Note to New Members ×

Pisssed? Furrious?

nekdut

would you say the slower edge to edge is partly due to the wider waist going to a 19 cm waist opposed to the 17.7 cm waist? I love that quick edge to edge. I'm blown after riding my Madd for 3-4 hours but I thought that was just cause I'm "husky" and old.

Bruce, is it possible to soften up the board in the middle to some degree, and if I'm reading the review correctly, stiffen up the nose some?

How different are the SCR #'s on the Angrry vs the orig 58, the Angrry tested is 9m SCR (average?) and the 158 Madd is 11m average I think...?

Thanks guys.

K

Kurt,

I'm not sure if is just the waist width or what. I ran slightly lower angles on the Angrry than the classic Madd. The nose geometry/sidecut might have something to do with it too. With high forward loaded camber and a tighter sidecut on the nose, the Madd hooks up hard and fast on initiation, but probably gives up some versatility in variable/softer snow. The Angrry has some of the decamber that we have come to love in the Stub, but that may have toned down the initial hookup.

Bruce had this to say about the nose/mid stiffness: "The flex pattern is stiffer in the mid on the Angrry. If metal boards get too soft in the mid I find they lose even more energy as the metal does not have the pop of a glass carbon construction ... I guess the original had a touch more sidecut in the nose but its really the materials and flex pattern that are making a more noticeable difference. I am guessing the softer mid really allows for some overbending on the original which allows for the tighter turns. If I was to do that with the metal, more carbon would need to be installed to get the energy but I still feel it wouldn't be as poppy as the original."

He asked me to do a base to base edge/sidecut comparison to see if I can visually tell if there is a noticeable difference between the two. In an earlier email, he did have this to say this about the shape: "The sidecut on the 58 is the real unique thing about it as it is pretty similar to the new variable stuff going on now right up to WC levels. They were way ahead with that one." Who knows what it really is. KST.. err MST, 15 years ago?! :)

Thanks for taking the time on the note.

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to explaining why a board speaks to me or doesn't. When I get on a new board and the stars align and I rip it (in my mind anyway) its undescribeable the euphoria I expirience. I'm stoked to see how it all works out.

Did you ride the 168 VSR FC at all? I'm excited about that board too!!

Ayiee!!! my wife is going to kill me.

• 3 months later...

I don't think no matter what you do you will never get there unless you get the metal out.. thats just what the metal does... smooth and less pop. I know bruce was doing some stuff to my boards and the X4 seemed to have the pop which ACE has now.. looking forward for Bruce to finish my Sport Schtubby...:eek: oh and the Plankenschtein 188.... oooohhh what fun..

Have fun with the angry.. I know the x4 took a bit of time to get used to. but when I did it was fun as hell it went short and went long depending on where you ride it.. and you could change it in a second.. Gonna need to make another X4 as I think it was one fun Board as ACE can tell ya..

Good riding.. good info..

RSS