Note to New Members ×

New to Alpine

teach

I've been snowboarding for a while with soft boots (not a freestyle guy by any means, though, nor do I street-skate--nothing against either, just not for me) and am interested in carving with a hard-boot/alpine board setup. I'm looking for suggestions/advice and used equipment. I'm 190 lbs, 6' 3" and size 30 boots fit well (size 13 street shoes). I ride at Blue Mt, PA often and met Chubbz there recently and he suggested this forum. I also carve FDR skatepark here in Philly when there's no snow.

Welcome.

And congrats on a well filled out profile.

Never met Chubz seems like a solid guy and he got you here.

Gotta run now. You will be overrun with suggestions. Keep it simple and if your board isn't toast, just mount plates on it to get the feel with hard boots.

:biggthump

The advice I received (and promptly ignored) was to get good boots that fit and a good set of bindings first. Once you've got those two equipment needs squared away it's pretty easy to jones/mooch spare boards from other forum members to get a feel for alpine. Lots of people have a rock board in their quiver that they'd be willing to lend out. At the beginning good board / bad board won't make much difference because your skills won't be there to exploit it anyway. But if your feet hurt... that sucks whether you are a newbie or an expert.

There are some pretty good deals on TD2s (bindings) in the For Sale forum right now.

I agree the least important is the board. Find a pair of boots that are comfortable and no that stiff. Something like a Deeluxe 325 and make sure they fit well. A good boot with comfortable fit makes all the difference between loving and hating alpine riding during your initiation period.

Although the TD2s and TD3s are exceptional bindings but in my opinion you should go with something softer like the IBEX (ex burton race plate). Very affordable and will give you plenty of freedom on your first runs.

teach, Welcome :biggthump! You know yourself better than any, do you want to 'try it', or do you WANT to DO IT ? Personally I agree that the boots are the most important piece of equipment. I'm from the same area (western NJ @ ride BM) there are NO shops around that sell Alpine Gear. What I'd suggest, is to take a day trip up to Stratton and check out 'The Starting Gate', they usually have a good selection of gear. Call them first (you'll find their number here) and make sure they have your sizes. That's what I did and do not regret it. I tried every boot on in sizes that they had and bought the ones that fit & felt best. If nothing else, you will know what size you really need for a particular manufacturers boot. Then decide if you want to go with used boots or new. They usually have some good sales at the end of the season, call them and check it out.

Chubz is a great guy and you have found the right place, there's tons of information here. If not current, it's probably been asked before and can be found with a 'Search'.

Good Luck, see you @ BMES10 :D. (maybe we can hit double digits next year !!)

There are a few other carvers at Blue. Just got a set of Head boots from a guy in Allentown. His name was Drew. Forgot his name on the forum? FDR rules. Do you know Grant Helfman or Steve Fose (spelling?)? Those guys rip. Is Jesse still around? Only guy I've seen do a grind on the 13' oververt corner. Did this while taking a swig of yengling. Absolutly sick. Saw a pic of Brewce doing an invert on it!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. A day trip to Vermont and a visit to the Starting Gate sounds like a good idea.

As for FDR, I know a Grant who rides really fast. The name Steve Fose is one I've heard but I don't know if I've seen him. I saw a guy named Jesse (who seemed to have legend status) ride there last summer, I think. He was really good. How often do you get there?