Note to New Members ×

700T heel lift problems

wvrocks

I just got a new pair of Track 700's. Went to the boot fitter and had

them molded. He indicated that the shell was a good fit to my foot without the liners. I could barely get my foot in before molding the liner, it was small enough to curl my toes. After molding they fit great, I had plenty of toe room and foot felt comfortably supported by the footbeds we used.

I finally got to ride them on Saturday and Sunday and I'm having some problems now. I thought it was heel lift at first but I think what is actually happening is that the liner is sliding in the shell. I can crank the ankle buckle and control it but its pretty uncomfortable. The first day I rode them in the thin socks I wore for the fitting the 2nd day a thicker sock. Both days I had the same problem.

Any ideas?

Oh btw, the new FinTecs are great.

I had that problem, but I thought it was because my shells were too big (which they are) but it sounds like your shells are probably the right size. I solved my problem by switching back to my old Thermoflex liners. If you don't have those, they're now made by Intuition.

http://www.intuitionliners.com/products2.htm

the "Alpine" liner is what they are.

why exactly? I came from a Raichle 413 which actually served me well for 3 seasons with BTS added. The 700 T is a little wider in the toe box which was the only real problem I had with the 413 other than the buckles. I was ready for new boots, knew my size and they were easily available through Bomber. I don't have a shop within 400 miles that carries them so trying them isn't possible. I also don't have the time to travel to somewhere that does. Please explain how a different brand of boot would have eliminated liner movement or heel lift.

Thanks, that looks like something that might help. It would help create a tighter fit for the liner in the shell too. I may try adding some dense foam in that location before I make the 2 hr trek back to my bootfitter. I had also considered rebaking the liners but leaving the buckles looser than before in hopes that the liner would expand more. Not sure if they will actually work that way or not though.

I know I need to move the toothed part of both cuff buckles, I have relatively thin ankles and lower calfs. I have the buckles all the way tight and its not quite enough. Moving them may aid in holding things in place as well.

I have the same problem. It turns out that I probably bought boots one size too big, which doesn't help. Everyone comments how easy these liners are to slip in and out...guess what? A very low coefficient of friction between the liner and the smooth plastic makes for slippage the rest of the time. I was thinking of putting rubber in there also...just haven't found the right rubber yet. It's a bummer, 'cause otherwise I really like the boots.

My bootfitter also will shave/grind down the edges so that there is no abrupt transition. They are made of rubber, so they grip the shell better than the liner.

Rick

Rick: Curious, where did you go for bootfitting?

I was fine for a while, but have been experiencing more heel lift lately.

I can crank the ankle buckle and control it but its pretty uncomfortable.

Tighten up the lower buckle on the boot cuff. Heel lift is usually accompanied by a forward movement of the bottom of the shin - so if you can stop that form happening, your heel might stay put too. Snug that up, and see if it helps. It makes a huge difference for me.

I'm going to try that Nate. I have to drill out the 2 cuff straps so I can move the tooth section of the buckle. I've got them as tight as they will go right now and its not enough. I'm also going to order a couple of the adhesive ankle pads from Tognar to add in if the tighter buckles don't solve the problem.

I'm going to try that Nate. I have to drill out the 2 cuff straps so I can move the tooth section of the buckle. I've got them as tight as they will go right now and its not enough. I'm also going to order a couple of the adhesive ankle pads from Tognar to add in if the tighter buckles don't solve the problem.

Well, there's your problem. :) (This forum needs a smiley-face icon with a light-bulb over its head.)

When you get that area snug, I bet you'll have a lot less heel lift.

Rick, can you tell us which of these have the rubber finish on them like yours? This is one of the few situations I can think of where friction is good ;)

IDK for sure. Shoot them an email. There is also someone on the web that sells a "boot fit kit" that I have seen that has a package of an assortment of these, but I cannot find the link. I'll keep looking tho.

Rick

Tognar has all the stuff you'll need. Buy a pair of heel lifts ($3.95), Tongue Pads ($2.95), Boot fitting foam ($5.95) and Ankle C or L Pads ($3.95) plus some Barge (Contact) Cement ($4.95) and you'll have everything you should need to get all set for less than $25.

I recommend following the cement directions carefully, and putting your liners into the boots after you've cemented the pads on. Be sure there are not folds in the pads once they're inside the shells and let the cement dry in there. The only downside to having pads glued to the outside of your liners is that they'll eventually come loose if you take your liners out frequently like I do. However, if you are careful and slide your hand down in and hold the pads in place while inserting/removing the liners, they should last a long time. Angling the edges of the foam will help this.

Did you get custom insoles? If not, I'd consider that. Anyone who makes you custom insoles should be able to do all the other work included in the cost of the insoles.

Have you guys tried to adjust the length of the anke straps on the Deeluxe boots? I also had heel lift problems. After reading this thread, I checked out the the plastic part holding the ankle strap. you can adjust the length:biggthump There are 3 positions, and on my 27 size boot, it was in the middle. I set the ankle strap cable to the bottom position, and I don't have heel lift anymore.

Though I mention it since I have not seen this in any of the threads.

Cheers