Note to New Members ×

Boot Fitting For Wide Footed Newbe

soulboy

Hi there!

I read a few boot fittind threads and I understand the way to select the perfect fitting boot is to measure your foot in cm and choose the appropriate boot size. Ie round down to the next size.

Well I was immediately worried by this because of the width of my feet. I measured them and My feet are about 25.5 long and 10 cm wide (both measurements taken at widest part).

So I headed to the local shop and tried on a 26 thinking no way am I going to fit in a 25 and wow it was crushing my foot across the "nuckles" at the start of my toe, and it was fairly painful at the widest setting.

I then tried 27 which I would say was still crushing the same area although a little less. I thought this is ok BUT after an hour or two on the slopes this might end up quite painful.

The other thing I found is the highest part of both boots felt quite loose. I guess its because I am quite skinny.

I normally wear 28 softboots and shoes because of my wide feet.

Any advice ?

Many thanks

1. Find out what model boot runs wide.

2. Buy that boot in your size. You want a boot that properly fits your foot and ankle. Don't up-size to a poor fitting boot just to accommodate your wide foot.

3. Have the fore foot area on that boot blown out. You can easily gain 1/4 inch or more in the width of a boot by stretching it. It's done all the time.

1. Find out what model boot runs wide.

2. Buy that boot in your size. You want a boot that properly fits your foot and ankle. Don't up-size to a poor fitting boot just to accommodate your wide foot.

3. Have the fore foot area on that boot blown out. You can easily gain 1/4 inch or more in the width of a boot by stretching it. It's done all the time.

Hi thanks very much I was trying the Deeluxe Trac 225. Does anyone know a wide fitting boot ?

Thanks

I have deeluxe indys in size 26(feet are 26.7 and 26.8). The length is ok, they are snug, but work. the problem I have is width as well. When I put them on they feel fine, but after a little while, both my feet start to seriously hurt. The pain is kind of a lateral pressure on the front of my arches, like someone is pushing on the inside of my foot just behind the first big toe "knuckle." I don't know if this is what your pain resembles, but it sounds like it might be similar

after reading your post, i decided to measure my width of with my foot flat on the ground. It is approximately 10.5 cm across. I've never thought my feet wear especially wide, but they seem to be enough that the boots are not comfortable.

I haven't gone to a bootfitter yet, so i cant vouch for that route, but i did find a partial solution. my liners are heat moldable, and when I molded them, i followed the instructions that most say, and put my insole on the bottom of my foot, then put a sock over it to keep it there while sliding my foot in. I was hoping that after molding the pain would go away, but it didnt. I was getting fed up to the point I was thinking of just reselling the boots here on BOL, but figured I would try taking out the insole just for kicks. As strange as it sounds, it worked. after taking out my insoles, my feet were able to have enough room to relieve some pressure. I'm not sure exactly why it worked, because the pain seems to be caused by a width issue, and removing the insole only seems to make the liner have more room above and below my foot.

Anyway, it relieved a little pressure, and between doing that, wearing very thin socks, and popping the buckles loose while I am on the lift, i'm finally able to do more than two runs without taking a break.

I think before I go to a bootfitter, I will try one more thing. I am thinking I will remold my liners one more time, however this time when I do, I will basically add a bunch of extra padding on the sides of my foot. This way, it causes the liner to mold slightly wider than my foot(by making the liner thinner there), so when I remove the padding, I will hopefully have enough room for a comfortable fit. Good luck!

Kex - the last time I had mine widened, I did it at the base of the mtn. It took about 20-30 minutes, wasn't a ton of money and they did two stretches on it after I said the first one wasn't enough. Good stuff. Pain free since then.

I was getting the cramping, kind of crush thing across the metatarsals. Don't know if you can hold on until then. I think I would want the boot wider and more padding at that spot, but I know you can mold these a few times.

Also I run Burton Fires and thought I had a pretty wide foot. I do usually have to one widening done on my 28.5s.

FWIW

I've had Raichle, Deeluxe, UPZ and Heads. I have a 25 triple e width foot and in my experience I'd say that the UPZ was the widest followed closely by the Head. The Raichle and Deeluxe boots are quite a bit narrower plus for some reason the 25/25.5 Deeluxe shell has a rivet right where that bone behind your small toe is and it is not a good place to try to blow out a shell as that is the lower buckle attachment.

I currently use the Head boots as I like how they ride. I never got comfortable riding the UPZ, just didn't work for me. The Deeluxe rode great but hurt so I ended up with the Heads which I'm very happy with. Put in a set of Thermo liners and you should have more than enough width without having to do any shell mods.

I have size 6.5 EEEE (quadruple E) feet (US sizing). Length 245 mm, width 100 mm. So my feet measure Mondo Point 24.

Got 2009 UPZ RC10 size 25, because size 24 didn't have enough volume (according to my bootfitter). I had both pairs of boots for comparison.

Bootfitter still had to stretch them out approximately 1 inch wider. No, I'm not exaggerating. Comfy.

Also tried Deeluxe Track 700T (last year's model), but bootfitter said it was a no-go.

Hi there!

I read a few boot fittind threads and I understand the way to select the perfect fitting boot is to measure your foot in cm and choose the appropriate boot size. Ie round down to the next size.

Well I was immediately worried by this because of the width of my feet. I measured them and My feet are about 25.5 long and 10 cm wide (both measurements taken at widest part).

So I headed to the local shop and tried on a 26 thinking no way am I going to fit in a 25 and wow it was crushing my foot across the "nuckles" at the start of my toe, and it was fairly painful at the widest setting.

I then tried 27 which I would say was still crushing the same area although a little less. I thought this is ok BUT after an hour or two on the slopes this might end up quite painful.

The other thing I found is the highest part of both boots felt quite loose. I guess its because I am quite skinny.

I normally wear 28 softboots and shoes because of my wide feet.

Any advice ?

Many thanks

Just a few extra pointers.

First off - you actually have to round DOWN, not up the mondo size. 25.5, most likely would be MO 25.

Next, wow, 25.5 feet and you wear size 28 softies. You could use them as flippers in the pool :ices_ange. Just kidding. Though, size 28 seem to be on the excessive side.

And last - the most bothering for you is the width. IMHO - you get the right lenght size and run (not with the new boots, because it's gonna heart :ices_ange) to the best bootfitter around and have them stretch the shells and mold the liners.

That should be it. Good luck :biggthump

Damn, more people with Duck Feet :) I have 8 4E paddles. I simply got lucky when it came to boots. I found some Raichle 325's with Thermoflex liners on eBay. My boot fitter did have to stretch the shells a little bit, but other than that the fit is perfect after doing the heat/pack-out on the liners.