Note to New Members ×

OT : Choosing between 2 bikes

Surf Quebec

I want to buy a bike, mainly to go to work, 11 km (7 miles)

I'm thinking about an hybrid bike.

I saw a 2008 Specialized Sirrus in sale (569 from 629 CAD)

My other choice would be a 2009 Giant FCR 3 (500 CAD)

I do not know much about bikes, what do you think of those choices ?

Those 2 are in my budget.

For commuting, all other things being equal, get as high-end a drivetrain as you can afford. It's amazing how much more wear your average commuter rig sees compared to the average bike used for recreation, even by an avid cyclist.

I'm not familiar with the two bikes you mention, but from the price points you list, assuming they are a comparable style bicycle, I would guess the Specialized would be the way to go.

Of the two, if the drivetrain components are equal, I would go with the Specialized. I just have never really liked Giant build quality. But that Specialized might actually be built by Giant. Giant is a huge bike builder and builds OEM bikes for a number of different labels.

Now, if it were me, I'd look into used. You'll pay 50% of retail and there lots of bikes around that sit in garages, gathering dust. Look at kijiji, Craigslist and pinkbike.com

Parts are pretty much equivalent. The main difference is the geometry. Specialized tends to build short frames. Based on top tupe length compared to seat tube length and standover height, a Large Specialized is like a Medium Giant. If you like short frames, go with Specialized, if not, go with Giant. I've been riding a Giant since 2004 and I have no complaints. It's not a bike that makes you go "Wow!", but it gets you from A to B and back without any problems.

Petrol:

If both have 700cm wheels, is there really any difference? Throw a cushy seat and fenders on a hybrid and isn't it a commuter bike?

not nessasarily... for more bombed out roads you may want to consider something with a little beef

http://www.touringcyclist.com/bikes/model_17438.html

btw, get a $20 Delta Airhorn that you can pump up with your bike pump. It makes you sound like a semi-truck or a train.

I've checked for a used bike.

I've found a Marin Mill Valley, but it's a 2003.

Do bikes evolve so fast that a 2003 is like an antique (like a NSR for a bike ) ?

A 2009 model is 1400 CAD (1130 USD)

http://www.marinbikes.com/2009/ca/bikes/specs_mill_valley.php

The bike is supposed to have 500km (310 miles)

This is the spec of the 2003:

FRAME

* 7000 Series Full Triple Butted Aluminum Edge top and down tubes, with full double butted seat and chainstays

* EVO 7000 Series Aluminum Rigid, 1 1/8" Fork

* WTB Momentum Comp AL Threadless 1 1/8" Headset

DRIVE TRAIN

* Shimano SL-R440 Shifters

* Shimano Tiagra Front Deraileur

* Shimano Tiagra Rear Deraileur

* Shimano 9 speed, 12-25 Cassette

* Shimano Tiagra, 52/42/30 Crankset

* Avid Single Digit 5 with power modulator Brake Calipers

* Avid Speed Dial 5 Brake Levers

SADDLE / BAR / STEM / PEDALS

* WTB Speed V Sport, with Love Channel and Comfort Zone, Cro-mo Rails Saddle

* Marin Comp Alloy Micro Adjust Seat Post

* 6061 Aluminum 170gr Flat Bar Handlebar

* Forged and CNC, 4 bolt Road Stem

* Dual Density Tape

* Alloy toe clip and strap Pedals

WHEELS

* Formula Hubs

* Formula Xero Lite XR-3, 16 hole front, 20 hole rear Rims

* Hutchinson Excel Road, 700C x 28mm Tires

How much would you pay a 2003 ?

Thanks

2003 is not old. I'm still riding a 1999 Specialized Rockhopper as my every day bike. I am really lax on maintenance and I never have had a problem with it. I have put thousands of miles on it. I have demoed newer bikes and see and feel no difference.

Price depends entirely on condition but I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it.

I have 6 bikes, all assembled from components but one: I purchased a complete from http://bikesdirect.com/

I got one hell of a deal on a road bike there. The only updates to that was taking it from a tripple to a dual.

Those guys have great deals on almost every kind of bike, all seem to be made by quality factories were almost all bikes are made: Tiawan and China. Just look for quality drivetrains.

They come in a carton and you have to do final assembly, which is really easy (if you have been wrenching on bikes for a while). Shouldn't cost too much at your local bike shop if you bring the beer.

Rick

Stephane, I suggest buying a bike from an actual bike shop that has a reputation for putting people on bikes that fit them. You'll be a lot happier :) After a few miles, fit problems magnify themselves, like walking a long ways in shoes that seemed only slightly uncomfortable. Also I don't know how tall you are, there are a lot of women on bikes that are too long for them. 700C wheels make it hard to fit smaller women, and they end up stretched out or compensating with stems that are too short or weird seat positions.

Also to me, quality of parts is more important than the name on the frame. If it doesn't shift well, brake well, stay in-adjustment, etc. it won't be fun to ride and will end up just sitting in the garage.

As the other poster mentioned bike fit is the key to any bike purchase. Also, you are better off spending $150 on a real bike fitting and buying a used bike (which will probably still save you money overall).

I tried to use a mountain bike for a commuter for a while and ended up on my road bike. Have you looked into cyclocross bikes at all. Really strong for commuting.

Here are some questions:

Is the commute hilly?

How fast do you want to go?

What is your general condition/flexibility?

Does style matter at all?

Are you going to be buying lights also?

When you do buy, save some of you budget for extra protection in your tires from punctures. Either a liner or some gu that gets sprayed inside to self heal.

Good lights cost a lot. If you are indeed commuting towards dusk then get some really good lights. Please look like an xmas tree when you ride. One red blinking light running on a AA battery is very questionable. Whenever I ride I am wearing the brightest neon green jacket that can be found in the known universe.

Good luck with your purchase.

After looking at different classifieds, I find a bike.

A brand new 2009 bike never ridden , someone has bought it for her son and he didn't want a bike anymore ....

A Scott Sub 30 , I saved over 250$ on the price showed on the bill.

Exactly my size !

I did try it and it felt like the ones I was proposed in many specialized bike shops.

Thanks for all comments.

post-1887-141842280301_thumb.jpg