Note to New Members ×

Cant Angle Question

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the cant angles on TD2s and TD3s. I've noticed that many of the TD2s and 3s I've seen on Bomber have the cants pointing towards eachother (as the pic below demonstrates. Thanks pokkis :)).

attachment.php?attachmentid=17273&stc=1&d=1241173643

My question is this:

Has anyone played around with the angles on their cants to see what feels better/more natural? Right now, I have my cants set at 75* on the front, and 80* on the rear.

001-2.jpg

I'm guessing most of you just leave them both at 90*?

Thanks for lookin',

Gus

I find pure toe and heel lift to be most comfortable. So the angle of the cant is the same as the angle of the binding. Sounds silly, but doing that really seemed to help me break through on the board.

Mid-Late in the season (end of Feb) I got on a board that I'd set up with inward cant and it felt terrible and I couldn't ride it at all. Once the bindings were set up with pure lift I was off to the races.

it's all a matter of how your body is built and where you are comfortable. I've seen people (some of them extremely talented carvers) with pure toe/heel, higher in front than back, and even one or two with outward cant. whatever works for you - experiment a bit. (mine are right at 90 degrees, but with my normal stance, this is pretty close to full heel/toe.) I've tried a dozen alternatives and always come back to this. anything else and I'm either off balance or getting knee pain.

Of course. The default starting position should be cant discs aligned with your binding angles for toe lift on the front foot and heel lift on the back foot, and no cant. Try that first and experiment from there.

Jack, in your first article, you mention "If you want to take it one step further, you can add a slight outward cant to the back foot - outward meaning towards the toeside edge. But, before you start messing with cants, make sure your bindings are angled properly." I bought a pair of Catek F2 Race Ti bindings and plan to mount them with front toe lift and rear heel lift. My right (rear) knee has had three surgeries and has a built-in inward cant of 5.5 degrees. Would it make sense to just go ahead and try some outward cant on the rear foot?

I'm not really comfortable answering that Pat. If I understand your situation I want to say you might actually be better served by inward cant, but I'm not going to say that for certain because I'm not sure I understand your knee issue. I think you're just going to have to figure it out empirically.

Here are a couple shots showing the difference in my knees.

260btip.jpg2vtqhpg.jpg

I subsequently bought Lange Crazy Blue World Cup ski boots and we planed the bottom of the right one to bring my knee back to the proper position. Note: The boot won't stand up by itself! It has made a tremendous difference in alleviating the A-framing problem I previously had in ski racing.

Contrast the before and after shots below. The A-frame was very evident in the Orange Technica Icons but less so on the Langes (and on a much tougher course).

ng6ctd.jpgk0ldl5.jpg

I just have to think that canting the rear (right knee) a little outward might accomplish some good like it did for my ski racing. I can start with them uncanted and then experiment.

I don't know if you can tell anything from this photo but it was shot last month at Steamboat - the day before I broke my ankle in a ski race.

2vminfq.jpg