Note to New Members ×

New Steepwaters, $300

Mike T

What's the difference between the two models though?

EDIT -- nevermind... half centimeter width is only diff

slightly more than that. the steep is I think 24.8 and the plow is 25.5

these are SICK boards, and for $300 you just can't go wrong, BUT...they're not "just ride it around gently" type boards. They have a more aggressive intent, which makes them really good for a carving freeride board.

I bought a Steepwater Steep from Buell a few years back and was really surprised how well it rides. Handles chopped up Utah crud well and floats OK on a little bit of powder. Put some 20 mm Palmers on for a little lift and the board holds an edge really well, a lot of fun. I weigh 220lbs and felt confident on every turn, from what I gather the Plow has a softer nose for the pow. Watch a few videos of Steve Klassen riding and you might just buy one. Keep 'em big and round, Kipp

I bought a Steepwater Steep from Buell a few years back and was really surprised how well it rides. Handles chopped up Utah crud well and floats OK on a little bit of powder. Put some 20 mm Palmers on for a little lift and the board holds an edge really well, a lot of fun. I weigh 220lbs and felt confident on every turn, from what I gather the Plow has a softer nose for the pow. Watch a few videos of Steve Klassen riding and you might just buy one. Keep 'em big and round, Kipp

There's no difference in nose flex. They all have a slightly softer nose for float and rough terrain. Only diff between models of same length is width. Im sure flex changes between lengths and the lady.

Hey BIG guys, this is a great point. I like the specs (length, width and scr) but is this board too stiff for me being a lightweight (165)? I bought an atomic don (170) as a softie ride last year and it was so damned stiff it killed me. Likewise for my Osin 3800 (the big one ... 169?), though I've gone to riding it with plates and it's fantastic.

But as a softie board is the steepwater 171 gonna be too much board for a sub-200-lb'er?

Hey BIG guys, this is a great point. I like the specs (length, width and scr) but is this board too stiff for me being a lightweight (165)? I bought an atomic don (170) as a softie ride last year and it was so damned stiff it killed me. Likewise for my Osin 3800 (the big one ... 169?), though I've gone to riding it with plates and it's fantastic.

But as a softie board is the steepwater 171 gonna be too much board for a sub-200-lb'er?

Mike T isn't that big a dude either. Klassen basically built the board for himself, and I think he's a bigger dude, but last I heard he rides FLOPPY boots, so...

if you're a light but powerful rider I think you'd be fine, BUT...I'm not confident enough in my opinion to say JUST GO FOR IT

email steve klassen

Shawn, I think it could work for you. I'm not all that big (185ish) and I tend to like softish boards these days for my size. I ride the Plow 171 with Burton Driver X's and Mission bindings, it handles very nicely. I've ridden it on all sorts of conditions from fluff to chunks to hardpack. No complaints.

Yeah, I bought another one today... my old one is a rock board now after hitting a tree 2 weeks before OES on it...

Fantastic all-round boards!

I've got 171 Steep, I'm 180-185lbs, 6' tall. I find it very stiff along contact edge. The only softness is in the nose shovel. You have to hammer on it like on a race board. Way stiffer then 3800 169.

Hey Shawn, I had the 164 Steep and have not tried the 171. Definitely not too stiff for me at 145 pounds but a solid board. That was a couple of years ago. I seriously doubt you would overpower the 164 on softies. I would also guess that the 171 would be soft enough for you. Which one you get depends on how big of a board you want, what turn radius you want it to make, and what conditions you want to ride it in.

Buell

New Steepwaters, $300 at Wave Rave. free shipping.

http://www.waveravesnowboardshop.com/istar.asp?a=3&manufacturer=2575&dept=1

Plow 171 and Steep 171 in stock.

Thanks Mike. I enjoy the Plow but wanted a narrower board. I just bought a Steep.

Cheers.

Edit:

Here is a thread I started some time ago asking about the specs for a Steep 164:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19654

• 2 weeks later...

My new 171 Plow just arrived. Good experience dealing with Wave Rave - can't beat the deal, a few cents under $300 with free shipping.

I likely won't ride it till next December due to my knee issues, looking forward to it for sure. The old one (took a bit of a beating at the same instant my knee did) is now officially a rock board.