Note to New Members ×

Attaching Fin-Tec step-in heels to UPZ boots

Jonny Twosteps

I Just bought a pair of UPZ Virus boots and Fin-Tec Step-in heels from www.hardbooter.com When I came to try and mount the heels to the boots I see that the boots need to have steel insert for the M5-20mm screws to screw into. Has anyone any idea where I might be able to get these steel inserts. I have been in contact with hardbooter.com but have not heard back yet, so I thought I would try this forum to see if anyone had any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

I Just bought a pair of UPZ Virus boots and Fin-Tec Step-in heels from www.hardbooter.com When I came to try and mount the heels to the boots I see that the boots need to have steel insert for the M5-20mm screws to screw into. Has anyone any idea where I might be able to get these steel inserts. I have been in contact with hardbooter.com but have not heard back yet, so I thought I would try this forum to see if anyone had any ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

home depot!

go for stainless, the brass ones I'd not trust.

I have them on my UPZs right now. I went to a True Value hardware store and they had stainless, finned t-nuts, but not in metric, so I replaced the screws too (still stainless of course) even though the instructions say not to (liability?). There's an SAE size that's very close (still fits through the heels) and is about a quarter inch longer, so it can reach all the way to the top of the t-nuts. The top of the t-nuts sits below the footbed in the UPZs, so there's no problem with the screws coming all the way through. I don't think the supplied screws would have engaged enough of t-nuts on the UPZ unless you got some extra deep t-nuts.

P.S. I'm sure you've t-nutted the front toe piece already, right?????? If not, get some hardware for that two. They're just screwed into the plastic, and although the UPZ plastic is strong, do you really have faith in plastic? Just do the front two. The rear two are not far enough below the footbed, so you'll feel the t-nut underfoot. You can use larger screws and nuts in the front than with the fin-tecs.

Just got back from Home Dipper and the #10-24 T-nut fits great, no drilling. I used the screws that came with the Fin-Tec heels and they worked great. I have done the toe as well, a bit bloody fiddly but I got there in the end with only a few swear words uttered. All I need now is my centre discs , (which are in the post so I'm told) so I can attach the bindings to the board and everything is cushty. Look out turkeys I'm coming to carve ya!!!

Cheers Guys.:1luvu: