Note to New Members ×

My Home Skatepark

utahcarver

So, after some twisting of arms and legs I finally got someone who'd take my picture while I was skating at my home park. Do you know how hard it is to find a local skater kid to take a pic? Sure, anyone can take a snapshot with a phone or a digital camera. But, make it look good so that it doesn't look like a tourist (me) fell into the skatepark?

2078bh4.jpg25ss7dh.jpg1zxgex.jpg

Summer fun on a Saturday afternoon in northern Utah.

Mark

Nice "Flowage" Mark!!! Well done.

I wish! Tear it up Dude!!

You are on the money with photos too. Video , same thing. Everyone seems to think it is so easy. However so few do it well enough to want to watch it.

Steady hand and timing are aquired over years not minutes. Give the photog a big "Thank You" from us. :biggthump

You know, what is disconcerting to me, at times, is that I seem to be fading as a skater while at the same time growing as a snowboarder and hardbooter. I feel stagnant as a skater and unwilling to push my limits on concrete, asphalt and ramps. I cannot afford to get hurt or injured in a major medical way. The bumps, bruises, scrapes, and 'dammit's' that I get just kicking around the park are acceptable (plus, I usually get an 'owie' kiss out of it and a cold suds from the missus).

But then, I'm willing to fly around the winter groomed slopes at what, 25-35mph, on a snowboard while wearing feet tourniquets (aka hard-boots)? Yet, like last season, I keep learning and being turned on by our blissful winter sport. I made a lot of improvement in my riding last season. I might even be able to keep up with Skully now.

I'm at odds with this incongruity. What's wrong with me?

Where's Oprah when I need her? Dr. Phil? Help!

Mark

You know, what is disconcerting to me, at times, is that I seem to be fading as a skater while at the same time growing as a snowboarder and hardbooter. I feel stagnant as a skater and unwilling to push my limits on concrete, asphalt and ramps. I cannot afford to get hurt or injured in a major medical way. The bumps, bruises, scrapes, and 'dammit's' that I get just kicking around the park are acceptable (plus, I usually get an 'owie' kiss out of it and a cold suds from the missus).

But then, I'm willing to fly around the winter groomed slopes at what, 25-35mph, on a snowboard while wearing feet tourniquets (aka hard-boots)? Yet, like last season, I keep learning and being turned on by our blissful winter sport. I made a lot of improvement in my riding last season. I might even be able to keep up with Skully now.

Where's Oprah when I need her? Dr. Phil? Help!

Mark

Mark, just roll with it and enjoy your abilities. Follow the "Little Voice" and enjoy the flow while you can.

Not that I benefit, but check out some of our Oregon skate parks.

I might even be able to keep up with Skully now.

Methinks you need to set your goals a bit higher than that! ;)

You know, what is disconcerting to me, at times, is that I seem to be fading as a skater while at the same time growing as a snowboarder and hardbooter........

For me the answer to this one is easy: Concrete, asphault and ramps are much less forgiving on the old bones than snow is...

(That tree I had an encounter with two seasons ago was much less forgiving than the snow though... Oh well, that's what body armour is for, right?)

25z6nw7.jpg

ejg0ow.jpg

This is for NateW; I think he's the one who asked for a bigger image of my current avatar. I tried to e-mail him the pic but it came back as undeliverable (this was a while ago). I hope that some of the pics I post here will provide a continuum to illustrate my point above about my skating skills diminishing over time. If I tried this laid out bert now, I'd probably tear my right rotator cuff. I'm about 30 pounds heavier and not as young now as in this pic.

The 2nd pic is from the same period. My buddy made a ramp out of 4 x 8 plywood and balanced it against his dad's Toyota truck. No cope, little support, white trash skating at it's best during a January drought for snow in Utah. I think I had made 50 dollars that month. Enough to get us gas for a trip to Snowbasin, beers, and some cheap burgers somewhere.

The board I'm riding was made in shop class by a buddy who I once dated his sister. The trucks: Tracker. Wheels: Classic Rat Bones. No risers. I'm sure some smoke was involved in this somehow.

Mark

• 1 month later...

hi UTAHCARVER

always nice to see an old school bert. nowadays when the young kids get to the top they just kickturn—how boring!

here’s a pic of my homepark--the new west skatepark (located about a half hour drive from the vancouver airport in case you ever are in the area.):

IMG-1.jpg

it’s an old school style park with 2 big mellow bowls, continuously flowing lines and well thought out transitions. drop in or push off once and pump for hours without having to put your foot down again until you are ready to go home.

in the photo i’m doing a bert on one of my old 29 inch homemade cutaway pool boards. the trucks are 130 mm wide indy clones and the wheels are relatively modern abec11 flashbacks in 88a duro (that was the softest duro i could use and still maintain enough speed to reach the lip.) the photo was taken by my friend TOBY DONALDSON in july of 2004. I was 47 years old at the time of the photo—hence the decrepit riding form and excessive body armour. gotta keep the old bones intact!

Heh, I'm only 26, and I can only wish I rode half has good as you guys look in those pics. Much respect to you "old" guys making me look bad - really really bad (that's bad as in bad, like, not good - haha)...

utahcarver, I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm unwilling to take as much risk on the concrete and asphalt.

On the snow, it's a different story, and I had much much worse snowboarding injuries compared to my relatively short on/off 1.5 year longboarding hobby.

utahcarver, I'm in the same boat as you.

I'm unwilling to take as much risk on the concrete and asphalt.

On the snow, it's a different story, and I had much much worse snowboarding injuries compared to my relatively short on/off 1.5 year longboarding hobby.

Eh I've been pretty lucky skating over the last decade or so but I have figured out where the line is and how to slowly push it further and further back. Believe me when I say that I am as comfortable carving turns on asphalt as I am on snow and many times more so because there is so much more control on asphalt. I'm not likely to to be setting World Speed records nor am I gonna be doing Mctwists but low 40s, drifts, smithgrinds and Inverts are achievable goals

eeee.jpg

Eh I've been pretty lucky skating over the last decade or so but I have figured out where the line is and how to slowly push it further and further back. Believe me when I say that I am as comfortable carving turns on asphalt as I am on snow and many times more so because there is so much more control on asphalt. I'm not likely to to be setting World Speed records nor am I gonna be doing Mctwists but low 40s, drifts, smithgrinds and Inverts are achievable goals

eeee.jpg

It's nice to read and hear of fellow carvers pushing limits in other mediums. Over the years, your posts have indicated your strengths in skating in both park and downhill and building and design. That's a great shot of you toe-siding a very stylish drop-knee through the boneyard! This will be a great wall-paper shot for several weeks to come!

Mark