Note to New Members ×

Salomon Malumates - Sweet Deal

xogiox

these are the schnizzle but I am wondering about longevity with mine. I am a big bastard and I ride them hard in a high angle setup. I have noticed that they are softening a little and wonder if I will get two seasons out of them. I added a shim under the liner and they feel new again so maybe I just got them broken in finally

40 days or so:biggthump

Bought a Pair last Feb. have used them about 110 days and yesterday

while cranking a turn I hit a ridge of snow when loaded and the back right boot just plain disintegrated into putty with outer shell stiffness no longer there at all. That was with 3 strap bindings on as well? My ankle is fine?

anyway went to shop in town were bought last year and they gave me 40%

off on a new pair and are going to send the old ones in for Warranty replacement as well....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

these boots are really good with my 3 strap bindings.:biggthump

Where do you buy three strap bindings and who makes them. I had a pair of Burton three straps years ago and loved them. I've been looking for a three strap with no luck. I'd love a pair for my powder board.

Miguel

Where do you buy three strap bindings and who makes them. I had a pair of Burton three straps years ago and loved them. I've been looking for a three strap with no luck. I'd love a pair for my powder board.

Miguel

there's a reason no one makes them anymore

they suck

get any half decent strap binding, the proper board with the right width and run sane angles

a good boot helps too but a 3rd strap robs you of beneficial movement.

all the disadvantages of a hard boot setup without any of the advantages, yeah, good idea.

get any half decent strap binding, the proper board with the right width and run sane angles

a good boot helps too but a 3rd strap robs you of beneficial movement.

Out of mild curiosity, what do you consider "sane angles" on a soft-boot setup?

For example, I've just started running size 9 Malamutes/Raichle soft boots on medium Burton Mission bindings on an F2 Eliminator (~25cm waist BXish board). Right now I'm at 48 front and 42 back, which sometimes seems a little unstable-high-angles-ish in freeriding conditions; but in hero snow I can lay down amazingly well on this board, and I get close to an inch or so of boot-out on my rear heelside binding.

Do those angles seem too high/low for you on a BX board?

greg

Gillmore "because they SUCK"

Bobdea " they SUCK"

any other silly young men with an opinion?

both Bob and JG have explained why they suck...

I had my Catek FR2s rigged up with a third strap using a booster strap. It was ok, but in the end i didn't like it. I took them off.

I didn't really feel any added benefits from mine (angles were 47-42), and they were just a pain in the ass to get in and out of. Booster straps worked better on the boot itself (even softies).

Say...Did you bolt the highback on your Cateks so it would not fold forward?

and then add a booster strap? 3 straps with a floppy Highback is different than

what I am riding...

For my riding they do not suck and there are perhaps a few more people

that still use them...It is way different when I have the 3rd strap and when I do not! I have no problem, taking on and off ?

It provides me huge support forward and lots of play laterally...I love them!:1luvu:

I am with you on this. Three straps have worked well for me over the years.

To each , his own. For me? Three straps provide the toe side power I want for big boards. There is no doubt that the new bindings provide a great deal more support from those I started with, and the early reasons why 3 strap bindings worked better for me.

We are fortunate to have so many choices. The equipment is SO good!!

Bryan

I have also migrated away from the third strap. I liked to keep a booster strap on my front foot hooked over the highback and still do sometimes. The back one is just not worth the getting in and out pain in the ass. A good wide two strap like a drake etc mounted high enough on the ankle and you have all the suppert you need provided you have a good stiff boot (malamutes or the like) I like to wear booster straps to help keep the soft boot from working loose over the course of the day. I ride cateks with drake highbacks and straps and my lowest angle set up is about 62/58 my highest on narrower boards is a skwalish 88/82 so sane is in the eyes of the beholder.

I am a big guy with tree trunk legs and ankles and it works for me. It would work for anyone dedicated enough to build the musculature to match the technique I am sure. I tend to overdrive the hell out of hard boots and scare myself so I prefer this setup for all but boilerplate. It is also rideable when conditions are to soft for an alpine setup (folding the nose isn't a concern):lurk:

Gillmore "because they SUCK"

Bobdea " they SUCK"

any other silly young men with an opinion?

I made mine from Burton Missions...bolts to hold the Highback down and

leather or old parts with buclke for top strap...

it's not a issue of age, BTW, gilmour is not THAT young.

movement is generally your friend as long as there's enough support

good straps and proper technique really are key here.

a 3rd strap removes your ankle from the game for the most part, this is bad, even in hard boots but really bad in softies.

even some stepins are too stiff.

I actually liked the flex that came in the highback when I wore a third strap. I didn't have my highbacks locked down with anything. I think if the hinge point is in the right place its a benefit to have it flex. Any control additions would only be improved by some sort of BTS system. Its really a combination of boot and binding that gives you the flex and support you are looking for.

get good stiff boots first and cateks second and then go from there. the catek FR2 are so minutely adjustable that you can adjust out most problems and are only improved by upgraded straps and highbacks.:lurk:

it's not a issue of age, BTW, gilmour is not THAT young.

movement is generally your friend as long as there's enough support

good straps and proper technique really are key here.

a 3rd strap removes your ankle from the game for the most part, this is bad, even in hard boots but really bad in softies.

And that is why we have snowboard specific hardboots and don't just use ski boots universally. It's also why systems like the BTS have been developed...

I have put 100-120 days on my last 8 pairs of malamutes

my best boot.

3rd straps are a pain, with few advantages

modern free ride boots and stiff bindings are plenty

in fact the first 2-3 weeks in new malamutes feel stiffer than my af600 with td2

shortcut to moncton: mission is a SOFT soft boot binding....co2 c60 from Burton would be a better match or the Salomon caliber or the ride cad(with built in cant riser potential)

I really like the new free ride highbacks that are stiff as steel toe to heel but have a little play side to side(torsion)

personally I find most of em too stiff now and like the Salomon Relay system, am on the xlt now but prefer the thruster or the pro...the toe to heel response is the same as any modern freeride binding BUT the lateral\medial is playfull, propreoception of steering is amplified, truly a revolution to my riding

went back to the caliber (C60 ish)last week and hated it