Note to New Members ×

Shaped skis: marketing success, but do they matter?

Neil Gendzwill

IThe main problem for skiers is that they are used to steering the skis, which requires the skis to be flat. Comming from snowboards, even if you don't carve on snowboards, you are used to letting the sidecut do the turning.

BobD

I am newer to the alpine snowboard arena, but a relatively accomplished ski racer. You absolutely steer your skis through at least the middle of the turn. This is done by driving your shins into the cuff of the boot in the 10 and 2 positions on the clock. Another way to visualize this is, in a left hand turn, driving your right knee toward the tip of your left ski. If you do not do this you give up the ability to strongly initiate the turn and typically give up the tails on exit; you end up sideways, not carving.

On the snowboard you (I think) do the same thing, especially on ice. You load the front of the board to get it to initiate, once the board is fully decambered into the turn, you shift your weight back a bit to lock in the tail and store the board's energy for turn exit.

I am self taught on the snowboard side, so feel free to abuse my remarks; I might learn something ;)

Come to think of it, Bob was talking more about pivoting then steering.

Nomenclature problem, but I do see skiers forcing the skis to turn beyond what the side cut and decambering permit, resulting in skidding.

The other problem I don't think alpine borders have, that is common among regular skiers is getting the inside ski to track. In great part I think this is because we have more sympathy for the carving edge, even on the inside ski, and certainly for me, no problem loading the inside ski (depending on the ski type)

BobD

yes, they matter

even for the skidsters. its easier to initiate the skid,

then slarve through the turn.

for the majority, linked carving generates way too much speed.

most are happy with a speed check on every turn. imo

and I do see more people carving than before.

faster learning curve for those that pursue the carve.

probably because carving is now achievable at relatively low speeds compared to how fast you used to have to go to decamber and carve on the classic stuff.

[...] but over all they really have no clue how to use them.

[...] If the desire is truly there they can pick it up. Once they recognize the feel they are up and running. Most people that take lessons don't seem to have the desire to learn to carve a ski they are totally happy skidding and making smooth round smear turns.

That sounds right to me. I see very few people at resorts able to turn well, irrespective of the sexy new gear they may be using. So there's all this hype and advertising, but people still do the same old sideslip/ little snowplough turns. I guess they're happy with that, although I have never been able to understand why you can enjoy doing something badly. It's not actually that hard to learn to do it well.

So my view: no, the gear makes bog-all difference to most people; they could sideslip on anything.

Actually the same's true for snowboarding, which is why most of my compatriots think that short soft boards with blunt edges are good. Never mind the performance, just look at the advertising and buy the one with the lifestyle you aspire too...