Note to New Members ×

PureBoarding Technique Tips?

surfinsmiley

I`m wondering if anyone here has some tips they`d like to share regarding the PureBoarding style?

I know there are a few people here that attended the Clinic at SES. Care to share?

I`m very interested in learning the heelside rail grab turn. I seem to be able to do a fairly adequate version of the toeside but the heel side version is eluding me. I`m not interested in the laid out turns but I love the look of those fast powerful, compressed body, rail burying turns that they seem to have worked out so well.

No hints on the grab technique, but some thoughts of my own on the subject...

I'd be happy to learn the nosepress to fakie carve that Joerg does so well. Seeing that was one of my main motivations on getting my PureBoarding #Two board. I still need lots of practice to pull it off, but does anyone have any good recommendations on the stance to make it right for those kind of moves? I've got the 158.

n650899606_1343579_8677.jpg

Joerg rides somewhat around 25-30°/55°. I for myself have ridden 40°/55° and it worked out well. With lower angles i would have had boot out.

The grab is quite easy with a wide board and it is really a method of tightening the turn. In fact it is nothing more than a strong angulation. From a technical point of view, the pb style is nothing special. It is more: How to start movements, where is my balance and how can I maximize the fun out of every cm on the snow.

The trix are in first not a matter of the binding angle. They are much more the result of a lot of practice and lots of face plants.

The trix are in first not a matter of the binding angle. They are much more the result of a lot of practice and lots of face plants.

Yes, I know that - I'm already practicing...:rolleyes:

But I was more thinking about stance width and setback regarding the nosepress... I feel if I have too wide stance I have trouble carvinging but it makes it harder to nose press...

Yes, I know that - I'm already practicing...:rolleyes:

But I was more thinking about stance width and setback regarding the nosepress... I feel if I have too wide stance I have trouble carvinging but it makes it harder to nose press...

The "Two" is designed for this riding style. Just place your bindings centered with a moderate stance - not too wide. The board is quite short, lightweight and forgiving. You don't need a wide stance.

Hey Surfinsmiley

I can't give specific Pureboarding Style tips, but I would like to add a couple general thoughts that MAY help you with your heelside grab goal.

When you watch Jacques and Patrices' EC style and the Pureboarding style at first glance they look both similar and quite different. If you take a closer look at the foundation or fundamentals of both the EC and Pureboarding 'style' you realize that they are both based on the Swiss rotation technique. The Swiss rotation technique's roots are surfing and skateboarding. I know from reading your profile and past posts that you are an accomplished surfer, of course this gives you an advantage if you desire either one of these 'styles.'

OK, now lets looks at the Pureboarding grabbing heelside turn vs the EC fully stretched out and laid out heels side. The main difference in the two turns, when style is not evaluated, is the flexed or extended legs. To do the Pureboarding heel side turns you can't extend your legs, if you extend your legs you can't reach the board. Note: Go to the CERN site and watch the animations of the: rotation, flexion & extension and push-pull techniques.

OK, my 2 cent tip. It is my feeling that the most underrated component of the rotation technique, when trying to lay out a turn, is the transition. I haven't seen Surfin' ride, but when watching video after video of guys ECing online I see that errors in the transition magnify errors when trying to layout an EC turn. The EC turn is blown at the point of the transition. So, maybe experiment and evaluate this part of your riding.

For the record I really enjoy the Pureboarding gang, even though I prefer to layout turns in J&P EC style. If one of the Pureboarding members read this thread, I hope I haven't over simplied anything with regards to your style. If I have, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Rob

Hey Surfinsmiley

. . .

Note: Go to the CERN site and watch the animations of the: rotation, flexion & extension and push-pull techniques.

. . .

Cheers

Rob

I've been to this CERN site, but I can't find any animations or instructional materials. Am I in the wrong place? Do you need to be member, or could someone post the correct link please?

Yes, it seems they took it out. It was an animated picture showing counter-rotation and rotation techniques. Very well done. The vid on the push-pull technique on extremecarving.com is good but these little animations helped understand how it differs from counter-rotation. That was a nice educational material. Too bad !

I remember that animation. It was a really good little bit of brain food.

SO... Yesterday I went out with one goal in mind, learning the compressed heelside turn.

Unfortunately it was like 15C the day before. I ended up trying to ride a snow base that was soft as soft serve icecream with 10cm of fine powder on it from the nights snow and then another few cm of hard popcorn snow falling during the morning snowstorms.

Without a doubt the worst snow I`ve ever tried to ride.... Progress=ZERO. I`ll try again next week:mad:

I should have saved that animation; every time I forgot if my style was "French" or "Swiss" I had to check that out to remind myself. I can't remember which it is now. Shoulders square to the slope, very quiet upper body. French maybe..

Using the way back machine

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/snowboard/tutor.html

I found this. I haven't looked if the videos are there or not.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080119202721/http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/snowboard/tutor.html

this is their last "archive" of the site.