Note to New Members ×

Ripstik

John E

bur my son does it all the time.

Posted here some weeks ago asking if I should take it up as a trainer since the later models are beefier and rated for my 200+ lbs.

General consensus was that longboards (skate) more closely approximate the snowboard carving sensation, I think (?)

I wasn't necessarily looking for something to approximate alpine boarding - these things just looked like they might be fun under the right conditions.

I'm still learning alpine boarding but I rollerbladed for many years and really liked it. The interesting thing about a ripstik is being able to drive it forward by working the wheels against each other.

Looks like I can pick one up for $70 or so. Evidently they go through wheels very quickly (2 wheels -vs- 8 on rollerblades) but I have a whole bunch of old wheels that I could swap out if necessary.

Pumping can also be done on a slalom skate, or most longboards. (if not all, I'm sure Gecko will jump in and correct any inadequacies in my post :1luvu:)

Really, the Ripstick is a toy. It's fun for a little while, but at the end of the day, you're gonna be sick of not being able to kick or ollie, thereby necessitating picking it up and walking. (or ultimately throwing it in the garbage)

A slalom board isn't exactly the same as alpine, but it's just as fun!

Just my $.00001

Theo

The only skateboard I've ridden recently is a Loaded Vanguard, it could be pumped at surprisingly low speeds. I can get going on flat ground faster than I feel comfortable riding, which isn't saying much... ;) It took about an hour of trying things before the pumping motion really clicked, now I only push on uphills. At slow speeds I do more of a rotational thing, once you're beyond a brisk walking pace it becomes more of a 'pull with the front foot and push with the back foot' type of action.

Ripsticks look kind of fun too, but I'll stick with my Loaded board just because I already own it.

Pumping can also be done on a slalom skate, or most longboards. (if not all, I'm sure Gecko will jump in and correct any inadequacies in my post :1luvu:)

Really, the Ripstick is a toy. It's fun for a little while, but at the end of the day, you're gonna be sick of not being able to kick or ollie, thereby necessitating picking it up and walking. (or ultimately throwing it in the garbage)

A slalom board isn't exactly the same as alpine, but it's just as fun!

Just my $.00001

Theo

not gonna correct anything, though I will add some, The Ripstick scares the crap out of me (and I am comfortable at +40 on a skateboard) The need to ollie a skateboard isn't important to me anymore (not that I can't do it I can I just suck at it) but any board with a WB longer than say 20 inches can be fun for cruising, not to mention being useable in more situations than the Ripstick. I have a huge quiver but the board I ride the most is an Earthwing Supercharger (yeah I have a fetish for this board just as strong as somepeople do for Loaded boards) which is just a good all round board I can skate bike paths, parking lots, street/roads and mild to intermediate DH even. There are lots of boards like the Superchager and their universality is what makes them so useful

uhhh yeah..... ripstik is the skateboard equivalent of a 2x4 with bindings on it.

not to condescend, but that thing is dangerous and honestly does nothing but teach you to twist around instead of pressure with your lower body (really everyone ive seen just lunges around on that thing)

i'm not a newbie when it comes to skateboards either, been doing since i was 4 years old and i still cant manage to sack up to going more than 5 mph on one of those things.

the closest thing to an alpine board would be anything that flexes with a WB of more than 32" (reverse kingpin trucks above 17.5cm wide also help alot). loaded, fibreflex, etc., they all work. (though i would avoid pintails, the make you think of your front foot as your power more than your back)

good luck :biggthump

Every day during the ski season, at every resort, people come in for lessons and the supervisor queries them about their abilities. Every day people respond saying that they know how to "carve". The problem is, that "carving" has become synonymous with turning a snowboard in the minds of the general public (much like the term "hang ten" just means surfing to those who don't know). In the same way, the caster board companies have mislabeled the sensation of being on a caster board. They say that it is like carving a snowboard. Anyone who has spent any amount of time on one knows that this is far from the truth.

That being said, the caster boards DO emulate skidded turns. In fact, they emulate them very well. The first time I ever got on one was under the tutelage of a high level snowboard instructor (both hard and soft booter). I immediately remarked about how pumping it reminded me of making short radius skidded turns. For this reason, I picked it up almost immediately. Of course, on Bomber, "skidded turns" is like a four letter word. To the average snowboarder, "skidded turns" has more to do with forcing a board around and has nothing to do with the round, controlled turns that I am referring to. I believe, however, that there are great applications to skidded turns and that doing them can be as much as an art form as carving turns. :eek: How else are you going to look good in the bumps and/or on uber steep, tight trails?

I recommend the Ripstik to a lot of riders to help them with several skills: upper and lower body separation, initiating movements from the ground up, sequential movements with the feet, etc.

So here is my experience with the Ripstik and Wave board (I've got both):

I got them to hang out with my 2 and 3 y.o. daughters as they rode their bikes around the park. After the riding experience I mentioned above, I had to have one. I rode with them quite a bit. Ripstiks are not that fast, so it was a good match. We kept it mostly on flat and gentle up and down hills 'cause the girls could not handle more than that. On the flats and up hills, I would pump using independent, sequential movements starting with my feet while trying to keep my upper body as quiet as possible. I quickly found out how well this thing could move with very little effort if I rode it like I would ride a snowboard through moguls. On the gentle downhills, I would simply open up my turns a little. I made short, medium and long radius turns that felt exactly like skidded turns on a snowboard. They were nice and round and could be adjusted for shape and size by using the same movements I would on the board - while skidding (you did catch that this thing is NOT like carving, right?). It was a real blast. My oldest daughter is now 5 and motors on her bike, so I am not as interested in trying to keep up with her on the Ripstik anymore. It is too much work to keep it going that fast on flats and up hills for any length of time.

Last September, I attended a snowboard jump camp at the Lake Placid Olympic training center. I had arranged lodging with some guys from other areas that were all attending the camp. It was pretty wild that when I arrived, we all had Ripstiks with us. These guys are all experts at the art of carving and the art of skidding turns, so we decided to hike some of the hills around the Lake Placid area. Someone mentioned earlier that you would end up picking it up and walking. That was certainly true for these hills. I was not interested, nor do I think that I was physically capable of pumping up these mountains. So we hoofed it, and it was worth every step. It had been a while since I had that much fun. Again, we made short, medium and long radius turns, only now I was going down big hills and had a lot more speed. It was a blast and I really did feel like I was snowboarding.

I have to mention that I have not done any SL skateboarding. I can see how this would be more like carving and I believe that I would really like it. I liked the versatility of the Ripstik, though. I feel like I can take it down any paved hill and keep it in a reasonably narrow corridor. I cannot do that on a skateboard, but maybe I could on a SL board? I am sure that I will try someday, but I can't justify another toy right now.

Lastly, two weeks ago, I took the Ripstik to the skatepark. I had an absolute blast. It felt really good. My only gripe is that I could not tail drop. I am sure that someone can, but I almost ate it hard once and I just am not willing to take chances. That thing just feels terrible when you are tail dropping. For this reason, I just went to the places that I could roll in. Once I got that going, the thing felt like riding a snowboard through a terrain park - again, skidded turns only. One can easily pump the transitions of the bowls/ramps and continue through the park without having to kick or Ripstik pump. That is probably not very clear - I mean that you can pump it on the ramps like a skateboard.

I really enjoy riding it. I do not ollie it - and I ollie pretty well on a skateboard. I do not do kickflips or grind either. I just enjoy making a lot of snaky, fun turns on hills, ramps, or wherever.

not to condescend, but that thing is dangerous and honestly does nothing but teach you to twist around instead of pressure with your lower body (really everyone ive seen just lunges around on that thing)

I am not sure why it would be dangerous, but I agree with what you see. I thought the same thing. I was lucky enough to have a good snowboard instructor teach me, so he made sure that I was not doing all of that. It is rare to see anyone ride this way, though. If you think about it, the same is true with snowboarding - how often do you look around the mountain and see people making efficient and effective moves on their snowboards? That does not mean that "snowboards teach you nothing but twisting around instead of pressuring with your lower body". People are just really good at hacking their way through things to learn them.

My dad took a video last year of my nephew and me riding a Ripstik. My nephew came down the hill first and he was doing exactly what you said - a lot of twisting, contorting, forcing the board around. I wondered if that is how I look (not knowing that I was on the video as well). I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that he got me as well. It seriously looked like I was descending on a snowboard - angulation and all - upper body quiet and doing everything with my lower body.

As with anything else, it would not hurt to try before you buy, but if you have the money, I recommend it. IMO any cross training can help.

I had a bunch of different answers, you can play on a mini with daughter in the park (I have with my neices), Slalom of course is another prime example of a form of skateboarding that really compliments snowboarding (ask Rick Floyd/wavechaser) I could go on but the main reason I will never bother with a ripstick is that I can't to this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lqc3vDkhOo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lqc3vDkhOo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Phil - I really don't know if I will try one but I appreciate your analysis. I've never skateboarded either.

You have tried it, mastered it and can give an unbiased view.

By dismissing a Ripstik a "toy" doesn't really tell me anything. The last time I went snowboarding with a buddy, we were loading our boards back into the car at the end of a great day and I remarked "what a great toy!"

Most of my skier friends look down on snowboarding but they have never tried it. I can't think of anyone I know who has mastered both skiing and snowboarding and chooses skiing. That doesn't mean skiing is inferior - just different. Saying that skiing is better than boarding (or vice-versa) is like saying scissors are better than a knife. They are different tools (toys). What are you trying to accomplish?

If someone has mastered a Ripstik and enjoys riding it, why dismiss it?

I'm glad the review helped oldacura.

Let me be clear about other types of boards. I am not advocating getting a Ripstick OVER getting an SL board, longboard, or any other type of board. I just wrote my experience with my own and how much I liked it.

I have no doubt that I would LOVE a SL board or a longboard. However, I have 5 mountain bikes (DH, XC, FR, DJ, SS), more snowboards than I care to count, 6 tennis racquets, many other racquets (I love racquet sports), and I really want to get an oversized skateboard for riding parks/street/pipe.

There is no way that I can justify getting any other equipment right now. The only way that I would get anything else is if/when my kids would get into that stuff. I don't have enough time to use all of the stuff that I have already.

BTW, Gecko, the video was awesome. That looks like fun.

KingCrimson - my guess is that the SL board would replicate short radius carves the way that the Ripstik replicates short radius skidded turns? I am sure that they are a blast.

KingCrimson - my guess is that the SL board would replicate short radius carves the way that the Ripstik replicates short radius skidded turns? I am sure that they are a blast.

I've only ridden GS skates extensively (go figure, I'm lazy) but it's close enough!

Gecko might(will) be able to answer this better than I, but it's a very fair comparison. Not only in the fact that you don't have compound movement, i.e. sliding and going forwards, but that you can pump and accellerate through the carve. Obviously I'm a crappy carver at best, so I've never replicated that on snow. With the right wheels, I can get a speed board to drift. Scary, but I suck at that too, so go figure. No clue if SL or GS boards can do that. Afterthought- My little Pocket Rockert will drift, but it's so scary and unpredictable I shy away.

O/T, I'm thinking about an FR hardtail for taking down Baldy. The rigid 29er won't be too stable there!

My guess is that the SL board would replicate short radius carves the way that the Ripstik replicates short radius skidded turns? I am sure that they are a blast.
I've only ridden GS skates extensively (go figure, I'm lazy) but it's close enough!

Gecko might(will) be able to answer this better than I, but it's a very fair comparison. Not only in the fact that you don't have compound movement, i.e. sliding and going forwards, but that you can pump and accellerate through the carve. Obviously I'm a crappy carver at best, so I've never replicated that on snow.

Alright, Gecko hasn't kicked in, so I will. Slalom skateboards deffinitely replicate short radius carves. Specifically VERY short radius cross-under style carves (Especially on a tight slalom board.)

The video shows the world championships last year, first part shows the GS course, latter part shows tight slalom (Or possibly hybrid, I'm not positive.) Brownie points to anyone (besides Gecko) who can name an "Ex" alpine snowboarding racer in the video...

My guess is that the SL board would replicate short radius carves the way that the Ripstik replicates short radius skidded turns? I am sure that they are a blast.

Gecko might(will) be able to answer this better than I, but it's a very fair comparison. Not only in the fact that you don't have compound movement, i.e. sliding and going forwards, but that you can pump and accellerate through the carve. Obviously I'm a crappy carver at best, so I've never replicated that on snow.

Alright, Gecko hasn't kicked in, so I will. Slalom skateboards definitely replicate short radius carves. Specifically, VERY short radius cross-under style carves (Especially on a tight slalom board.)

The video shows the world championships last year, first part shows the GS course, latter part shows tight slalom (Or possibly hybrid, I'm not positive.) Brownie points to anyone (besides Gecko) who can name an "Ex" alpine snowboarding racer in the video...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnmOK8XFNA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnmOK8XFNA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

looks like Special/Hybrid Slalom to me....I won't spoil the quiz....I like that video every time I watch it

GS is probably the closest to Snowboard carving but other than a comfort with speed I think it provides the least useful cross training for a hardbooter you are better off on a Carving/freeride/downhill board if you want to get comfort turning at speed and choosing lines. Tight is probably the best xtraining for a snowboard but I suck at tight (I also suck at carving which only re-enforces my point) hybrid is in my opinion the most fun and for me helps my carving the most, well other than freeriding which is by far my favorite flavor of skateboarding these days

I've found that my snowboard GS racing experience translated into first comfort, then success on skateboard slalom GS courses.

Also, the more I raced tight/hybrid skate slalom, the faster I got at snowboard slalom...makes for quicker feet and reactions.

Slalom skate racing has also got me to generate more power in my snowboard turns.

The GS lines are different on a skateboard, in that you can pinch it more (i.e. go straighter at the cone/gate) and then use the quick turn radius (even on a 22-23 inch wheelbase) to go around the cone. You still stay high, especially on a tough offset section, but the line is generally less round.

I think they compliment each other perfectly

-RF

• 3 months later...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBuWu9g9JNU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBuWu9g9JNU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

I couldn't find the thread about "Skateboard Pumping" specifically. So I did a couple searches and found this one.

Amazing, how many ways to pump.

That's some crazy balance there and some amazing pumping skills to go with it.

Dan Gesmer, from Seismic, huh?

Looks like the best manufacturers have some of the best riders (Chris Chaput too).

Pumping backwards, and switch, and standing straight forward and while doing a nose manual, insanity.

I'm just thinking of how to tweak around some of my setups. I have my pumping setup, but it's super sketchy for anything but flat land cruising (to me anyway). I only have two other boards, and honestly, i don't like my Vanguard that much, i much rather prefer my Landyachtz Mummy (i wish it was 2 or 3 inches longer though - hehe, that's NOT what she said :p).

Still, i have that setup to run cones and pump as well too, and while not as sketchy as my LDP setup, it too lacks the confidence inspiring ride once it goes past 20 mph. It's probably just me and the fact that my balls have shrunk a bit since breaking my leg.

Still, some setups are definitely more stable than others - while someone might be able to ride my Mummy up to 35 MPH, i don't think i'd go past 20. I can probably get a DH setup to 30 that someone else can easily get up to 50+. I know i know, speed wobs are in the head and being relaxed and loose...

Anyway, back on topic. Awesome video post Bryan - makes me want to rehab my leg even faster so i can start skating again.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLFZcONQAs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLFZcONQAs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzvd6VSYMU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzvd6VSYMU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5m8XVv8LEI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5m8XVv8LEI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>