Note to New Members ×

499,172, I **** you not!

Fastskiguy

Well, I came up just a bit short of my 500K foot goal this year at 499, 172 but I'm claiming it as "meeting goal" because, geeze, it's pretty dang close.

So what have ya'll got in this year? I think most of us are in the 300-500K/yr range but there's a few of you guys out there getting +/- 2 million vertical feet. Let's hear it, brag away, and if you'd be so kind, let us know how you get the big vert.

For me it was 2/3rds of my days busting ass to Alpine Valley in southern wisconsin, cranking out 50-60 runs, then hauling ass back to work or home for a 6 hour round trip. 1/3 of the days were on vacation. Those were great!

I'm having a lame season relatively speaking, only 700k vertical feet on 42 days... knee injury didn't help, but I am lucky I didn't break/rupture anything so thanks goodness for that.

Still hoping to get enough spring riding in to break 1M feet...

Got about 27 days in this season. Not 100% sure on the total veritcal feet.

I only kept track for jackson since they got the verical feet club thing.

4 days @ jackson got me 157376' or ~ 40k a day

Use that as baseline

on average:

8 days x 35k = 280000' -- weeklong soft boot

9 days x 25k = 225000' -- weeklong hard boot

10 days x 15 k = 150000' weekend/day trip soft/hard boot

YTD total ~655000' or average 24259' per day

week long vacation:

4 days @ jackson hole/snow king -- soft boot

5 days @ vail/bever creek -- hard boot

4 days @ lake tahoe -- hard boot

4 days @ stowe -- soft boot

8 days running weekend bus trip to NY/VT

1 weekend trips to Stratton

damn; now i feel bad... i go every chance i got but still suck @ the sport...

--

David

I figure I only have about 1,400,000 vert this year. I say only because it use to be so much more. This is carving and skiing combined. I'm not as rabid about it as I used to be. Now when I get my fill I'd rather be doing something else to keep my on hill time fresh and exciting. Just look at my avatar to see another important part of my life.

My secret for a lot of vert is to live where I do, next to a Colorado ski town.

I have friends that ski over 3.5 million vert a year and that's just our winter here in Colorado. The most I have ever logged is about 2.4 mil.

Fastskiguy

Do you remember Mt. Fuji in southern Wis?

Yea, just unreal thinking of turn totals!

25 to 30 miles a day...50 turns per mile?

1250 turns per day @ 92 is 115,000 turns :eek::cool::D:biggthump

I only count perfect turns, some days they are hard to come by, but some days (like the 1st day of INWES) tilt the average in your favor:biggthump

<table width="450" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td class="medium" width="175" align="left">Rick </td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 2,033,182 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left">

</td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f7f4d7"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> Johnasmo </td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 1,912,120 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left">

</td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#cccccc"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> West Carven

</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 1,041,764 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left">

</td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f7f4d7"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> 8-ball Mario

</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 717,876 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left">

</td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#cccccc"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> Sqwallguy

</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 620,488 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left">

</td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#f7f4d7"> <td class="medium" width="175" align="left"> DrD.</td> <td class="normal" width="75" align="left"> 504,624 </td> <td class="normal" width="50" align="left">

</td> <td class="small" width="50" align="center"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

The average is not that high this year, gone snowboarding 29 times yet, adding up to 173,475 m (569,143 ft) of altitude. Highscore: 11,272 m (36,981 ft) a single day (i.e. riding from 8:50 to 14:00 hours).

I do hope to add another 5 days though unless my ankle (and the weather) keeps acting up.

I don't know anything about it. I started skiing at Majestic Hills in the last 70's. What is this Mt. Fuji of which you speak? I must know!

Fastskiguy

It was a little resort in S.E Wisconsin. They had added to the top of the hill.

Had a T-bar and rope tows. Only skied there a couple of times. We would ski from first lift to closing after dark. It was my first ski area experience. We had so much fun. We even tried to poach the rope tow before opening.

Up till then our ski experience was hiking and skiing the hills around lake Buelah.

I don't think it is operating any more or maybe it has another name. No one seems to have heard of it.

That was way back in 1964

I think this was before Alpine Valley opened.

Fastskiguy

It was a little resort in S.E Wisconsin. They had added to the top of the hill.

Had a T-bar and rope tows. Only skied there a couple of times. We would ski from first lift to closing after dark. It was my first ski area experience. We had so much fun. We even tried to poach the rope tow before opening.

Up till then our ski experience was hiking and skiing the hills around lake Buelah.

I don't think it is operating any more or maybe it has another name. No one seems to have heard of it.

That was way back in 1964

I think this was before Alpine Valley opened.

There was an article in one of the skiing rags that profiled old abandoned ski area. They had all kinds of neat pictures of the rope tow and T-bar towers, the broken down buildings that housed the mechanicals. It was neat but sad a bit, to see these little places go under and gradually get swallowed up by the woods. They had pictures of old lift tickets and stuff. I've often thought of a "tour of the mom and pop ski areas" someday, high speed lifts and mega resorts are cool but they're not the only cool places to ride.