Note to New Members ×

Damaged My board - is this a home fix?

queequeg

Howdy Y'all!

I damaged my board this weekend. Basically, I had a collision (it was totally my fault, so I suppose that my board getting damaged in the process is Karma coming back at me). I was riding with a few softbooter acquaintances on Saturday, and I am usually pretty good about keeping behind them when carving to avoid issues, but I guess I had caught up to them and not noticed in the middle of one run ... whipped into a hard heelside turn from the edge of the trail and went cutting across the fall-line super fast - just as one of my friends was coming dowhill in the middle of the trail and clipped him (I felt just awful about the whole thing). We were both fine, as no bodies made contact but the nose of my board rammed directly into his upraised edge behind his rear binding. My board was fully raised up on edge when the collision occurred so now there is a "notch" in the exact center of my board's nose, probably about 3/4 of an inch deep. No wood is showing, most of the material is still there and the edges are surprisingly ok - the topsheet material is still there so it seems like I could just fill the area in with some epoxy, flatten and clamp and things could be basically good as new.

I will post photos later, that will obviously be more helpful but does anyone have any advice? I would take it to a shop to have done by a Pro, but I live in NYC and frankly, don't trust any of the ski shops around here. That and I like to do things like this myself ...

See you should have been with us:nono:

Hi Bobby - sorry we never met up, I actually started out at skyeship/bear and by the time I got your text I had allready moved over to k1 and then snowdon, and I was having super spotty cell reception and getting really frustrated with it. I saw your coiler leaned up against the side door of the K1 lodge later on in the day on sat - went looking for you inside but had no luck finding you. :-(

I have used JB weld with good success, although since it cures very rigid it might not work too well in areas that receive a LOT of flex.

I have had JB Weld flake off when put on the sidewalls of Winterstick Severe Terrain near the tail and at the three o'clock area of the nose, but have had no issues at the tip of the nose.

Marine Epoxy made by Devcon seems to work better in those high flex areas.

Is JB Weld a good choice?

hi queequeg

just make sure the board is completely dry and clean before repairing. store the board upside down in your warm kitchen for a few days to ensure everything drains out and is as dry as possible. I had some topsheet chip off and my epoxy repair is still holding up after about 6 or 7 years.

i just used ordinary epoxy because i had run out of marine epoxy which would have been a better choice but the repair has held up so i didn’t bother redoing it. funny that you should mention j.b. weld as that was the first repair i tried but it flaked off after a few runs. you can just see remnants of black coloured j.b. weld on the nose repair in the first pic. it is more likely user error rather than the unsuitability of j.b. weld that caused the initial repair to fail so judge for yourself. my board sustained both nose and tail damage as I got hit hard from behind which knocked me off the trail and into the trees. .

Good luck with your repair.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cloyal%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> rednose.jpg

redtop.jpgredtail.jpg<o>:p></o>:p>