Note to New Members ×

Tinkler System Gold

Hans

(avoiding rocker discussion)

This is my question about a lot of Tinklers and some other customs that have been posted here, why such a short radius for such a long board? My 170 has 14.2m and it wants for no extra length. 15m would be found on a 180-185. What does going to 202cm buy you with a 14-15m radius?

I think much of it has to do with the big board thing that some people have. I had it as did most people here, most of us that had the 200ish boards even as every day rides have now moved on to smaller stuff for various reasons.

Maybe these are the people who like that feel?

I think much of it has to do with the big board thing that some people have. I had it as did most people here, most of us that had the 200ish boards even as every day rides have now moved on to smaller stuff for various reasons.

Maybe these are the people who like that feel?

I started questioning this when I got a Madd 180 in 2005 (about the same time the Schtubby concept was born... hmm... ;) ) which has a ~16m equivalent radius. I rode with GeoffV who had a Donek 195 which was also 16m. The 180 doesn't need to be any longer to handle the 16m, and we were making about the same size turns. That's why when I wanted a 14m board, I only made it 170, and it works great.

Length = speed. Also bought/chosen the longer Tinkler as a simple fact that more length is more speed and more stability. You can also see this happen in the FIS Ski WC: downhill skis happen to get longer just as in the early days. Just to gain a more and stable speed.

Nice boards!

I found the 202 has such a smooth ride, it's like nothing else I've ridden. It's very fast, stable and has incredible edge hold. What's really surprising is how manouverable it is for a board this long. Has to be ridden to appreciate it.

Length = speed. Also bought/chosen the longer Tinkler as a simple fact that more length is more speed and more stability.

Yeah, I'm just not getting that. My 180 is verrrry fast, and my 170 can go quite fast as well. Speed and stability are as dependent on radius as length, if not more.

You can also see this happen in the FIS Ski WC: downhill skis happen to get longer just as in the early days. Just to gain a more and stable speed.

DH skis have very long radii, like over 28m.

This gold board of yours stands out as the radius is more in line with the length.

Beautiful board Hans!

This is my question about a lot of Tinklers and some other customs that have been posted here, why such a short radius for such a long board? My 170 has 14.2m and it wants for no extra length. 15m would be found on a 180-185. What does going to 202cm buy you with a 14-15m radius?

I don't measure it, I just ride the sucker and have fun with it.
fair enough!

Can't we just leave it at that?

Those dimensions are not for me either, but most of these riders are very good to excellent carvers. I don't understand the need for justification if this is a design that they choose to ride. It is not like they haven't ridden other, more typical length / sidecut boards.

Can't we just leave it at that?

Those dimensions are not for me either, but most of these riders are very good to excellent carvers. I don't understand the need for justification if this is a design that they choose to ride. It is not like they haven't ridden other, more typical length / sidecut boards.

But how interesting or educational would that be? Ooohh, pretty board! End of thread. Should we start a forum called "Look at my new toy and tell me how awesome it is, but don't ask me why I bought it!" ;) ;) ;)

I just wanted to know if I was missing something regarding long boards with short (for their length) radii. Chris Houghton mostly answered that.

I've ridden a 205 with 18.5m radius, and it was great, but that's the sort of radius I would expect on a 205. I was surprised to see a long radius on a long Tinkler, because I hadn't seen one before.

Fedex came by this morning........... thanks Mike.....

Specs: length 190 x width 19.3 , radius: variable and some more secrets I have to experience within two weeks (you'll get a review update)

Have fun Hans!!!, you have no idea how bad we wanted to ride it!! Mike brought it up to show us he was so pleased with it. My personal opinion it is the best looking Tinkler yet. I hope he wiped all the finger prints and droof off it :) Enjoy!!

Folks, please read Hans post carefully. Perhaps this will help/ Length=190cm / Waist Width=19.3cm / Sidecut Radious= Variable

post-198-141842274198_thumb.jpg

(avoiding rocker discussion)

Jack. The first Tinkler system board with these dimensions was my design.

I think I have already answered this question and reasoning in the past.

I love mine and it has been one of the most popular designs.

I am to blame for your perplexion :smashfrea

Bryan

post-198-141842274209_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842274211_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842274214_thumb.jpg