Note to New Members ×

Extension and speed scrubbing

Corey

This was in big canuck's "Toeside initiation" thread, I didn't want to muck up that thread with this off-topic diversion.

This is an extremely dynamic position compared to the other pictured racers.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/ursle/Vue/d5c1f564.jpg

from this highly flexed position at the apex of the turn, he has alot of room to push hard/extend into the bottom half of the turn thus checking/scrubbing alot of speed before flexing back up into the transition.

Flexion /extention is the key to altering turn shape and increasing braking power at the finish of the turn.

I'm very intrigued by the last part. (emphasis is my doing) Are you saying that compressing through the first half of the turn and then extending through the last half will help to scrub speed?

I definitely tend to do the opposite, more like the push-pull/extreme carve school of thought where you start the turn compressed and extend the legs outward towards the apex and then suck them back under you in the latter part. My experience so far in hard conditions says that extending past the apex is more likely to break the edge free of the carve due to the added pressure, but that could be from something entirely different that I'm doing wrong.

Doesn't being fully extended at the end of the turn lead to a big slow crossover-type of transition?

Please offer any suggestions you may have, I would like to learn both styles.

What I do when I try to scrub speed with turn shape is; flex (pull up) into the transition, unwieghting thru the transition so as not to power too hard into the new turn, delaying slightly the extention to the apex, making a more abrupt extention thru the bottom of the turn, pulling up into the next transition, so that maximum board flex rebounds up the slope rather than across or down the slope.

Some of the terminology might escape me.:confused:

If I extend early in the turn, before apex, the rebound can be directed down slope to enhace speed. Like pumping the transition in a pipe (skate or snow).

I guess using/feathering the flex/ext for "rebound managment" is what I'm trying to get at.

I just spent the last two evenings (8hrs total) on my coiler slc and, again, (I've mentioned this before on bol), I LOVE riding this short-radius board with a very dynamic compression ( this could actually be me trying to extend but fighting the g forces) during the apex of the carve, with a push towards the end before the transition. If you're familiar with the "feed the dollar" analogy, I use that + compression and then extension during transitions. This I use on greens/blue runs (and some steeper blues) and it gives me air-time during the transition so that when I come diving into the next turn, I can drop the tip/edge exactly where I want the contact to start. The "push" right after the apex of the turn causes the board to really bite in hard (ie: deep trench) and therefore slows me down considerably. If I find myself over the back of the board too much coming out of the turn, I'll get popped (what seems like, anyhow) 3-4ft in the air. Occasionally, I'll have time to reposition the board mid-air and get things straightened around before I land again.

It's a hell of alot of fun and when I've got the rythm down, more often than not someone yells "Get it" from the lift:)

I played quite a bit with this over the weekend. Too much fun! I was all compressed about 1/3rd of the way through the turn and then did a big leg press through the final stages - that really scrubs speed well! I then sucked the board up and under me to do a quick cross-under to head into the next turn.

It obviously draws attention too as I've never had so many random people making positive comments about my riding, including a whole bunch of the provincial ski team that were training on the next run over. I was brushing my hip on the heelsides and my thigh/knee on the toesides. Wow!

I spent most of the day Saturday on my Volkl 178 GS, Sunday I switched to my Donek 171 FC to play with tighter radius turns. I've never had more fun. :D

I find myself extending my body past the apex of a carve when I get lazy, especially on toe side turns. It definetly scrubs speed and holds up my edge transfer as opposed to staying compressed. It's an old legacy thing fir me, too many years of soft boots and carving like that.

I found increasing my stance angle up into the high 60s has helped me control this habit as it forces my body forward facing and actually makes it harder to resort back to that layer out toe-side style.

When my legs are fresh I have no issue stating compressed. Heel side turns I also never stretch out. I chalk this up to another of those bad habits I need to keep in check.

Freakin' awesome!

Absolutely! It was a total breakthrough day in many regards. This technique does scrub lots of speed, I couldn't use it on my usual ski hill as I'll come to a stop. ;)

I also over-exagerated my body angulation to see at what point it stops helping. I didn't find that point before I ran out of flexibility! More angulation = more edge grip. :D

Granted, this was all on hero snow on a nice steep blue run but the principles should apply on our usual crap.