Note to New Members ×

Delam? Help, please!

crazyTKDsquirrel

Alright, here's the scoop. I just got a Donek I bought here on Bomber. When I started ripping off the cardboard, I noticed that the nose seemed as though it was hit by something (there was a hole in the cardboard). After I took the board out, I inspected it some more. My heart sank a little when I saw what looks like a small delam.

Take a look yourself and tell me what you think.

001.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

What can I do to fix this? I got this as an anniversary gift for my gf, so I'm really hoping it's not too major. Should I have a fear of it delaminating further? :(

Any tips and input would be greatly appreciated.

Woulda been more careful with the cardboard.. Make a claim with the shipping company. I always inspect a package before opening it, much better chances of a claim. It was obviously mishandled due to the flatspot on the nose filler.

If all else fails, it's a simple clean-mix-fill-clamp-enjoy situation.

Did you buy the board ON Bomber or FROM Bomber? The base looks new(ly ground?), but I can't tell if it's new from the edges.

Hope this helps,

Theo

hey man, if you want some details i've got some

my recommendation is to use marine epoxy (its the stuff that comes in a 2 tube syringe), ski epoxy isn't quite as durable

just fill the delam a little bit and....

take 2 scrapers (1 on each side of the board) and a heavy duty clamp and press it all together. use rough, then fine sandpaper and sand off whatever epoxy is left over after its cured for about 24 hours

hey man, if you want some details i've got some

my recommendation is to use marine epoxy (its the stuff that comes in a 2 tube syringe), ski epoxy isn't quite as durable

just fill the delam a little bit and....

take 2 scrapers (1 on each side of the board) and a heavy duty clamp and press it all together. use rough, then fine sandpaper and sand off whatever epoxy is left over after its cured for about 24 hours

ck just spoke some deep wisdom, he is 100% correct.

only thing I would add is that you need to get a flat screwdriver or small chizel and tap the edge back into place.

getting the area hot with a blowdryer really seems to help too

I just mentioned the ski epoxy cause that's what Bordy and Fin told me to use when we were talking about my Madd. They were pretty adamant about it. But you're right KC, not a high flex area of the board.

Ski and Marine epoxy work well, I reccomend both. Usally marine epoxy is alot easier to find(expecally on the road!) so it gets mentioned often. But good Ski epoxy is hard to beat if you can find it. Some applications work better with one more then the other.

Just glue and clamp it.... As long as you can bond the layers and keep water out it should be just fine!!!

If you have the box in tact, you should be able to make a claim against the carrier, assuming it was insured. It's not something I would leave as is. I'm not sure of your location, but if you're in CO, bring it by the shop and I can throw it in the press for you. Otherwise, as stated, epoxy and clamps. If you heat the area up with a hair dryer prior to clamping the epoxy will flow a bit better. Wedging a screw driver in the gap and opening and closing the gap helps to work the epoxy all the way into the joit as well.

So I'll take it wouldn't be a good idea if I take the board out like this in slushy snow? I was really hoping I would be able to take her out, but I guess it's just gonna have to wait. :(

Any INWES brothas wanna help me out? All I have is duct tape in my dorm room. I can buy the epoxy if needed. Heck, I'll even pay for labor (if it's not too spendy. This board left me broke :o)

ETA: Thank you, Sean, but I'm in northern ID. As for the box...well...It's not so intact. I still have it, but I may have effed myself for a claim by ripping the cardboard.

I wouldn't, I made that mistake on my Coiler (was a TINY peel on the corner, wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been holding the board nose-down) and now I'm missing a section of edge on the tail. And found this when I loaded it into the car at the end of the day. It is however an anomaly as I took a quad cartwheel in the GS that day. It isn't typical; Bruce was surprised it delammed. But, the nose of a board encounters a lot of snow. Don't ride.

PS- The board underwent therapy and made a complete recovery

Theo

post-7057-141842280946_thumb.jpg

CrazyTKD- I work with epoxy as part of my job building kayak paddles. You have been given some great advice about heating the area and clamping it tight. I would only add to make sure that it is totally dry and free of any dust, dirt, wax, etc. Epoxy likes to be warm and clean :) to bond properly.

I would not worry. I have fixed much worse!

The fix will only take ten minutes, and a day to cure. I would NOT ride it till fixed. It's nice and dry now. You ride it and it will get wet. Or worse yet, water might freeze in there and your problem will become much bigger. I know, it happened to me.

Alrighty guys. All your advice has been really appreciated. :)

I won't ride it tomorrow. Maybe I can get one of the INWES guys to help me out. I'll be riding with a couple of them this weekend, so I'll ask them then, hopefully. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait until I figure something else out.

One more thing...how do I get the epoxy in that tiny crack? Can I get some epoxy in a syringe or something? :confused:

Thanks again everyone :)

Hey Gus, bring the board with you tomrrow, We'll have a first hand look at it. I'll see if I have an old c-clamp I can give you. The metal edges are apparently bent, it may be worth cutting the folded portion of p-tex out and replace it after straitening out the edge, then clamping it all back together with epoxy.

If you have the box in tact, you should be able to make a claim against the carrier, assuming it was insured. It's not something I would leave as is. I'm not sure of your location, but if you're in CO, bring it by the shop and I can throw it in the press for you. Otherwise, as stated, epoxy and clamps. If you heat the area up with a hair dryer prior to clamping the epoxy will flow a bit better. Wedging a screw driver in the gap and opening and closing the gap helps to work the epoxy all the way into the joit as well.

you just have to read the posts better

it's all here!