'll probably next hear from him in early November when someone brags about 'first tracks of the season.' "Why I've been carvin' for a couple weeks now...," he'll say.

This happens, almost invariably, when feisty little Cattaloochie or Appalachian fires up their guns on an early, sub-freezing night to claim "first in the Southeast!" or even "first on the East Coast" honors...

But back to food - I much prefer my grits in "South Car'lina Ice Cream". This is a Charleston concoction that involves the aforementioned grits, cheese, a smidgen of garlic, and lots of Low Country shrimp.

In addition, I can probably rustle up a black pot recipe for Brunswick Stew. Be forewarned, any genuine stew has to have squirrel meat in it (preferably gray squirrel, you know.)

As for the brigands of old who braved freezing peaks and copious rattlers, have you ever noticed that wherever the Spanish gold (and other) passions led them, including Spain, there's a Sierra Nevada? Those guys really got around!

cheers and thanks

BB

Send another breathtaking shot back-dropped by the Wellsvilles, that is??!!

As for the menu - good sir - and believe me I mean this in the most positive of ways - based on your obvious grits obsession, and on your "breakthrough" carving year, this 'city hick' could never hope to be half the 'Rippin Redneck' you are today!

(Apologies to MelloYello for the "Ripppin" rip-off, but he seems to disappear from the Forum when the last White Ribbon of Death melts its way into the nearest trout stream. We'll probably next hear from him in early November when someone brags about 'first tracks of the season.' "Why I've been carvin' for a couple weeks now...," he'll say.

This happens, almost inevitably, when feisty little Cattaloochie or Appalachian fires up their guns on an early, sub-freezing night to claim "first in the Southeast!" of even "first on the East Coast" honors...

But back to food - I much prefer my grits in "South Car'lina Ice Cream". This is a Charleston concoction that involves the aforementioned grits, cheese, a smidgen of garlic, and lots of Low Country shrimp.

In addition, I can probably rustle up a black pot recipe for Brunswick Stew. Be forewarned, any genuine stew has to have squirrel meat in it (preferably gray squirrel, you know.)

As for the brigands of old who braved freezing peaks and copious rattlers, have you ever noticed that wherever the Spanish gold (and other) passions led them, including Spain, there's a Sierra Nevada? Those guys really got around!

cheers and thanks

BB

Wow! A lot to cover here. First, as to my new-found prowess at carving, I'm sure I've still got a long way to go before I can hang with the big boys here.

As to your SC Ice Cream recipe, I have a variation on this theme that I use: shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and a splash of Tabasco. Is there anything better than cheesy shrimp grits? On top of this bed of flavor I put a deep-fried pork chop with some sausage gravy. MMMMM-mmmmm, good.

Brunswick Stew: now you're making me homesick, cousin. I can remember hunting gray squirrels and puttin' em the pot, that was many years ago. Makes me think of the weekend I graduated from high school (1977) and went to a bar in Jacksonville, Florida on Atlantic Blvd. There was a band playing that night as I sat and ate Brunswick stew, fries, cornbread and a cold beer. Let's see, their name was Molly Hatchet with Big Danny Joe Brown as the lead singer. Ahh, memories.

The Sierra Nevada I'm most familiar with is the IPA and the Pale Ale that flies out of the liquor store I work at. That said, you are correct about the Spanish. It may be of small note to know that Mel Fisher, the man who found the wreck of the Atocha, died in the Uintah mountains in Utah. Ol Mel knew where the Atocha was because of the time he spent here in Utah years before. There is so much history of America that is not taught in school that is 20 times more interesting than the pablum that gets handed out in the government schools.

Meanwhile, aren't we supposed to be talking skateparks? :eek:

Regards,

Mark

Meanwhile, aren't we supposed to be talking skateparks? :eek:

I'm pretty sure Raleigh's new Marsh Creek Park has just opened. "Locals" very unhappy 'cause you have to wear pads and helmet. No BMX'ing, as far as I can tell. Place was designed by 'Pillar Associates' of Tempe, Arizona.

Gonna try to visit either early AM or evening for some contour shadowing. Never posted photos online before, so this'll be an adventure in itself. (Relatively sure you'll see no snow-capped peaks in the background...)

By the way, that sounds like quite a senior weekend rite of passage. Bet the Jacksonville Bar didn't stock Sierra Nevada. That stuff's one of my favorites. Must be the pure, mountain spring water...

BB

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not as lucky as Mark. I think "My" local park is .5 miles from my home...

Sadly, I've only ridden it once. I rode ramps in the early 90's, but have never spent a lot of time on concrete (I suck...) It's easier to grab the longboard or one of the slalom boards and cruise around by the house, or make the dog pull me around...

My son just got a new video game where one of the characters rides a "board" and boardslides all over the place. He wants to learn to boardslide / grind now. Maybe I'll spend more time at the park someday.

post-114-141842282715_thumb.jpg

post-114-141842282717_thumb.jpg

post-114-141842282719_thumb.jpg

Curt,

Is that the Herriman (sp?) park? That's a nice park. The cloverleaf is great with the oververt bowl section. Not that I've been in it. Kinda out of the way from SLC and it's environs. I noticed the neighborhood is kinda where all of the Richie Riches' liv....uh, ummmm, I mean where great hardbooters live and raise their families.

Thanks for the pics.

Mark

Curt,

Is that the Herriman (sp?) park? That's a nice park. The cloverleaf is great with the oververt bowl section. Not that I've been in it. Kinda out of the way from SLC and it's environs. I noticed the neighborhood is kinda where all of the Richie Riches' liv....uh, ummmm, I mean where great hardbooters live and raise their families.

Thanks for the pics.

Mark

Yup, that's Herriman. Where all the Richie Rich Rednecks live.. :eplus2:

You should get together with the Northern-Utah / Southern-Idaho slalom contingent and come down and check it out. We could skate some cones AND the park. You could teach me how to skate that cloverleaf without killing myself, I could show you how to knock down slalom cones....

you have bowls like that and you don't skate them??????? I think i'd wear out wheels playing in that place, especially that ditch area

I wish I had time to wear out wheels playing there...

Work, family, slalom cones. (I ache a lot less after knocking down slalom cones for an hour than I do after crashing in those bowls for an hour...) Life just seems to get in the way.

The ditch section is pretty cool though. You don't see that very often in modern skateparks...

I wish I had time to wear out wheels playing there...

Work, family, slalom cones. (I ache a lot less after knocking down slalom cones for an hour than I do after crashing in those bowls for an hour...) Life just seems to get in the way.

The ditch section is pretty cool though. You don't see that very often in modern skateparks...

I spread my skating out...... cones, Dh, Cruising, park, freestyle, it just depends on what I'm in the mood for. As for aching park is less abusive to my body than cones but then I have good kneepads and don't fall too often

I spread my skating out...... cones, Dh, Cruising, park, freestyle, it just depends on what I'm in the mood for. As for aching park is less abusive to my body than cones but then I have good kneepads and don't fall too often

I spread my skating out too, it gets "spread" between: guitar lessons, violin lessons, soccer practice, softball practice, track practice, basketball practice, gymnastics, soccer games, softball games, track meets, baskteball games... X3 groms. I'm pretty lucky when I get to skate at all, let alone get enough time to head to the park, gear up, and practice knee-slides in the bowl... :D

I spread my skating out too, it gets "spread" between: guitar lessons, violin lessons, soccer practice, softball practice, track practice, basketball practice, gymnastics, soccer games, softball games, track meets, baskteball games... X3 groms. I'm pretty lucky when I get to skate at all, let alone get enough time to head to the park, gear up, and practice knee-slides in the bowl... :D

OMG, Curt, you're a DAD!!!! So that's why you like to hang out with Andrew and I. :) It's like being an adoptive parent! I'm sure you are a great dad and your children look up to you and ask, "why does he wear plastic boots?".

I'd love to be a conehead. I'll be in touch with Kevin and Bob and hopefully head down to your neck of the woods soon. Meanwhile, today was Go Skateboarding Day and I did!!!!

How many other fathers went skateboarding today?

BTW, I'm 50 and I skateboarded almost all day. That's why God invented ibuprofen, ice packs, and beer.

Mark

Meanwhile, today was Go Skateboarding Day and I did!!!!

How many other fathers went skateboarding today?

Skateboarding wasn't part of the plan, but we went to a park near the skatepark, and I talked to kids into heading over for a few minutes, and then the younger ones didn't want to leave. :biggthump

I didn't skate a whole lot - cruised around a little with my son who's just getting into the popsicle-stick skating thing...

My 4YO was killing it on her princess scooter though - I spent most of the time chasing her around, giggling to myself 'cause she was so into it....

I'd love to be a conehead. I'll be in touch with Kevin and Bob and hopefully head down to your neck of the woods soon.

You're welcome anytime. Martin is back in town, but we haven't had a chance to get the whole "conehead" group together in between the rain storms. (When did UT turn into Seatle? :( ) I need to head up there and check out Bob's secret hill at some point...