Note to New Members ×

Toeside initiation querrie...

big canuck

OK, just got back from 4 days at Kimberley, great trip but my toeside initiation needs help, I'm hoping for some tips and pointers.

I'm pretty darn happy with my heelside initiation and turns. I basically drop my hip down to the snow and I'm locked in and good to go. I drive across the face, sometimes carving up hill if I need to scrub speed (I weigh 250 lbs so when I turn it down the hill terminal velocity is instant and want to scrub speed) but when I want to bring it around to toe side I really fight it to bring it around the 180 degrees.

When i'm on mellower runs, and I know I can open it up, I can rail it pretty good heelside and toeside linking turns pretty darn well, more of a slalom style. I drive my knees on my tosides and the board turns on a dime but thats when I'm already going a pretty good clip.

I watch Jack Michaud, Geoff, TT and EZE in that Sunapee video and if I could ride like that I would die a happy dude. I think my heelsides are not far off what they are doing but I just feel like I fight my toesides so much. It sems they just "fall into" their toesides at lower speeds which is kinda how I feel on my heelsides.

I really don't understand Inclinate and pronate or what you guys talk about here.

"Keep low", "open the door with your hip" were 2 things I thought about and had real improvemnts, again morseo on the heelside.

Does a shorter SL board make more sense to parctice on, 170 ish FC boards?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I'll be honest, I think I have pretty solid A.D.D. so long messages are challenging for me to digest.

Sorry for the long note

Thanks

K

when I want to bring it around to toe side I really fight it to bring it around the 180 degrees.

Obviously photos or video would be great, but here is what I focus on...

Make sure you are looking ahead. By ahead I don' mean the spot where you will be in 0.5 seconds, look to the spot where you will be in 2 seconds. The rotation of the head will affect your shoulders which will affect you hips which will help bring the board around.

Make sure that the board is at a steep angle to the snow. The image I always think about is the one of JaseyJay coming over a roller with the board almost perpendicular to the snow. Of coarse, I cannot find that photo but here are a few others.

on-edge.jpg

lkosglow.jpg

wtf is that fu manchu thing on this guys face?!? :confused:

He's probably wearing Raichle Flex-Ons too... :rolleyes:

dmr.jpg

:D

Glad you like the vid! We are overdue for another one. You might find this article (with pictures!) helpful...

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/toesideproblem.cfm

Great article! I have seen the reaching for the snow syndrome. Lucky for me, my ski background keeps me straight. :)

The funny thing is my toeside is great but my healside is weaker. I'm still trying to find the right skill to execute it consistently. After reading and looking at the pictures in that article I realize that I'm not dropping the hips enough on my healside turns. I think I'm rotating my hips too much. Having my hips facing forward limits angulation and I stack up much like the good toeside turns you have pictured. The problem is that it's easier to create more edge angle on the toeside by using the knees and ankles. That won't work on the healside, so you have to drop the hips.

Does that make sense? I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if it helps.

I've been riding mostly 171, 175 Donek FC1's with 18 cm waists. I also took my 162 Rentiger and had a lot of fun on it.

I wear 28.5 Stratus Pros TD2 SI with suspension kits or TD3's. Angles are 60fr and 50-55 deg rear. 6 deg cant discs fr and rear turned so the alignment dots are at 60 deg at top dead center (fr and rear but opposite, I think that gives me equal toe and heel lift with no inward or outward cant...?)

I don't think I've ever booted out.. I don't have a ton of boot overhang. Maybe I need some tips to get my board up on edge more? I can't help but think I'm not getting my board to decamber fast enough to come around or something like that.

I tried running running shallower angles but my knees were SCREAMING!!! It just did not gel.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

K

I wear 28.5 Stratus Pros TD2 SI with suspension kits or TD3's. Angles are 60fr and 50-55 deg rear.

You have to have overhang at those angles, especially your rear toe. I have a 21cm board and 28 boots and I have to run 58 degrees to have zero overhang.

This is zero overhang:

photo_setup_boot.jpg

6 deg cant discs fr and rear turned so the alignment dots are at 60 deg at top dead center (fr and rear but opposite, I think that gives me equal toe and heel lift with no inward or outward cant...?)

If your rear foot is around 50-55 and the cant disc is at 60, you have a tiny bit of inward cant. Try setting your rear cant disc at 5 or 10 degrees less than the binding angle for a little outward cant. Unless you are naturally knock-kneed, you'll probably find this helps toeside initiation.

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/TD2_setup.cfm

This is an extremely dynamic position compared to the othere pictured racers.

d5c1f564.jpg

from this highly flexed position at the apex of the turn, he has alot of room to push hard/extend into the bottom half of the turn thus checking/scrubbing alot of speed before flexing back up into the transition.

Flexion /extention is the key to altering turn shape and increasing braking power at the finish of the turn.

If I'm reading the article right I'm trying to bring my left hip forward to some degree ahead of my rear foot (goofy), hips facing more forward, drop it down. The "pencil pinching" is on the right side then correct?

I adjusted my rear binding center to 50 deg down from 60 to get some outward cant and the binding is still 50 deg.

It all makes sense but sounds so unnatural, If I'm doing all these things I should be, in theory, "stacking" my upper body right?

Gonna try and give er a go tomorrow.

Thanks for the pointers

If I'm reading the article right I'm trying to bring my left hip forward to some degree ahead of my rear foot (goofy), hips facing more forward, drop it down. The "pencil pinching" is on the right side then correct?

correct.

I adjusted my rear binding center to 50 deg down from 60 to get some outward cant and the binding is still 50 deg.

If the binding angle is 50 degrees and the cant disc angle is 50 degrees, you have zero cant and pure heel lift. Try that first and see how it feels. If you like it, try some outward cant - set the cant disc at an angle lower than the binding angle.

But you are going to have major boot drag at 50 degrees with 28.5 boots on an 18 or 19.5cm board when you tilt the board up.

You're a genius, must be that French Canadian in you. Went to the local hill today, bluebird day, nice and quiet. Caught some nice fresh grooming.

First day on my new (original) Madd 158 (SWEET!!!). Made the adjustments on the rear binding and, really quickly, figured out how to drop the hip on front side.

Holy crap. I can't belived I've snowboarded for that long without doing that on front side. It all came together. I rode stuff that I've never have before with such confidence. I could see my shadow and I was definitley "stacked"

Best day ever? Top 10 for sure.

If you're not doing what it says in the toeside article that Jack pointed out, you're missing out. It is super simple. :biggthump

Thanks guys.

K