Note to New Members ×

Do I have "spaz arms?"

shawndoggy

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__lhQ41rg8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7__lhQ41rg8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

NO.

If you really want a critique: I don't think you have spaz arms. You seem to have them pretty wide which can help with balance. You ride a bit more open to the nose than what I like to see in my own riding. Just seeing that lead arm going early and wide, especially on heelside.

In mixed terrain or bumps that could cause a little challenge.

You do the same thing I do on toeside which is just barely dragging my inside hand. I try to go with outside hand to the snow on both turns but don't always get it done.

But you sure do have some nice turns in there. Love that camera angle too. Just awesome.

tpalka has some vids on youtube (snowytom) that I thought showed his "warmups", and he had some "no arm' or arms behind back turns or something like that. Might be good to look at.

In mixed terrain or bumps that could cause a little challenge.

You do the same thing I do on toeside which is just barely dragging my inside hand. I try to go with outside hand to the snow on both turns but don't always get it done.

CD, thanks... I definitely am looking for a critique. Could you elaborate on the mixed terrain comment? My bump riding is definitely of the novice variety. When I was riding softies I loved the bumps, but I still don't feel competent there on the hardboots. Partly I think that has to do with board length (my AM is a 176), but no doubt a lot of my discomfort is technique based.

Your heelside is stronger than your toeside. :1luvu:

Im jealous.

Good vid..... but one question..... where are all the other people and how did you pay them all to stay off you and out of the way ? Nice to rip in fresh cord... I assume this must be early in the morning ?

Yes, you've got me there (heelside vs. toeside). Gotta do the pencil pinching drill some more.

LOL, this was filmed yesterday at about 10:30 a.m. 60mph winds have a way of running people off the mountain. It was blowing downhill and the snow was pretty firm, but I was still surprised at the video to see how low I was getting on what are really pretty tame runs. Don't discount the value of a tailwind in making a flat run steep!

Many people seem to love the steeps, but I ride better and get lower on the more moderate and flat pitch hills and make better turns at slower speed and my form is much better. My friends called me a deck buzzard the other day.... "Cruizing speed at low altitude" lol.

I think the flatter areas are more fun but are definately "leg burners" for sure.

Mittens make people look kinda dorky I've noticed the same thing with my own mittens :eplus2: As to your style it reminded me a lot of the Professional Downhill Skateboarder Andrew Mercado lose and relaxed. Mercado is one of the guys whose style I try try to emulate

Mittens make people look kinda dorky I've noticed the same thing with my own mittens :eplus2: As to your style it reminded me a lot of the Professional Downhill Skateboarder Andrew Mercado lose and relaxed. Mercado is one of the guys whose style I try try to emulate

LOL, so Gecko you are saying I don't actually look like a dork, I just dress like one? Thanks, I think.:lol:

My hands are warm tho!

LOL, so Gecko you are saying I don't actually look like a dork, I just dress like one? Thanks, I think.:lol:

My hands are warm tho!

I just meant your hands look funny like all people who wear mittens but hey even I chose warmth over style (unlike xxguitarist who's hands were frozen)....your arms however do not look like a spaz,

another guy to look at for arm and hand style do a video search for Louis Pilloni

The pants hide it but to me it looks like you get No forward flex out of that front boot.Keep in mind I am the president of the Head boot haters club:angryfire. Only thing I say is to put your Outside hand down not necessarily out to the side. Like on YOUR toe side goofy, your right hand could go by your knee or the top of your boot boot. Doing that kinda locks your shoulders into position and can help you to keep from dipping the inside shoulder. Now this is just my personal Ice coast Angulation style and not to be interpreted as law.

090201_051.jpg

The pants hide it but to me it looks like you get No forward flex out of that front boot.Keep in mind I am the president of the Head boot haters club:angryfire. Only thing I say is to put your Outside hand down not necessarily out to the side. Like on YOUR toe side goofy, your right hand could go by your knee or the top of your boot boot. Doing that kinda locks your shoulders into position and can help you to keep from dipping the inside shoulder. Now this is just my personal Ice coast Angulation style and not to be interpreted as law.

Good stuff Bobby, thanks. Those are the sorts of tips that I like to be able to think about -- very simple ("hand to knee") but with more complex biomechanical consequences (squaring shoulders too).

Boots are flexy for HSPs (BTS, some plastic removed) but not fully modded. James says they look to be about as flexy as his deeluxe boots. I think some of it is the fisheye angle distorting things too.

Hey Shawndoggy: Love the video - wild camera angle. Speaking of spazzin arms (which I don't think yours are), there are lots of jibbers at our local hill who ride around with bunny arms - their arms are bent up and then their wrists bend down. I'm not sure what to make of it. Does anyone else see this? Hope y'all are enjoyin the spring riding. The bumps at Sundown are incredible!!!

Speaking of spazzin arms (which I don't think yours are), there are lots of jibbers at our local hill who ride around with bunny arms - their arms are bent up and then their wrists bend down. I'm not sure what to make of it. Does anyone else see this?

...supposed to be steezy - hands in the crotch, too. :rolleyes:

Make one move to the fall line, not two.

Rob, I'm a newb to the terminology.

Fall line = "If I stand right here and let go of a basketball, the fall line is the direction the ball would travel down the hill after I let go of it," correct?

What is a "move to" the fall line?

The move I'm talking about is rotational.

You are rotating your torso into the turn, then coming back, then rotating again.

You should really only do this once. If you do it more than once, you can create instability through all that mass getting tossed around.

Be deliberate. Come off your heels and project your torso to the apex of the new turn with one, stable move. Same with transitioning to the other turn.

The move I'm talking about is rotational.

You are rotating your torso into the turn, then coming back, then rotating again.

You should really only do this once. If you do it more than once, you can create instability through all that mass getting tossed around.

Be deliberate. Come off your heels and project your torso to the apex of the new turn with one, stable move. Same with transitioning to the other turn.

OK, understood! Thanks for the feedback.

Do you see that in all of the turns or just a few? If it's just a few, I know exactly what you are talking about ... if it's all of them, I'm confused.

Only some of them. Not all, but most.

Typically, the questionable turns are the fast, high-pressure ones. You seem to be very passive in your legs and very active in your torso.

Isolate the steering /completion movements to your lower body, taking the emphasis off of a mass swing in the torso to switch edges.

Steer with the feet / knees and draw your legs up to your chest at the switch. Doing this will releive your arms / shoulders of this chore.