Note to New Members ×

Jackson Hole dilemma looking for recommednation

pow4ever

I will be @ Jackson Jan 31- Feb 6.

My beloved Madd 168 CF BX suffer delamination yesterday(Jan 25). Will post pictures later.

the 168 bx is what enable me transition from soft boot to hard boot. Starting this season I havn't been on softie once.

Powder/tree/groom it handle eveything well. That's the board I planned to bring to Jackson Hole.

If memory serve correctly Jackson doesn't have much groomed run.

I have a donek 180 GS that I didn't really spent much time on.

First thing I want to do is get a board that's similar to the 168BX and save my vacation. It's probably too late to order a new coiler/donek/madd to have it in time for my vaction....

By no mean I have master the 168BX but I can explore the whole moutain with it. On the blue I might even carve some nice turn with it. The waist is wide enough that I can ride from lift open to lift close.

Or

I can man up and graduate to the 180. training wheel coming off in a way... The things I fear that I will probably limited to blue or maybe green run. My leg will probably get tire much quicker. Can't ride with my ski klub... and etc However it will be a good week to really work on the technique.

Or

Bring the old softie setup with me.

Which I should be able to ride all day

Which I should be able to ride anywhere.

What I am looking for is

1. Trials recommendation for Jackson

2. Possible demo/rent alpine board in Jackson

3. General thought about how to get the most out of vaction when equipment suffer failure.

thanks

David

That sucks!! Some of the shops in town or at the village have decent demos. Hoback Sports sells Priors (freeride models) and I think they demo Arbors. You might get lucky and find something stiff enough to mount your plates on.

There are only a handful of trails on the Casper/AV side of the mountain where you'd be able to enjoy the GS board. You'll definitely have fun, but why limit yourself? The mountain is huge and has so much great terrain that can be accessed and explored more easily in soft-boots.

Pow

I would pack the softies if you are going for a week. I was there last year a week b4 christmas and while I enjoyed ripping with Caspercarver for a couple days, groomed runs are limited. If jackson has full cover, take softies and explore. I wouldn take any carving board into the cliffs trees gullies at JH, just find a good freeride board. I cant see dropping Corbet's in hardboots anyway.

maybe the MADD Freeride that is posted at $250 I'm having trouble not buying it, but my new Metal Coiler just arrived today, wife is on the couch for the night;)

Good luck and have fun,

Hey pow4ever, what part of the board is delaminating? From the pictures, it just looks like the carbon butterfly is peeling off. If so, isn't there some way to re-attach it with some epoxy or something? I'm clueless about board repair, but someone out there must have an idea.

carbon butter fly didn't peel off. top sheet+carbon seems to delaminated pretty clean off the wood core.

It was shred's old new board.

It's a 2006 model board.

He's got about 10 days on it.

I got about 25 days on it.

I will def get in contact with the Madd folks to see what the best course to take in term of repair.

Any one want to trade their queue with Bruce? :p

I think my next new board will be a coiler metal.

--

David

don't know if this will help but i de-lambed mine under the binding . maybe twice as big as the bottom of binding. the shop put in four t-nuts on the base and i put an alloy plate on top tying it all together. the de-lamb was between the bottom and the original inserts. also the carbon topsheet was pulled lose. my td3s could still screw into the original inserts. i have ridden hard on this four days and so far no issues. have not noticed any change in the way it rides. look me up when your in town and maybe we can make some turns. i got a nice 187 metal prior you can rent:biggthump

post-3662-141842272495_thumb.jpg

post-3662-141842272497_thumb.jpg

post-3662-1418422725_thumb.jpg

caspercarver:

That's some real nice workmanship!!! It's almost not a repair but an improvement.

I worked for a local ski shop on the weekend(I run those bus trip so I get to snowboard for free). I haven't seem any repair remotely close to yours. Seems now a day all the shop want to sell you something instead take the time to properly fix it.

If you don't mind me asking how much did they charge you for it? Did they inject some epoxy first? or it's just held together by 4 screw and tnut?

My goal this time @ Jackson is to get the Vertical Feet Club bronze buckle.

I would love to meet up with some local; however me being a super duper ultra advance East coast beginner :) don't want to slow anyone down.

--

David

at first it was suggested to inject epoxy, but because the board is old and i am using td3 stepins, i would probably break it again. the shop put the tnuts and ptexed the bottom. i went i metal shop and got two pieces of 3/16 alluminum. one piece for the broken side and one to go under the other binding to keep all level. i paid eighteen dollars for the metal and thirty dollars for the repair. i did all the work to the plates.drilling and shaping to size. what is the vertical feet club? ya going to be riding the tram all day. i hear its pretty nice car, twice as big as the last one. i am in my own vertical club, caspervert club, make as many turns as possible under liftline and easydoesit. bein doing this for twenty years.:) yaaaa!

Thank you for the infomation casper!!!

Your club sounds alots more fun than the jackson hole one :biggthump

How does one join?

If anyone is @ jackson FYI:

Vertical Foot Club

Pick up a "Ski The Big One" scorecard at the Guest Service Center or any ticket window and keep track of the vertical feet you ski. Become a lifetime member of the Jackson Hole Vertical Foot Club by skiing 100,000 feet in a week. Prizes and certificates for 300,000, 500,000, and 1,000,000 feet are also awarded in this program conceived by Harry Baxter in the 1970s.

300k get bronze belt buckle

500k get silver belt buckle

1 million get a 14k belt gold buckle

--

David

here are a couple of links to stay in touch with conditions.

http://www.jhavalanche.org/stations.html

this link will give on mountain temps.

http://www.mountainweather.com/satelliteNEW.htm#Jackson%20Hole%20&%20Yellowstone%20Area

this link is for snowfall and accurate forecast

if it stays cold it should be great:biggthump