Note to New Members ×

Carving on Ice

Erik J

Great technique here, as far as stance and balance is concerned.

The missing element for ice is the point at which power is applied. At what point do you see snow starting to fly?

John G hits on this.

An early edge change is critical, but this rider is doing that too.

Focus more on this riders focus. Where is he looking?

If he's looking down the fall line all the way through this transition, he is likely to power late.

Shift the focus in a more sweeping arc. See more of the hill.

Exiting the toeside, I would want to see the side of the riders head, looking across and up the hill.

When the board crosses through, you want to feel as if you're feeding the nose up the hill a bit. This rider is clearly feeding it across, but more down and consequently only able to build late pressure which is the kiss of death on ice.

When you do this right, you might start to see the snow fly off the edge much earlier than the fall line. This is going to translate to more even edge pressure throughout the entire turn, rather than strictly in the latter half.

GREAT stuff! Thanks. This head turn thing in underrated IMO. Such a simple but very effective practice. I envy all of those that can break this stuff down and explain it.

Are you saying you have more overhang before or after the bias?

thanks

I have more overhang on the rear toe only with Gilmour bias, but my boots are M28 on an 18cm wide board.

My previous setup was centered down the midline of the board with angles about 64 deg front and back. The edges of my heels and toes were right on top of the board edges.

I don't really have a lot of room to play with unless I start going to higher angles, so I said screw it, If I boot out, I boot out. But I haven't so far...my over hang is not all that much. On a rug I can lean the board over to about 70ish deg before boot out - previously, it was set up for zero boot out even to 90 deg.

Yeah, the only problem with Gilmour Bias is that you have to run higher angles to do it without drag. I'm sooo enjoying coming down from 62 to 66 degree angles on 19cm and 18cm boards to my current 58 degree angles on my 21cm board. I'm not so inclined to go back over 60. I used to do Gilmour Bias many years ago (before I had heard it called that!) but stopped when I realized the angle penalty. I didn't really notice anything lacking after going back to 0 bias, so maybe I wasn't using enough of an offset.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll go into more depth about "Gilmour Bias" and how to optimize it...

there is a theory behind it involving lift and a fulcrum point... more on it later..

JG, I would really, really, really be interested in hearing you expand more on this - I'm sure others would too.